Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

can you lease a car without a US licence??

can you lease a car without a US licence??

Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you lease a car without a US licence??

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
But I can't stand the thought of buying a $15,000 car and having it drop $2,000 the INSTANT we drive it off the lot.
You have be smart about which cars you buy Roland. There are some vehicles that hold their value much better than others. I.e. Hondas and Toyotas. My 2005 CRV that we bought brand new is worth approx. $3500 more than I owe on it right now, and that's taking into consideration that there is higher mileage on it and it's been repaired after a fender-bender. There are cars that depreciate slower, you just have to do your research and possibly be willing to purchase a car that isn't so stylin'.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:00 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we did a three year lease when we arrived no problem without a US licence. However - hubbie wishes he hadnt bothered as he is sure he could have bought much cheaper second hand now he knows how things lie.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
That's a lot of conditions there Bob. As we all know those conditions are very tough to meet. I think anyone would like knowing they don't have to meet them. Melly and her hubby can get up and go to Orlando or Miami without having to worry about it or driving around Atlanta proper for that matter. Her hubby's job could change and send him around the Perimeter sending him 20 plus 30 miles away. It could happen to them mid-lease. They'd be screwed then.
aye, well I did say it only made sense to some, and in this situation I certainly wouldn't bother with one
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:07 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, well I did say it only made sense to some, and in this situation I certainly wouldn't bother with one
You know how I like to be. I can be a bit....oh hell Really....argumentative.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

We leased both our cars.. don't know why really but we did. I know my OH gets a car payment each month from employer so that covers his lease. We swap cars regularly to keep the mileage down on the cars (I only drive to the Mall and back ).. I know the one he uses mostly for work has 6,000 miles on the clock and thats since last July/August (he does work away occasionally). I think on both leases he really negotiated milage allowances. I think its working for us.. we'll know when the year is up!!!

Also just a point about car insurance.. and this is only how it worked for us.. i'm sure there are others with great deals - but we struggled to find coverage initially. We went with progressive. Then as we got each car we added it on. When we bought our daughters car (shes 18) it really REALLY jumped up. I started shopping around, and did get a better quote for all 3 cars. When I went back to progressive to tell them I wanted to cancel my policy, they came back with an unbelieveable deal, and it still had all the same coverage required for a leased a car! It really does pay to shop around and barter!!

Good luck