British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can you have two British Passports (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-you-have-two-british-passports-768519/)

brit0ninusa Aug 16th 2012 2:14 pm

Can you have two British Passports

I have to send my passport to the UK to get a VIsa for Suadia Arabia as I am going to be traveling with an agent based in the UK (traveling with family from UK) and part of the Visa requirement is that the booking travel agent has to apply for the Visa, My problem is that we leave the first week of October and and it takes 2-3 weeks to get the ********* the mailing time, Plus it has be mailed back to me here in the US, So I might not get the Passport back in time, Am I able to apply for another passport?

Garbatellamike Aug 16th 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Can you have two British Passports

Originally Posted by brit0ninusa (Post 10230582)
I have to send my passport to the UK to get a VIsa for Suadia Arabia as I am going to be traveling with an agent based in the UK (traveling with family from UK) and part of the Visa requirement is that the booking travel agent has to apply for the Visa, My problem is that we leave the first week of October and and it takes 2-3 weeks to get the ********* the mailing time, Plus it has be mailed back to me here in the US, So I might not get the Passport back in time, Am I able to apply for another passport?

Yes you are. I have done it in the past when I was travelling all over the world for work and needed the ability to send a passport off for a visa and retain the ability to travel. Also handy if you want to visit Israel and then an Arab country or TRNC then Greece! You will need to include your current passport number on the application for the second though.

lisa67 Aug 16th 2012 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10230589)
Yes you are. I have done it in the past when I was travelling all over the world for work and needed the ability to send a passport off for a visa and retain the ability to travel. Also handy if you want to visit Israel and then an Arab country or TRNC then Greece! You will need to include your current passport number on the application for the second though.

You also need a letter from your company explaining that you need a duplicate.:)

DexterBerkeley Aug 16th 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 10230613)
You also need a letter from your company explaining that you need a duplicate.:)

There is a example letter in this discussion. I used something very similar last time I had to renew one of mine.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/dis...nd-uk-passport

brit0ninusa Aug 17th 2012 5:07 am

Mine is not for business travel, I am applying for a visa for the Suadia and and they take upto 4 weeks to process the visa, in the meantime I have travel back to UK in a couple of weeks, also can i send my passport application to my family in the UK to send to the Passport agency for a new passport, has anybody ever done that?

brit0ninusa Aug 17th 2012 7:51 am

Sorry about the date mix up I travel back to the uk in 4 weeks not two also someone put an idea in my head why not just make a urgent travel document, I have seeni it on the website but not much info on cost and time line - thanks to all for your patience and replys

Bob Aug 17th 2012 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by brit0ninusa (Post 10231780)
Sorry about the date mix up I travel back to the uk in 4 weeks not two also someone put an idea in my head why not just make a urgent travel document, I have seeni it on the website but not much info on cost and time line - thanks to all for your patience and replys

The Emergency Travel Doc, is what the name suggests, couple hundred bucks, or whatever it might cost these days and a trip to a consulate.

brit0ninusa Aug 18th 2012 7:29 am

So I sent my passport back to the Uk to be sent to the Suadia embassy. This afternoon the British consulate called me back,I explained my situation to them and they told it is illegal to send a passport across borders while I am here in US. Plus she was not sure she can get me a emergency passport as there was a mistake on date of birth, I have been on 5 trips to England, 2 trips to dubai And back to US and no one has said Anothing or noticed anything about my passport