British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can we watch uk tv via satelite in the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-we-watch-uk-tv-via-satelite-us-771976/)

Donna_c uk Sep 18th 2012 4:12 pm

Can we watch uk tv via satelite in the US?

Hi
We are moving to the US in the summer and wondered if we can UK tv channels via satelite over there?
Will our current 240 volt TV's DVD players blu ray player work there?
Many thanks

civilservant Sep 18th 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Can we watch uk tv via satelite in the US?

In a word - no. Some are available via the internet (BBC iPlayer etc) but you will need a VPN to watch them as the connection will be recognized as coming from the US.

The electronics may work with transformers, but in reality its much cheaper to sell everything and buy new.

Donna_c uk Sep 18th 2012 4:24 pm

Oh that's a shame,what's VPN?
Thanks

civilservant Sep 18th 2012 4:27 pm

It is essentially a 'host' for your internet connection that fools the website into thinking you are in the UK.

Bob Sep 18th 2012 4:37 pm

:lol:

You can watch what ever is shown on US satellites, PBS, BBC America etc.

Just have a read of all the previous threads to get your head around VPN's and other means of getting UK tele.

The DVD/Bluray, if they're multi voltage, with hdmi/component out, they they should work fine, but unless you can hack them to be regionless, they won't be much use for local stuff. Tele, don't bother with.

fatbrit Sep 18th 2012 4:39 pm

Flat earth society.

cpe111 Sep 18th 2012 5:31 pm

I used these guys during the olympics -

http://unblock-us.com/

service is reliable and easy to switch on and off. You can activate it for individual devices in your household, or for everything behind your home router.

Manc Sep 18th 2012 6:32 pm

oooh yeah it all works.

bring your car stereo too and be able to listen to the archers.

NatashaB Sep 18th 2012 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 10287420)
oooh yeah it all works.

bring your car stereo too and be able to listen to the archers.

\

:thumbsup::rofl:

GeoffM Sep 18th 2012 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Donna_c uk (Post 10287239)
Hi
We are moving to the US in the summer and wondered if we can UK tv channels via satelite over there?
Will our current 240 volt TV's DVD players blu ray player work there?
Many thanks

Satellites only have a limited coverage area and you have to be in line of sight, roughly speaking. They're too low in the atmosphere to "see" from even the east coast of the US.

If you can leave a Sky box and account with somebody then I believe there is this thing called a Slingbox which basically sends the signal via the Internet so you can watch from abroad. Just so you know, it may not be technically legal to do so, same for VPN.

Bob Sep 18th 2012 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10287460)

If you can leave a Sky box and account with somebody then I believe there is this thing called a Slingbox which basically sends the signal via the Internet so you can watch from abroad. Just so you know, it may not be technically legal to do so, same for VPN.

Might as well use go.sky.com or whatever it is if going down that route and not bother with the slingbox.

Sally Redux Sep 18th 2012 8:56 pm

Well someone on the Aus forum did think they'd be able to pick up Freeview.

Bob Sep 18th 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10287662)
Well someone on the Aus forum did think they'd be able to pick up Freeview.

They're close enough :D

GeoffM Sep 18th 2012 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10287657)
Might as well use go.sky.com or whatever it is if going down that route and not bother with the slingbox.

I knew they had at least some programmes online but it now seems to be all the channels, so yeah it seems a better option.

For me there's not I miss really. I never watched Eastenders for fear of slashing my wrists, same for other soaps. I used to watch Discovery, Nat Geo etc which mostly seems to carry the same content (unsurprisingly!). And I can waste an entire hour channel hopping by which time it's time to go to bed!

penguinsix Sep 19th 2012 12:18 am

Almost all the satellites in Europe are 'under the horizon' for the US. The curve of the Earth prevents you from being able to point your dish at them. There are one or two that are over Africa / the Atlantic but even with living on the East Coast of the US you'd have to have your dish pointed basically on the horizon and hope you could get a signal (I've never been able to get a hit, despite having a house on the water and trying for a few hours).

Nevertheless, VPNs to the rescue. Just get an old computer and hook it up to your TV. Get a VPN working and watch basically whatever you want on your television. Far easier.