Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can you use a credit card before it arrives?

Can you use a credit card before it arrives?

Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:11 pm
Banned

Sexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant future
Default Can you use a credit card before it arrives?

I was approved for an AMEX last week and was hoping to use it to book a flight this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to arrive in time.

Does anyone know if I call AMEX with my SS number and identification, if they can give me the card number over the phone? Or do I have to wait for the card to come in the mail?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:13 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you use a credit card before it arrives?

Originally Posted by Sexytime
I was approved for an AMEX last week and was hoping to use it to book a flight this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to arrive in time.

Does anyone know if I call AMEX with my SS number and identification, if they can give me the card number over the phone? Or do I have to wait for the card to come in the mail?
No.

Well, probably not. The card needs to be 'activated' once it arrives as part of the security process so it is unlikely they'll do so over the phone.

But hey, it's a free call...Give it a try.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:16 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

You could just phone them up and ask them.

They'll most likely tell you "no", though. As Penguin notes, you need to activate it first, which requires having it in your possession.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it very much for security reasons. Like someone else said it has to be activated...plus you would need to know the security code and expiry date as well as the number. I wouldn't think AMEX would give you that info over the phone.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I doubt it very much for security reasons. Like someone else said it has to be activated...plus you would need to know the security code and expiry date as well as the number. I wouldn't think AMEX would give you that info over the phone.
Did you know that not all cards actually activate the card - its a marketing ploy to get you on the phone and try and cross sell you other products
Old Jul 25th 2008, 6:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree, if you want to use the card over the phone to buy tickets, you will need the card number, expiration date, and the security code on the back of the card.

I doubt AmEx will give you all that information ahead of time on the phone.

Rene
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:39 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

As a former credit card call center worker, I can GUARANTEE that they will not, under ANY circumstances, give you this information over the phone. You could offer to verify everything under the sun and they still won't. And frankly this is a good thing, even if it's inconvenient.

What you COULD do, though, is ask them to ship the card to you via express mail (FedEx, etc) and pay whatever fee they charge for doing that.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Did you know that not all cards actually activate the card - its a marketing ploy to get you on the phone and try and cross sell you other products
I didn't but it doesn't surprise me.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:37 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Still nowadays? I can't remember how many years ago it was that I actually spoke to a person when I called in to activate a card (and I have quite a few on the go). It all seems to be automated systems now so no sales pitch.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:47 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Still nowadays? I can't remember how many years ago it was that I actually spoke to a person when I called in to activate a card (and I have quite a few on the go). It all seems to be automated systems now so no sales pitch.
Same with me. It's all automatic and usually pretty quick, but they do have a 'click 1 to hear about this or that' if you stay on the line.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 12:56 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Well in any event, would you want to activate a card that is presumably about to be mailed or enroute already just floating around in the postal system?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 1:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
No.

Well, probably not. The card needs to be 'activated' once it arrives as part of the security process so it is unlikely they'll do so over the phone.

But hey, it's a free call...Give it a try.

No even that would help. When you are using an Amex online or over the phone you need to give the security numbers. You won't know those until the card arrives.