"Candid Webcam"

"Candid Webcam"

Old Feb 18th 2005, 5:27 pm
Franklin

Default "Candid Webcam"

Any one else see/read about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/4272041.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4276851.stm

You can also watch the burglar in action. Pretty cool use of a webcam, the owner emailed the webcam pictures to a "remote location".

Old Feb 18th 2005, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Candid Webcam"

Read it. Brilliant concept if original. Wonder if someone is going to go into business with this?
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of webcams...anyway catch that guy that was on the news lastnight about the dancing? fantastic stuff...
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:48 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by tony126
Read it. Brilliant concept if original. Wonder if someone is going to go into business with this?
Doubt the idea is really orginal. But if the idea is original, he could file a patent on it here, but I think he has cooked his goose though (re: UK/EU patent area) if he hasn't already filed before the publicity. But a great idea either way, I am going to suggest to my partners that we set up a webcam to record pictures and email them to our home computers. We are reviewing security at our office.

I worked with a secretary who had a child in day-care and this secretary viewed what was happening to her child in real time as she worked (it was a service set up by the day-care), the secretary had a window open showing pictures - I am not sure if it was continuous feed or pictures updated at predetermined time intervals.

Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:53 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but the old ones are still good...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Even Think About It http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in550216.shtml

WHITESTOWN, N.Y. - Peeing in a coffee pot could cost millions. Eight people are suing for $600,000 apiece, in the case of a PO'd office worker who peed in the pot. Holly Jones has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of creating a criminal nuisance. State police say a hidden camera caught Jones urinating in the coffee at Robinson Aviation in upstate New York. Now, her co-workers are suing Jones and their employer. The suit charges the coffee-drinkers were made sick by the contaminated java. The court action also claims the company should have done more to protect its employees. According to police, Jones was angry about being passed over for a promotion.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
Doubt the idea is really orginal. But if the idea is original, he could file a patent on it here, but I think he has cooked his goose though (re: UK/EU patent area) if he hasn't already filed before the publicity. But a great idea either way, I am going to suggest to my partners that we set up a webcam to record pictures and email them to our home computers. We are reviewing security at our office.
He can't really patent it, like you said, it's been exposed already...but also, lot of the technology is already out there in the open source, or commercially available.
It's an old idea, I've seen it done before, mate set it up himself to watch over his major project at uni to make sure no one fecked about with it while he wasn't around...he was a tad paranoid...
First time it's made the big news though, and I'm sure someone will be offering an all in one package software rather than having to find the different bits of software seperately as is the case at the mo...
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:40 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

This is far, far from being a new or patentable idea - it's just by far the best example of the concept being used to catch a thief.

In the original news story I read about it, the guy who set the system up even pointed out that he had done it all with widely available free software downloaded from the net.

Frankling, I use a Mac so I can't directly recommend a free application for monitoring a webcam for movement and uploading any resulting images to an email account, but Crime Catcher seems to do exactly what this guy had set up, for a cost of $25 or $49 depending on the feature set.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:43 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and then there's Home Watcher for $25, and a whole bunch of others that I found by Googling for "monitor webcam movement upload".

Originally Posted by dbj1000
This is far, far from being a new or patentable idea - it's just by far the best example of the concept being used to catch a thief.

In the original news story I read about it, the guy who set the system up even pointed out that he had done it all with widely available free software downloaded from the net.

Frankling, I use a Mac so I can't directly recommend a free application for monitoring a webcam for movement and uploading any resulting images to an email account, but Crime Catcher seems to do exactly what this guy had set up, for a cost of $25 or $49 depending on the feature set.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
...he was a tad paranoid...
Do you think this is common in academia?
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:57 pm
Franklin

Yeah, I didn't think it was an out and out new idea, but that isn't the issue with patenting inventions. Improvements can be patented too, likewise for an improved method of achieving an end result. But looks like you have found references/products that teach the same invention (anticipate the same invention). *shrugs*

Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:00 pm
Franklin

Oh, and then there's Home Watcher for $25, and a whole bunch of others that I found by Googling for "monitor webcam movement upload".
Thanks for that link ... going to get it (or something like it).

Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Do you think this is common in academia?
havin' said that, he's now a programmer for a bank, dealing with secure database and money transfer....who'd have thought, and not a computer science or software degree to be found...ok, industrial design, and he did have a knack for programming, his 1st year games project did kind of make everyone else's look really crap bar one other project *l*
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:27 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Er....is he "knocking one out" in picture two???
Attached Thumbnails "Candid Webcam"-_40836747_burglary3002%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rincewind
Er....is he "knocking one out" in picture two???
does look like he's tryin' to squeeze one out...
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:43 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
does look like he's tryin' to squeeze one out...
PMSL when I first saw that pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.