Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can you turn off your hot water?

Wikiposts

Can you turn off your hot water?

Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Can you turn off your hot water?

In the UK everywhere I ever lived had separate controls for heating and hot water. Here in the USA I find that I can control my oil powered heat but cannot control the water heating short of shutting down the whole boiler. When I've spoken to others about the oil needlessly wasting when I hear my boiler go on in the middle of the night they give me a funny look and say that it's costing hardly anything. I'm thinking that this was either the idea of oil companys or oil was once so cheap that at one time the cost was nothing. These days with oil prices rising I'm sure it is substantial especially as you think that all over the country oil is burning needlessly during the night.
Can you control the hot water in your home?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Ikke will become famous soon enoughIkke will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can you turn off your hot water?

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
In the UK everywhere I ever lived had separate controls for heating and hot water. Here in the USA I find that I can control my oil powered heat but cannot control the water heating short of shutting down the whole boiler. When I've spoken to others about the oil needlessly wasting when I hear my boiler go on in the middle of the night they give me a funny look and say that it's costing hardly anything. I'm thinking that this was either the idea of oil companys or oil was once so cheap that at one time the cost was nothing. These days with oil prices rising I'm sure it is substantial especially as you think that all over the country oil is burning needlessly during the night.
Something I could never understand in the UK is why people turn the boiler on and off - surely it costs far more to heat a whole tank from cold than it does to just keep topping up the heat as needed?.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 4:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can reset the thermostat so that the temperature of the water is lower thus allowing the boiler to remain inactive for longer periods of time. I doubt that a gas boiler is ever completely off as your post suggests.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the summer, all the water coming out of the tap is warm!.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:15 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Here in the summer, all the water coming out of the tap is warm!.
with the oppressive heat you guys get I'm surprised it doesn't just steam out of the taps.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
with the oppressive heat you guys get I'm surprised it doesn't just steam out of the taps.

It's a dry heat!

Now a humid heat, that's oppressive!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:20 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's a dry heat!

Now a humid heat, that's oppressive!
wet or dry

120F is hot.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:36 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Our water heater is gas and we have a combined heating/ air con unit (electric) I don't think many people worry about it as long as the water is hot coming out of the tap. anyway I have been hearing about these japanese tankless water heaters and I see the company's trucks quite often installing them. they may be the next big thing in water heating as they heat 'on demand' sounds like you need one.

here is the companyhttp://www.noritzamerica.com/
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:08 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ikke
Something I could never understand in the UK is why people turn the boiler on and off - surely it costs far more to heat a whole tank from cold than it does to just keep topping up the heat as needed?.
The Same though is here in Florida ..the electric hot water tanks all run permanently ... I fitted a clock into ours and is now on just 4 hours a day not 24 and the savings are quite substantial ... in the UK ...it is cheaper to shut down and re-heat ..particularly in a cold time ...
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Hot is hot. But the 90 degree temps here this week felt way better than 80 degree 100% humidity days back in Blighty.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

Our heating is oil as it seems to be for most people in New England.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 4:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ikke
Without going into an extensive phsics lecture, the hotter a tank of water is the quicker it gets cold i.e. the more heat it loses.

Suppose that the water is say 140º and loses 5º in an hour, at the end of the hour you'd have to heat it 5º again. After five hours you'd have gone through the cycle five times, and heated the water 25º.

Now suppose you let it cool over five hours. In the first hour it would still lose 5º, in the second it is already cooler, and only loses 4º, in the third, 3º, in the fourth 2½º, and in the fifth hour it only loses 2º. At the end of five hours it has cooled by 16½º, which is how much you have to heat it to get it back to 140º.

That is why it would be more efficient to let it cool overnight, and then have it come on an hour before you rise in the morning.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pulaski
tank of water is the quicker it gets cold i.e. the more heat it loses.

That is why it would be more efficient to let it cool overnight, and then have it come on an hour before you rise in the morning.
Does this apply to bodies as well?
Old Apr 9th 2005, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
... in the UK ...it is cheaper to shut down and re-heat ..particularly in a cold time ...
Strange ... when I was hard up I tried both methods and found that it was cheaper to keep the water on 24/7. I think it depends more on your lifestyle ... i.e. if you live alone and are out all day then it's probably cheaper to shut down and re-heat.

When I wasn't hard up anymore I got a combi boiler fitted ... is it right that they are relatively new here in the US?
Old Apr 9th 2005, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ikke will become famous soon enoughIkke will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Without going into an extensive phsics lecture, the hotter a tank of water is the quicker it gets cold i.e. the more heat it loses.

Suppose that the water is say 140º and loses 5º in an hour, at the end of the hour you'd have to heat it 5º again. After five hours you'd have gone through the cycle five times, and heated the water 25º.

Now suppose you let it cool over five hours. In the first hour it would still lose 5º, in the second it is already cooler, and only loses 4º, in the third, 3º, in the fourth 2½º, and in the fifth hour it only loses 2º. At the end of five hours it has cooled by 16½º, which is how much you have to heat it to get it back to 140º.

OK understood (I think ) BUT as electricity is cheaper overnight most people heat it at night and let it cool during the day so by the evening they have cold water. Suppose that's why they have those silly electric showers which dribble out a little warm water.