British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Canadian TV personnel working in the States? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/canadian-tv-personnel-working-states-64691/)

Dave Feb 10th 2002 12:41 am

Is there a hope in hell for a Canadian working in the broadcasting industry (in a
technical capacity, behind the scenes) to get a permit to work in the US full time &
continue to live in Canada? From what I've read, this type of job doesn't fall into
any category and it seems entirely unlikely that I could.

Please email me to let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Dave.

Stuart Brook Feb 10th 2002 4:47 pm

You probably should talk with a US imm. atty. who specializes in US-Canada
immigration. Joe Grasmick and Jim Eiss are two that come to mind - both in Buffalo.
See http://www.grasmick.com for one.

Dave wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Dave Feb 10th 2002 5:34 pm

Thanks Stuart. Will do.

Dave.

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:47:21 GMT, Stuart Brook

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Is there a hope in hell for a Canadian working in the broadcasting industry (in a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> technical capacity, behind the scenes) to get a permit to work in the US full time[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> & continue to live in Canada? From what I've read, this type of job doesn't fall[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> into any category and it seems entirely unlikely that I could.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Please email me to let me know.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Thanks in advance![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Dave.[/usenetquote2]

James Donovan Feb 10th 2002 7:15 pm

Dave <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >

You can get a TN-1 visa under NAFTA if you have a college degree or equivalent
education or experience. It is similar to H-1B.

Stuart Gill Feb 10th 2002 8:19 pm

>
    >

TN has no provision for equivalent experience as the H-1B does (i.e. 4 years
experience == 1 year university). There are some categories that require college
(i.e. 2 years) AND experience.

Stuart

Dave Feb 10th 2002 8:38 pm

Even for this profession? I don't see it specifically listed in anything I've read.

I've got a degree in Journalism and 5 years experience in broadcasting. Wonder if I
could weasel my way through. Looking at salaries for comparable jobs in the US, it's
hard to justify not at least trying to get a permit.

Thanks, Dave.

On 10 Feb 2002 12:15:11 -0800, [email protected] (James Donovan) wrote:

>
    >

[usenetquote2]>>Dave <[email protected]>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> Is there a hope in hell for a Canadian working in the broadcasting industry (in a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> technical capacity, behind the scenes) to get a permit to work in the US full[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> time & continue to live in Canada? From what I've read, this type of job doesn't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> fall into any category and it seems entirely unlikely that I could.[/usenetquote2]

James Donovan Feb 11th 2002 2:22 am

Dave <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I believe you can more than do that, however, what about visas for journalists? I
believe there is a special visa category created for journalists working in the US,
on assignment anyways, but this may be just temporary and not long term.

I can't remember if you have a job already and they're placing you in the US or if
you're looking for a job here, but If a Canadian media house is placing you in the US
on assignment, you can get a journalism type visa (I think it's an "I" visa or
something of the sort). If you're looking for a job here you can work on a TN-1.