Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Canada travel for UK visitors to the US

Canada travel for UK visitors to the US

Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:19 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of
Default Canada travel for UK visitors to the US

My parents are coming over to visit in a few days, and this time they plan on renting a car, driving from Boston to Niagra, then up to Toronto, then back down to Boston over a week.

It never occured to me they would have border issues, but they called in a panick today, apparantly they are being told (by the guys in the pub ... you know the sort) they will need a visa to come back into the States.

I'm fairly certain that with a valid UK Passport, and their Visa Waiver papers, they will be fine, maybe they need to redo the visa waiver?

Has anyone already done this?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada travel for UK visitors to the US

Originally Posted by smeg
My parents are coming over to visit in a few days, and this time they plan on renting a car, driving from Boston to Niagra, then up to Toronto, then back down to Boston over a week.

It never occured to me they would have border issues, but they called in a panick today, apparantly they are being told (by the guys in the pub ... you know the sort) they will need a visa to come back into the States.

I'm fairly certain that with a valid UK Passport, and their Visa Waiver papers, they will be fine, maybe they need to redo the visa waiver?

They dont need a visa - they will probably have to redo the VWP forms but no problem, and as long as you tell the car rental place you are going over they will have no problem either.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:42 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Big D
They dont need a visa - they will probably have to redo the VWP forms but no problem, and as long as you tell the car rental place you are going over they will have no problem either.
Thats what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My sister came over a couple of months ago and we took her to see our daughter in Toronto, via Niagara. Going into Canada most times the immigration officer does not even look at the passports. Coming back into the US, immigration asked to see her visa waiver as well as the passport. The visa was not stapled into her passport, but luckily she had it with her.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 6th 2006 at 5:33 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My sister came over a couple of months ago and we took her to see our daughter in Toronto, via Niagara. Going into Canada most times the immigration officer does not even look at the passports. Coming back into the US, immigration asked to see her visa waiver as well as the passport. The visa was not stapled into her passport, but luckily she had it with her.
My sister did not have to renew her visa when crossing back into the US from Canada, the visa given to her at Newark airport sufficed. Might be a good idea for them to carry their return air tickets home, so that they can show intent to leave the US.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

make sure the rental car will be insured in Canada.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I've haven't, but it's no problem.

From the US Customs web site http://tinyurl.com/oyla6

If you are from a visa waiver country, and you are coming for tourism or business (but not for employment or as a working member of the media) you may be in the U.S. (including Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) for up to 90 days. If you wish to visit the U.S. for a longer period of time, you will need to obtain a visa. If visiting the U.S. under the visa waiver program you may not apply for an extension of stay. While in the U.S., you may go to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and re-enter the U.S. using the I-94W you were issued when you first arrived in the U.S., although the time you spend there is included in the 90 days allotted for your visit.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They won't even need to redo that if the stay away from the US isn't longer than the max stay allowed in the VWP.

Only problems might be if the passports aren't valid for six months past lenght of stay, or if folks have any naughty criminal history back in the day
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:38 pm
Paul

Originally Posted by Bob
if folks have any naughty criminal history back in the day
Nothing they've told me about, and that would be quite an amusing way to discover this!

Thanks for the information everyone! They will tell Enterprise the car is going to Canada, and carry passports, tickets and VWP docs with them.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Nothing they've told me about, and that would be quite an amusing way to discover this!

Thanks for the information everyone! They will tell Enterprise the car is going to Canada, and carry passports, tickets and VWP docs with them.
Hope they enjoy their trip.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Just make sure they keep their visa waiver when entering canada and they can use the same one to enter the US on there way back from canada
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

What are VWP documents?

I have visited here before I got my green card and don't recall any documents.

My Dad and sister have visited in the past and just used their British passport to qualify for the VWP

The reason I ask is my Dad is coming in a few weeks and I want him to have as smooth a passage as possible.

Are we referring to the thing you fill out on the plane or something that is issued at customs?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by aznewsh
What are VWP documents?

I have visited here before I got my green card and don't recall any documents.

My Dad and sister have visited in the past and just used their British passport to qualify for the VWP

The reason I ask is my Dad is coming in a few weeks and I want him to have as smooth a passage as possible.

Are we referring to the thing you fill out on the plane or something that is issued at customs?
Its the form they give you on the plane along with the customs form. When going through US immigration, part of the VWP is stapled inside your UK passport and removed when you leave the US. When crossing into Canada by road you do not stop at the US side so the VWP is not removed.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Its the form they give you on the plane along with the customs form. When going through US immigration, part of the VWP is stapled inside your UK passport and removed when you leave the US. When crossing into Canada by road you do not stop at the US side so the VWP is not removed.

I think it's called an I-94...

Very important document. Never lose it whilst in the US, ALWAYS hand it in when leaving... (except when going to Canada for less than 30 days, I believe).
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think it's called an I-94...

Very important document. Never lose it whilst in the US, ALWAYS hand it in when leaving... (except when going to Canada for less than 30 days, I believe).
Usual one is white, but the Visa Waiver is green if I am not mistaken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.