British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can you buy suet in the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-you-buy-suet-us-506157/)

Mandana Jan 14th 2008 5:00 pm

Can you buy suet in the US?

I've looked in Krogers and HEB but no luck. Then again, I didn't look very hard and didn't have the time to ask anyone, but I'm wondering if it's actually available as I was discussing how to make Christmas pudding with some American ladies and they'd never heard of suet!

Are we destined to live a life dumpling-less?!

Silverdragon102 Jan 14th 2008 5:04 pm

Re: Can you buy suet in the US?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=suet

Found a few threads just by searching

NC Penguin Jan 14th 2008 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 5786388)
I've looked in Krogers and HEB but no luck. Then again, I didn't look very hard and didn't have the time to ask anyone, but I'm wondering if it's actually available as I was discussing how to make Christmas pudding with some American ladies and they'd never heard of suet!

I didn't find suet in any grocery store so I went to a very good butcher shop. Actually, I called ahead and ordered the suet then drover over to the butcher two days later to pick up and pay for it.

So, if I were you, I'd hunt out a real butcher and ask them if they have it or if they can get it for you. I can't remember how much I paid. I think it might have been about $2.00 per lb.

Mandana Jan 14th 2008 8:15 pm

Thanks Penguin - I'll see if I can find a butcher, although have to say I've not seen one yet, and I've been looking!

Silverdragon - I did a search but clearly not right! Thanks for the link.

MsElui Jan 14th 2008 8:24 pm

i actually got suet from the local supermarket butchers section. (meijers). I just asked the man at the counter and he came back with a large solid lump of it in a vacuum pack. I had to buy all or nothing. I just chopped off what i needed (and shredded it in a blender) and then chopped the rest into lumps and stuck it in a ziplock bag in the freezer so i can get a bit at a time.

Tracym Jan 14th 2008 11:11 pm

You will find that many yanks a) Do not like puddings and b) are absolutely horrified by cooking with animal fat.

I personally like the things though.

TN-Dave Jan 15th 2008 12:08 am

Krogers ? where are you located? Krogers is a favourite shop of mine since I have no Tesco's !

kins Jan 15th 2008 2:40 am

I bought a lump of suet in Wholefoods then froze it then shredded it in the blender.

My neighbour suggested using Crisco instead.

I was reading a Martha Stewart Living mag where they give recipes for 'British' puddings like spotted dick, and they all just use butter.

SarahInTX Jan 15th 2008 3:20 am

Dumplings made from BisQuik aren't too bad. (Nowhere near real suet dumplings, though. Mmmmm.)

Sarah

NC Penguin Jan 15th 2008 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5788155)
You will find that many yanks a) Do not like puddings and b) are absolutely horrified by cooking with animal fat.

I personally like the things though.

b) Americans cook with pork fat, at least in the South.:)

Tracym Jan 15th 2008 10:12 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5789089)
b) Americans cook with pork fat, at least in the South.:)

True, southerners are less fat-repressed.

Up north here though - the looks of complete horror - suet, lard... they about have their heart attacks just at the thought.

cpltony Jan 15th 2008 12:13 pm

I made a bread pudding without suet....I substituted lard and it worked well.....just be sure to dice it into tiny pieces for fear of lard chunks after coming out of the oven.

Not sure how well it will work in a Christmas Pudding though.
Hope that helps.

NC Penguin Jan 15th 2008 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5790335)
True, southerners are less fat-repressed.

Up north here though - the looks of complete horror - suet, lard... they about have their heart attacks just at the thought.

c) Americans do like to eat their animal fat though. Exhibit A- American bacon. A case of I'd like some bacon with that fat please!:D

Tracym Jan 15th 2008 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5791469)
c) Americans do like to eat their animal fat though. Exhibit A- American bacon. A case of I'd like some bacon with that fat please!:D

Well yes... but we're hypocrites ;) Try suggesting lard or suet to most folks (at least up north) and see what response you get.

Of course, I personally ain't eating that bacon until it's cooked crisp - and no fat is recognizable.

tamms_1965 Jan 15th 2008 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5786442)
I didn't find suet in any grocery store so I went to a very good butcher shop. Actually, I called ahead and ordered the suet then drover over to the butcher two days later to pick up and pay for it.

