British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cannot get a straight answer about whether a cat going into Florida needs rabies jab (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cannot-get-straight-answer-about-whether-cat-going-into-florida-needs-rabies-jab-716285/)

Ariadne May 9th 2011 4:55 pm

Cannot get a straight answer about whether a cat going into Florida needs rabies jab

The state rules say they do, and I mailed the dept of agriculture and was told they do (via a c+p of the state rules I already got off the web) but my husband rang the state veterinarian and was informed that no they don't if coming from a rabies free country, that I just had to bring the cat then keep it indoors until it had a vaccination done there. I really need to find out the truth about this and would really appreciate if somebody has done this before and can give advice, because given how it was up in the air as to whether I got the visa at all I left it til the absolute last minute, and have no time to sort out a vaccination if needed. I would have to instead leave the cat behind then fly him in via an animal shipper later, which is so godawfully expensive that if I DO find out I could have taken him in sans vaccination after all I'll be really upset.

Of course the other option is take him in anyway and if state vet is wrong they'll make me have him destroyed which will in turn destroy me.

avanutria May 9th 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Cannot get a straight answer about whether a cat going into Florida needs rabies

When are you leaving? Our vet in London was able to do a rabies jab in no time.

Bob May 9th 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Cannot get a straight answer about whether a cat going into Florida needs rabies

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/hea.../laws/vaccine/

The info is right there, second paragraph.

candy wy. May 9th 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9352957)
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/hea.../laws/vaccine/

The info is right there, second paragraph.

That is for Texas. They are asking about Florida..:)

Ariadne May 9th 2011 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 9352974)

And the thing is, the Florida rules say they DO, but if you look at the laws - most states say this, yet people repeatedly take animals in from rabies free countries no trouble sans a vaccination, so I've a feeling the state rules are for state to state transport.

The state veterinarian has said "no it isn't needed."

The reason for the time taken is animals are tested weeks after a rabies vaccination to make sure the vaccination worked. I don't know if a simple jab is sufficient, or the backup confirmation is needed. I don't have time to wait for that confirmation is the thing.

Ray May 9th 2011 5:18 pm

the florida snakes will get them anyway

dunroving May 9th 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ariadne (Post 9352980)
And the thing is, the Florida rules say they DO, but if you look at the laws - most states say this, yet people repeatedly take animals in from rabies free countries no trouble sans a vaccination, so I've a feeling the state rules are for state to state transport.

The reason for the time taken is animals are tested weeks after a rabies vaccination to make sure the vaccination worked. I don't know if a simple jab is sufficient, or the backup confirmation is needed. I don't have time to wait for that confirmation is the thing.

Why not just get it done before you leave, regardless of what the law says? :confused:

rpjs May 9th 2011 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ariadne (Post 9352980)

From the Florida Adminstrative Code website
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/Rule...LS&ID=5C-3.009 and then click on the Word icon next to the final rule:

5C-3.009 Dogs or Cats.
(1) Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (OCVI) Required. All dogs or cats imported into Florida, except dogs or cats imported for exhibition purposes only and that will remain in the state less than six (6) months and any service animal or working dog, must be accompanied by an OCVI stating that they are:
(a) Free from signs of any infectious or communicable disease;
(b) Did not originate within an area under quarantine for rabies; and
(c) Not known to have a history of exposure to a rabies-infected animal prior to importation.
(2) Dogs or Cats for Sale Requirements for Importation.
(a) Each dog or cat imported into Florida must:
1. Be accompanied by an OCVI, and
2. Meet the minimum standards for vaccinations, tests, and anthelmintic treatments, and be eight (8) weeks of age or older as specified in Section 828.29, F.S.
(b) Evidence of Compliance with Section 828.29, F.S., shall accompany the owner or agent having jurisdiction of such dogs or cats imported into Florida or to which ownership is being transferred.
(3) Rabies Vaccination. Dogs or cats, including exhibition dogs or cats or service animals and working dogs, three (3) months of age and older transported into Florida must have a current rabies vaccination.
(4) Prior Permission Number. Dogs or cats originating from areas under quarantine for rabies must have a prior permission number from the Division as provided in subsection 5C-3.002(3), F.A.C. The prior permission number must be written on the OCVI.
Rulemaking Authority 570.07(23), 585.002(4), 585.08(2) FS. Law Implemented 570.07(15), 570.36(2), 585.08(1), (2)(a), 585.145(1), (2), 585.16, 828.29(1)(a), (2)(a) FS. History–New 6-29-62, Amended 2-5-85, Formerly 5C-3.09, Amended 9-6-89, 3-23-94, 6-4-95, 12-12-04, 5-24-10.
Found via the US Department of Agriculture's US State and Territory Animal Import Regulations page - http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...s_states.shtml

Ray May 9th 2011 5:21 pm

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/f...pbif_faq.shtml

Bob May 9th 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 9352974)

Oops.

Either way, two seconds to google the answer :)

Nutmegger May 9th 2011 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ariadne (Post 9352946)
Of course the other option is take him in anyway and if state vet is wrong they'll make me have him destroyed which will in turn destroy me.

You need to have your cat vaccinated against rabies if you are to live in FL, whether it is the law or not. So why not steal a march and get him vaccinated, and thus his protection is in place when you arrive. You can always get the first jab in the UK, bring the paperwork as to what he was given, and get the next in the series in the US if time is so short. And they are going to quarantine him, not destroy him, if there is some glitch.

fatbrit May 9th 2011 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9352993)
Why not just get it done before you leave, regardless of what the law says? :confused:

+1

It's a no-brainer! Get the cat jabbed and suitable documentation from the vet. If you need it, you've got it. If you don't need it, you've wasted a few squid and the cat got a jab it didn't need.

Ariadne May 9th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9353007)
Oops.

Either way, two seconds to google the answer :)

And it's still not the answer because it's contradicting what the state vet is actually saying, who is the final authority on this and told us today it isn't needed.

What I need is somebody who has done this before to tell me if it was actually needed.

I've READ all these websites already. I've also read accounts from people going to other states that says they needed the vaccinaion and it turns out they didn't, but I can't find any first hand accounts for florida.

Nutmegger May 9th 2011 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9353016)
+1

It's a no-brainer! Get the cat jabbed and suitable documentation from the vet. If you need it, you've got it. If you don't need it, you've wasted a few squid and the cat got a jab it didn't need.

Agreed absolutely as to getting the shot. But my point is that the cat may not need the jab for immigration purposes, but it certainly does for life in FL!

Ariadne May 9th 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9353016)
+1

This no-brainer is £60, and possibly a few months of wait to have the vaccination confirmed to have "taken," which is what it says is needed on trhe pet passport site. I don't know if Florida needs just the one jab, or the confirmation jab, and I really do need to know the truth because the full blown EU pet passport deal with the wait and confirmation test a few months later means I have to leave the cat in the UK and have him shipped over later, which is not a few quid wasted but more like £700.