Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Canada travel for UK visitors to the US

Canada travel for UK visitors to the US

Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada travel for UK visitors to the US

Originally Posted by blaze
I cross over in the same place and have had my passport stamped everytime.
You must look a bit 'dodgy' then 'cos we haven't. When we took my sister to visit our daughter in Toronto in February she was quite disappointed that she hadn't got a Canadian stamp in her passport. Mind you they probably didn't even realise she was in the back of my SUV with black windows...at least the US immigration ask us to wind down the windows.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:36 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You must look a bit 'dodgy' then 'cos we haven't. When we took my sister to visit our daughter in Toronto in February she was quite disappointed that she hadn't got a Canadian stamp in her passport. Mind you they probably didn't even realise she was in the back of my SUV with black windows...at least the US immigration ask us to wind down the windows.

How did you know I look dodgy? The only reason that I know the passports have been stamped is because they made a point of telling us that it would be my son's first canadian stamp.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
How did you know I look dodgy? The only reason that I know the passports have been stamped is because they made a point of telling us that it would be my son's first canadian stamp.
I can tell....its another gift I have.

Like I've said, most of the time they never even look up just ask nationality and when we say British just wave us through. Sometimes they look up and when they see the UK PP in my husbands hand wave us through. Very occasionally they will look at the PP for about 2 seconds, then wave us through.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have crossed over to Canada dozens of times usually via Niagara/Buffalo and have never had my passport stamped. The Canadian officials very rarely look at our passports...maybe its different for coach passengers.
If you have a "Green" Card then your passport will not be stamped, but normally, British Citizens visiting the USA and crossing the border into the Canada will have to go inside and have their Passport stamped. They can be in car, bus, on a bike or can be using Shanks's Pony, but, it will more than likely be stamped.

As for Canadians checking documents, I was held up at the border crossing on Interstate 87 and Hwy 15 for 1.5 hours, two weeks ago, whilst documents were faxed to the Canadian Immigration Office, before we could proceed into Quebec.

Jim.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
If you have a "Green" Card then your passport will not be stamped, but normally, British Citizens visiting the USA and crossing the border into the Canada will have to go inside and have their Passport stamped. They can be in car, bus, on a bike or can be using Shanks's Pony, but, it will more than likely be stamped.
I've never had to go inside the office when crossing the border, but I have had the passport taken away to get stamped and checked out, and with an I-94, they give a shout out to the other side to let the septics know...
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Big D]
Originally Posted by JAJ
Neither the U.S. nor Canada have a "6 month rule" for British passports. As long as passport is valid beyond the intended stay, that is not usually a problem.

USA does indeed have a requirement that passports are valid for at least 6 months

Not for British citizens.

From the U.S. Embassy website:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new..._visa_niv.html

Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:33 am
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

They are over there now. They rented a car from Enterprise (they let you take it to Canada only if you rent a full size ... nothing smaller or larger).

No problems crossing the border either.

Now to see if they make it back!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by smeg
They are over there now. They rented a car from Enterprise (they let you take it to Canada only if you rent a full size ... nothing smaller or larger).

i doubt they'll have problems.... hope they enjoyed their visit to canada
Old Jun 14th 2006, 8:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by smeg

Cool. Hope they have a good time.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JAJ]
Originally Posted by Big D

Not for British citizens.

From the U.S. Embassy website:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new..._visa_niv.html

Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

Well bugger me! I stand corrected - no idea where i got this misinformation from! is it a recent change? I swear it was a requirement of the airlines in the recent past - sorry!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

[QUOTE=Big D]
Originally Posted by JAJ

Well bugger me! I stand corrected - no idea where i got this misinformation from! is it a recent change? I swear it was a requirement of the airlines in the recent past - sorry!
You are correct it used to be....about 16 yrs ago I entered the US approx 7 mths before my PP expired and the US Immigration pointed this out to me.