So, if I were you, I'd hunt out a real butcher and ask them if they have it or if they can get it for you. I can't remember how much I paid. I think it might have been about $2.00 per lb.

I agree, or depending on where you live you can try an actual meat processor that sells to the public. My mom & grandma used beef suet all the time but I have not. I used to buy all my meat this way.

We always bought our cows/pigs from a local farmer and sent it to the processor to be slaughtered, packaged, etc., so we had just about every part of the animal in our freezer. (People use it hear to make handcrafted soap.)

bridgecross Jan 15th 2008 3:51 pm

Growing up in the US Northeast, we always had suet available. My mom always got it at the local pet store or birdwatcher's club. You stick it out on a pole to attract certain species of winter bird.

Oh, you mean you eat it?!?!? :embaressed_smile:

Tracym Jan 15th 2008 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by bridgecross (Post 5791805)
Growing up in the US Northeast, we always had suet available. My mom always got it at the local pet store or birdwatcher's club. You stick it out on a pole to attract certain species of winter bird.

Oh, you mean you eat it?!?!? :embaressed_smile:

The suet for birds isn't the same - you don't want to eat that.

Suet (for puddings) is the finest fat from around the kidney. Bird suet is all sorts of yucky fat ground together.

lapin_windstar Jan 15th 2008 5:31 pm

I just had to google suet to find out what it was. I wish I hadn't, now! :ohmy:

scrubbedexpat097 Jan 15th 2008 9:22 pm

The British Isles Store in Rice Village in Houston sells it.

SarahInTX Jan 17th 2008 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 5793410)

Or of course on line stores: e.g., http://www.wisechoiceuk.com/scripts/...?idCategory=57
http://www.buybritish.net/store/cust...roductid=18708

Sarah

Mandana Jan 17th 2008 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 5793410)

Of course! Thanks Sugar .. and everyone else. Cheers

E17Avenue Jan 17th 2008 4:50 pm

I have even seen vegetable suet in places... no problems here in Michigan.

SueM Jan 19th 2008 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by E17Avenue (Post 5801304)
I have even seen vegetable suet in places... no problems here in Michigan.

I've not seen it out here in California in regular supermarkets. I get mine from a British food shop in San Francisco when I am there. Although, only the vegetable Atora is available and not the beef variety.

Rete Jan 20th 2008 2:09 am

Originally Posted by cpltony (Post 5790908)
I made a bread pudding without suet....I substituted lard and it worked well.....just be sure to dice it into tiny pieces for fear of lard chunks after coming out of the oven.

Not sure how well it will work in a Christmas Pudding though.
Hope that helps.

I make bread pudding without suet or lard. Use butter, milk, eggs, sugar and spices.

Thydney Jan 20th 2008 2:16 am

If you can't find a butcher find a slaughterhouse

Tracym Jan 20th 2008 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5812303)
If you can't find a butcher find a slaughterhouse

Which is what happened to me - when I thought I was going to a butcher :ohmy:

Great suet though, once I dismantled it.

To the OP - if you get a chunk of the stuff - pull the nice white bits off the membrane, freeze them, then shred with a food processor - otherwise it'll gum up whatever you're trying to grind it with.

Thydney Jan 20th 2008 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5813841)
Which is what happened to me - when I thought I was going to a butcher :ohmy:

Great suet though, once I dismantled it.

To the OP - if you get a chunk of the stuff - pull the nice white bits off the membrane, freeze them, then shred with a food processor - otherwise it'll gum up whatever you're trying to grind it with.

You can't beat a nice bit of fat from a cows intestines:rofl:

Tracym Jan 20th 2008 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5814584)
You can't beat a nice bit of fat from a cows intestines:rofl:

Nah, I believe the definition of fine suet is "fat from around the kidney of a prime beef".

Unless you know differently?

Thydney Jan 20th 2008 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5814745)
Nah, I believe the definition of fine suet is "fat from around the kidney of a prime beef".

Unless you know differently?

LOL I usually call all the guts 'puddings' don't know why intestines came out but you are correct

Redlippie Jan 20th 2008 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5815452)
LOL I usually call all the guts 'puddings' don't know why intestines came out but you are correct

You brits are disgusting.

Thydney Jan 20th 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Redlippie (Post 5815523)
You brits are disgusting.

says the sardine woman