Reload this Page >

Canadian Marrying a US Citizen

Canadian Marrying a US Citizen

Old Jul 18th 2002, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Marrying a US Citizen

Hello,

My fiancee and I will be getting married in August 2003. I am a Canadian Citizen and she is a naturalized US Citizen. We will be getting married in a Philadelphia suburb (Drexel Hill). We are in the initial planning stages of EVERYTHING... Wedding, reception and of course VISAs!!

I've been learning a bit about the process... I've heard of the K1 and understand that I need that filed on my behalf from by my fiancee before I can enter the US to get married. Is this a necessity or are there ways around this? I understand that while having the K1, I am not allowed to leave the US before I get married. How long will it be before I can "freely" travel out of the US? We want to have a reception in Toronto, Ontario, Canada as well after the wedding.

What other "papers/visas" will I need to make this transition as SMOOTH as possible with the INS?

The BASICS from the start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian
Old Jul 18th 2002, 2:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Marrying a US Citizen

The simple way to find out the facts is to go to the FAQ page for the K-1 visa.

It is: The K1 FAQ http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

Since you are obviously planning a large formal wedding this is the only way you should do it unless you plan on marrying and returning to Toronto to wait out the six month to one year wait for permission from the INS to rejoin your wife in the US.

As for obtaining permission to re-enter the US after marriage, be aware that you can leave anytime you want. It is the returning that is the problem. You need to have filed for your adjustment of status and at the same time since you are using Philly apply for advance parole. This document will allow you to re-enter the US after leaving it without INS considering your application abandoned.

The timeline to obtain the A/P from Philly is approximately 6 weeks at this time. No guarantee what the timeline will be in 2003.

Rete
Old Jul 21st 2002, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for your reply Rete...

Over the past few days, my fiancee and I have been reviewing the information, the VAST information, I should say on that site. It seems that there are forms of forms and LOTS of things that "could" be overlooked and was wondering if it would be better to seek counsel to get this done as smoothly as possible. Is it a norm for just the applicants to do all of the paperwork themselves? Maybe there is a HUGE checklist of everything I'll need and when things should be completed etc.

Thanks,

Ian
Old Jul 21st 2002, 11:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us here have done it ourselves. For some people an attorney is beneficial. If you are not detail oriented, organized and/or have a problem with completing forms and worry a lot, then an attorney is definitely the way to go. Also if the alien fiancee has a serious medical problem and/or criminal history, then an attorney would be beneficial.

If you go it alone, there are plenty of people here to give you assistance.

Rete
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 3:20 am
Paul Helpdesk

eiloo:

Assuming you already met her, you have two ways that you could handle the process.

You could go to US on a Fiancee Visa, get married and file for AOS.

Alternatively, you could bring her to Canada, get married and file for Green Card.
You have to wait at least an year before you get the Green Card and could move into
the US. If you would like to be with her sooner, you have to file for a K-3 after
Marriage (after filing I-130 with the INS).

Generally there is more stress during separation after marriage. Going to US on a
Fiancee Visa is simple and reduces the variables in the future.

While you are in the US, you could also be working. You could even travel by getting
Advance Parole.

You will find the following links more helpful:

http://www.isso.cornell.edu/immigration/marryusc.html
http://www.visapro.com/Green-Card-Fa...US-Citizen.asp
http://www.visapro.com/Fiance-Visa/K1-Fiancee-Visa.asp

Paul @ HelpDesk

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 12:20 pm
Albertacanuck

Ian

I moved from Edmonton, to northern VA on the K1 visa. Right now I have conditional
permenent residency. My wife < US citizen > and I followed the information found on
this newsgroup and faq and to date we have had no problems. My advice is that if you
and your fiance are sticklers for detail, and careful and properly informed and
prepared you can easily complete the immigration process without counsel. good luck

Stantton

eiloo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanx for your reply Rete...
    >
    > Over the past few days, my fiancee and I have been reviewing the information, the
    > VAST information, I should say on that site. It seems that there are forms of forms
    > and LOTS of things that "could" be overlooked and was wondering if it would be
    > better to seek counsel to get this done as smoothly as possible. Is it a norm for
    > just the applicants to do all of the paperwork themselves? Maybe there is a HUGE
    > checklist of everything I'll need and when things should be completed etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ian
    >
    >
    >
    > --