British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Canada V/s USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/canada-v-s-usa-694084/)

jason_allen Nov 19th 2010 2:34 am

Canada V/s USA

We are planning to migrate to either Canada or USA.I am eligible for DV Lottery(EB-5 visa too) and have a job offer from Canada.Which country is better for migrants in longer run (aspects like medical, medical cover, retirement, parents migration, housing, employment, self employment, better economy etc.)? Please present an honest comparison between Canada V/s USA?

Octang Frye Nov 19th 2010 2:47 am

Re: Canada V/s USA

Honestly? Sure. Canada is further north, and is sometimes colder. While it's close, I'd have to say that Canada edges out the US in terms of poutine. The Tim Horton's quotient is higher, too.

There's national healthcare, but it's interesting that some Canadians choose to come to the US for treatment.

That's about it really.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 19th 2010 3:18 am

I have never been to Canada, never mind lived there.

I have also heard it is colder.

Jerseygirl Nov 19th 2010 3:25 am

Originally Posted by jason_allen (Post 8991005)
We are planning to migrate to either Canada or USA.I am eligible for DV Lottery(EB-5 visa too) and have a job offer from Canada.Which country is better for migrants in longer run (aspects like medical, medical cover, retirement, parents migration, housing, employment, self employment, better economy etc.)? Please present an honest comparison between Canada V/s USA?

I've lived in the US for 14+ years...we also have an apartment in Toronto... our daughter went to uni there and now works and lives in Toronto. I would say Canada is mid-way between the UK and US.

If you move to the US it's more or less every man for himself (compared with the UK)...depending on how much money or what type of job you have.

Octang Frye Nov 19th 2010 4:14 am

Look at you... apartment in Toronto.... well, la-de-da..

Actually, JG, that's a great description of Canada; halfway between the US and the UK. I remember thinking that when I was in Vancouver.
Another plus for Canada is that they have field hockey for men.

Jerseygirl Nov 19th 2010 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 8991112)
Look at you... apartment in Toronto.... well, la-de-da..

Actually, JG, that's a great description of Canada; halfway between the US and the UK. I remember thinking that when I was in Vancouver.
Another plus for Canada is that they have field hockey for men.

Sorry that should have been plural. Ha...there's more...la-de-da-de-da. ;)

Not to mention Canada's healthcare system and employees' rights...another stepping stone between the US and UK. Depending where you live in Canada and I can only speak of the Toronto area...from my experience they are more like Brits than Americans.

I hated hockey when I was at grammar school...too muddy and cold for my liking. ;)

Octang Frye Nov 19th 2010 4:45 am

Not on astroturf, hon. Fast as greased weasel poo.
Best game in the world.

Oh, OP, you can get 20oz pints there. And UK style chocolate.

tonrob Nov 19th 2010 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 8991045)
I have never been to Canada, never mind lived there.

I have also heard it is colder.

I have been to Canada and it is colder. But sometimes it is cold in the US too. In that way it is the same, but different.

discoviking Nov 19th 2010 11:46 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8991550)
I have been to Canada and it is colder. But sometimes it is cold in the US too. In that way it is the same, but different.

Are you sure? I didn't think it was that cold when I went to Canada a few years ago. I have been to Florida also, and that was warmer than Canada, but Canada did not seem as cold as Norway when I used to live there.

The temperature at the Canada exhibit in Epcot was about the same as the Norway and USA exhibits, though.

traceym Nov 19th 2010 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by discoviking (Post 8991659)
Are you sure? I didn't think it was that cold when I went to Canada a few years ago. I have been to Florida also, and that was warmer than Canada, but Canada did not seem as cold as Norway when I used to live there.

The temperature at the Canada exhibit in Epcot was about the same as the Norway and USA exhibits, though.

I lived in England, Scotland was North, I'm told its cold there, so i never went. Now I live in California and Canada is North so like Scotland it must be colder but I've never been there though, so I cant be sure. But you can go skiing in Canada and you can also go skiing in Lake Tahoe so thats the same but different.:confused:

ian-mstm Nov 19th 2010 12:37 pm

Which country is better for migrants in longer run (aspects like medical, medical cover, retirement, parents migration, housing, employment, self employment, better economy etc.)?

I grew up in Canada, although I now live in the US.

Medical/medical cover - the care is comparable to the US, but less expensive out of pocket.

Retirement/Parent's migration - both comparable to the US.

Housing - Since Canada is larger than the US, there is more space available for housing in Canada.

Employment/self-employment/better economy - all comparable to the US.

Please present an honest comparison between Canada V/s USA?
Bottom line - it's either/or... six of one, half dozen of the other! If you select Canada, be prepared to eat poutine, beaver tails, and butter tarts!

Ian

robin1234 Nov 19th 2010 12:38 pm

I was in Canada yesterday and I had a hamburger at Harveys. The actual burger was absolutely disgusting.. worse than a 1960s Wimpey burger in England. It was obviously at least partially meat-derived but I'm not sure what cut of what animal. The staff who served it up were very friendly and helpful though. Naturally, being an English person & visiting Canada, I did not complain.

Bob Nov 19th 2010 2:13 pm

All depends on what you're looking out for in life and what your job prospects are I'd guess.

Bringing old folks to the US is a daft and very expensive idea though and self employment can be a bit sucky, especially regarding medical insurance.

Octang Frye Nov 19th 2010 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8991721)
I was in Canada yesterday and I had a hamburger at Harveys. The actual burger was absolutely disgusting.. worse than a 1960s Wimpey burger in England. It was obviously at least partially meat-derived but I'm not sure what cut of what animal. The staff who served it up were very friendly and helpful though. Naturally, being an English person & visiting Canada, I did not complain.

Ha! I remember Wimpy. The burgers in the 90s weren't too bad. I think.

Zoe Bell Nov 19th 2010 2:50 pm

FYI This thread was closed on the Canada forum because the OP is apparently one of the regular trolls