Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cancer rates in USA versus UK

Cancer rates in USA versus UK

Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:34 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cancer rates in USA versus UK

Sorry if this subject is too depressing for a Friday!!!

My wife called me earlier and told me yet another one of the people she walks with at the YMCA has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. This was the 9th in her group of 20 in the last 10 years !!! She was actually very concerned, not about the YMCA but the fact that no-one in the UK she knows has Breast Cancer yet so many of the people she knows here in Atlanta do !!!

I tried to put her mind at rest and did some research. The rates I found was not that much difference (about 10%) between the UK and USA but I can understand her point. We don't know anyone in the UK between friends and family, let alone 9 !!! We have lived in Atlanta 10 years and do have more friends here but even so.

Has anyone else found a similar disrepancy here? I told my wife that she must remember that a lot of her friends are older (because adults have kids later here). We had our kids here at age 25 whereas most of her friends were 35 and up !!).. ALso, the US does a lot more anual screening than the UK (although that thought is depressing for UK residents!!!).

Anyway, just wanted to vent as my wife was more upset than I had seen in a while. She was thinking it's not safe to live in Atlanta !!!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:40 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancer rates in USA versus UK

Originally Posted by franc11s

My wife called me earlier and told me yet another one of the people she walks with at the YMCA has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. This was the 9th in her group of 20 in the last 10 years !!! She was actually very concerned, not about the YMCA but the fact that no-one in the UK she knows has Breast Cancer yet so many of the people she knows here in Atlanta do !!!

I tried to put her mind at rest and did some research. The rates I found was not that much difference (about 10%) between the UK and USA but I can understand her point. We don't know anyone in the UK between friends and family, let alone 9 !!! We have lived in Atlanta 10 years and do have more friends here but even so.

Has anyone else found a similar disrepancy here? I told my wife that she must remember that a lot of her friends are older (because adults have kids later here). We had our kids here at age 25 whereas most of her friends were 35 and up !!).. ALso, the US does a lot more anual screening than the UK (although that thought is depressing for UK residents!!!).

Anyway, just wanted to vent as my wife was more upset than I had seen in a while. She was thinking it's not safe to live in Atlanta !!!
Tell her not to worry. Breast cancer (in younger people anyway) apparently has a genetic link so if her family are all ok, she should be too.

I'm guessing that if Atlanta seems to have a higher than average rate of breast cancer, it might give even stronger evidence towards a genetic link...
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I'm guessing that if Atlanta seems to have a higher than average rate of breast cancer, it might give even stronger evidence towards a genetic link...
You mean they are all inbreds?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

Wow,the numbers do sound high.. I suppose you could get statistcs from The Canser Society here abd in the UK...
All I know is that in the UK,within weeks of turning fifty,I had my first mammogram..
I have been living in Florida since Nov 2004,and signed up with a doctor in June,she asked me to make an appointment for a mammogram...Its in October !!!!..
Redlobster
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:45 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You mean they are all inbreds?
Lol no. I knew someone would get the wrong end of the stick on that one! I mean that probably over the history of the state (less so now, maybe) people have tended to stay in the area rather than migrate out. Hence if there was some genetic tendency, it would remain there rather than be spread around the rest of the US.

That and the fact that they're all inbred.... (j/k )
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Just because she happens to know a lot of people that have breast cancer, doesn't mean its an unsafe place to live. Have you done any research on the area in comparison to somewhere else? The US might have higher cancer patients than the UK, but there is a greater number of people that live here.
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wintersong]Tell her not to worry. Breast cancer (in younger people anyway) apparently has a genetic link so if her family are all ok, she should be too.
QUOTE]

I actually raised that but she told me that only ONE of these had any family history that they knew of. They were all from the Atlanta area (like most people in Atlanta)..
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Lol no. I knew someone would get the wrong end of the stick on that one!
You can count on me.

I mean that probably over the history of the state (less so now, maybe) people have tended to stay in the area rather than migrate out. Hence if there was some genetic tendency, it would remain there rather than be spread around the rest of the US.
That still makes it sound like they are all inbred.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:47 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The US might have higher cancer patients than the UK, but there is a greater number of people that live here.
Rates tend to take that into account and are usually quoted in cases per 100,000 people.

Depends on the source of the statistics I guess.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:48 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

I wasn't really implying it was Atlanta, that's why I streteched this out to the forum to see if any of you guys who've lived in the USA have seen anything like these high numbers ?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:48 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You can count on me.

That still makes it sound like they are all inbred.
In a way I guess, but I certainly wasn't suggesting that they are incestuous. Don't want anyone to get angry with me here!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In a way I guess, but I certainly wasn't suggesting that they are incestuous. Don't want anyone to get angry with me here!
Oh don't worry about that; I've seen Deliverance which clearly contains ample representation of all residents of Georgia.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:05 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

I actually raised that but she told me that only ONE of these had any family history that they knew of. They were all from the Atlanta area (like most people in Atlanta)..
Well, worrying about it isn't going to help her avoid it. If it's any consolation, it seems that survival rates are higher in the US. Just make sure she goes for regular screening.

As a matter of interest, how old are these people you know who have breast cancer? The genetic link is only valid up to a certain age I believe. I don't know what that age is though.

There was a study which showed that Japanese women have a lower incidence than American women, but that Japanese women who have moved over to the US have a similar incidence to their American counterparts, suggesting that diet and lifestyle play a big part. I know this isn't going to help your wife much, but it's interesting nonetheless, especially after all the studies showing a genetic link. Maybe it's just that people who are genetically related tend to share similar dietary and lifestyle habits?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:07 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend (she's still alive but we're not close) in the UK and her mother had breast cancer twice and survived plus the friend's aunty had breast cancer. So, there's a greater risk for her to get breast cancer because of the family link.

Anyway, the incidence of breast cancer may be perceived to be higher in the US because more women get breast exams/mammograms, are diagnosed and survive.

Here's a page that describes the incidence of breast cancer in the EU-
http://telescan.nki.nl/iarc.html

This page shows a table of the incidence of breast cancer and deaths from '73-'92
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00043942.htm

NC Penguin