Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can you inquire about the status of your ITIN application?

Can you inquire about the status of your ITIN application?

Old Aug 22nd 2022, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

per 170 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you inquire about the status of your ITIN application?

Two months ago, my American wife sent in an application for an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) for me (a Swedish citizen, intending to move to the US, but currently living abroad with my wife), along with her required tax filings.

Is there a way to know if they have received the application, and how long it is estimated to take?

Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you inquire about the status of your ITIN application?

when I tried to get both my kids ITIN numbers, I had 3 appointments in total (they asked for different info in each appointment), then eventually wrote back saying applications cancelled and rejected. no reason given. this happened over a time period of 8 months. There are a disorganized shit show to deal with in my experience.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

All ITIN applications take approximately 4 months to process. Did you both elect to file a joint US tax return? If not, what was the reason for the application?
Old Aug 25th 2022, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cook_County
All ITIN applications take approximately 4 months to process. Did you both elect to file a joint US tax return? If not, what was the reason for the application?
Yes, we filed a joint tax return. It seemed to be a requirement for getting the ITIN. The reason for wanting an ITIN was to be able to get started with the conversion of my foreign teaching certificate to an American one. That requires either a SSN or an ITIN.
Old Aug 25th 2022, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
when I tried to get both my kids ITIN numbers, I had 3 appointments in total (they asked for different info in each appointment), then eventually wrote back saying applications cancelled and rejected. no reason given. this happened over a time period of 8 months. There are a disorganized shit show to deal with in my experience.
I'm not in the country, so an appointment is not an option for me, unfortunately. Sorry to hear about how poorly they treated you.
Old Aug 25th 2022, 4:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

just chiming in to ask if you are absolutely sure you need an ssn/itin to get your teaching certificate converted? Seems odd to require this before you even have a job.
Here in TX the DPS requires an SSN just to get an appointment to get a driver's license but when I questioned this I was told to just put "1234" in .
Old Aug 28th 2022, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
just chiming in to ask if you are absolutely sure you need an ssn/itin to get your teaching certificate converted? Seems odd to require this before you even have a job.
Here in TX the DPS requires an SSN just to get an appointment to get a driver's license but when I questioned this I was told to just put "1234" in .
Yes, I'm sure (I've talked to them about it multiple times). I guess they want to make sure that they don't get swamped with applicants who may not be allowed to work in the country in the end.

Yes, you don't need a SSN to get a drivers licence, just an American address. They seem to treat drivers licences a bit differently than many other countries.

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 28th 2022, 2:26 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by per 170
Yes, I'm sure (I've talked to them about it multiple times). I guess they want to make sure that they don't get swamped with applicants who may not be allowed to work in the country in the end.
!
well, that doesn't add up because ITINs are issued to people who cannot work. If you are allowed to work then you get an ssn.
who is doing the validation of your teaching certificate? Do you have to use them?
ETA they are using these numbers as identifiers to tie the certification to you specifically. If your ssn/itin is on the document then no one else can use it. Why don't you ask if you can use your SSN equivalent from Sweden?

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Aug 28th 2022 at 2:35 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2022, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
well, that doesn't add up because ITINs are issued to people who cannot work. If you are allowed to work then you get an ssn.
who is doing the validation of your teaching certificate? Do you have to use them?
ETA they are using these numbers as identifiers to tie the certification to you specifically. If your ssn/itin is on the document then no one else can use it. Why don't you ask if you can use your SSN equivalent from Sweden?
I am not allowed to work. I have applied for a visa, which will allow me to apply for a green card, but the application is still being processed. I can't get a SSN, but with a bit of luck, an ITIN can be issued, since my wife is American. The Swedish SSN equivalent does not mean anything to them. If it was as easy as having anything to attach the certification to, they could have made it dependent on later receiving a green card, etc.