British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Canon Region coded inks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/canon-region-coded-inks-707351/)

AddyLaddy Feb 28th 2011 5:00 pm

Canon Region coded inks

Just a warning to anyone who attempts to buy ink for a UK Canon printer in the USA (or vice-versa). It appears that the very same model printer (Pixma MP560 in my case) on each continent uses differently coded cartridges. The region coded printer firmware will then not recognise cartridges from the other region.

So now I will have to buy more ink in the UK and ship it here, or get the current ones refilled at Costco. It seems such a waste to have to throw a fairly new printer away and buy a new one over here.

Is Canon the only company doing this I wonder ?

Jerseygirl Feb 28th 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Canon Region coded inks

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy (Post 9208174)
Just a warning to anyone who attempts to buy ink for a UK Canon printer in the USA (or vice-versa). It appears that the very same model printer (Pixma MP560 in my case) on each continent uses differently coded cartridges. The region coded printer firmware will then not recognise cartridges from the other region.

So now I will have to buy more ink in the UK and ship it here, or get the current ones refilled at Costco. It seems such a waste to have to throw a fairly new printer away and buy a new one over here.

Printers are so cheap...why not get a new one?

AddyLaddy Feb 28th 2011 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9208179)
Printers are so cheap...why not get a new one?

Yeh I know, but I have yet to adopt the consume the whole earth mentality of the average American. Also I am a tight fisted Northerner at heart ;)

Jerseygirl Feb 28th 2011 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy (Post 9208199)
Yeh I know, but I have yet to adopt the consume the whole earth mentality of the average American. Also I am a tight fisted Northerner at heart ;)

So am I and I do realise throwing a perfectly good item goes against the grain...but that's the way it is. For the price of a new printer it's just not worth messing around.

Anian Feb 28th 2011 6:41 pm

I had a Canon printer in the UK and it was really easy to refill. Still produced great pictures even after many refills.

dunroving Feb 28th 2011 6:52 pm

Have you thought of ordering refill kits? All you would need is one UK-coded cartridge and then you can order the ink refill kits.

If you do end up having to ditch it, you could give it to a recycle company (maybe this is harder in the US).

fatbrit Feb 28th 2011 7:08 pm

Search the web for the "Canon iP Tool". You may be able to naturalize your printer.