British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Canadian with US boyfriend (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/canadian-us-boyfriend-129601/)

taranoella Jan 29th 2003 11:37 pm

Canadian with US boyfriend

So many questions.

I am a Canadian with a US boyfriend who is in the process of getting a divorce. The papers will be filed in a month.

I own a small photography business in Canada, but would like to continue my career in the US.

Are there ways that I can work here legally? What are the requirements for a fiancee visa?

Is it possible that he starts a business and I become his employee?

Also, my car is older than 25 years, what do I need to do to bring it over the border?

Thank you in advance for HELP!!!!

Tara

hazelize Feb 9th 2003 12:07 am

Re: Canadian with US boyfriend

I dont think I can answer all your questions, but I can speak a little bit about the fiance visa.

You need to have met physically at least once within the last 2 years (have pictures with dates to prove this)

You must both be legally able to marry, ( must complete the divorce)

He must be a US citizen

He will need to be able to prove that he makes 125 percent of the poverty guideline and fill in an affidavit of support

You must be able to prove your relationship is legit and not a sham, you can do this by providing copies of your phone bills, reciept for engagement ring, travel iteneries/boarding passes, photo's, cards, letters, emails etc

Your fiance will have to make the application to the Service center that serves the area he lives in (depending on which state he is in) once that is approved, it goes to the consulate abroad, because you are in Canada, it will either be Montreal or Vancouver, depending where in Canada, you will have an interview there for the K1 visa, if approved you have 6 months to enter the USA, and after you enter you have 90 days to get married.

Prior to all this there is alot of footwork to do, you will need long form birth certificates for you and any of your children (if any), a valid passport, a certified criminal records check obtained from the RCMP in Ottawa, court records if you have a criminal record (if you have one, you may need a waiver), ADIT photos for the INS, and numerous other things.

I have probably only scratched the surface, but in this site there is a NG for "US marriage based visas", there is alot of valuable information there, and you will probably find lots of help there.

You can also do a search on Yahoo! for CanAm Couples, this is a groupd specifically for canadian/american couples going the K1 or K3 visa route, I have seen posts on there about bringing vehicles across the border, they will most likely have answers to those questions that you are seeking answers too.

Good luck :)

Originally posted by taranoella
So many questions.

I am a Canadian with a US boyfriend who is in the process of getting a divorce. The papers will be filed in a month.

I own a small photography business in Canada, but would like to continue my career in the US.

Are there ways that I can work here legally? What are the requirements for a fiancee visa?

Is it possible that he starts a business and I become his employee?

Also, my car is older than 25 years, what do I need to do to bring it over the border?

Thank you in advance for HELP!!!!

Tara