Reload this Page >

Can we afford East Bay Area

Can we afford East Bay Area

Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:42 am
Just Joined

w3nderlust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can we afford East Bay Area

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The other thing people haven't mentioned or maybe I've missed it, Health Care? How much would you be paying for the whole family in the US compared to the UK and what would your husband get if he loses the job?
Actually you get 30 days to move out of the US if you're on H1B and lose your job, unless you can find another employer quick enough during that period to transfer your H1B, so for the time being I guess it's not the biggest factor. In the long run, however, it can turn serious if they settle in the US
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w3nderlust
Actually you get 30 days to move out of the US if you're on H1B and lose your job, unless you can find another employer quick enough during that period to transfer your H1B, so for the time being I guess it's not the biggest factor. In the long run, however, it can turn serious if they settle in the US
I think Moses2013 actually meant in terms of compensation. Obviously US Employers are not under any law to give you anything, apart from maybe senior people who they dont want to burn bridges with...

The only thing (unless this has changed since 2011) an Employer MUST give you is the primary petitioners cost of repatriation - i.e. one flight ticket and moving your stuff back. The rest of the family is your cost.

For L-1 visas (I found out AFTER I moved) there is nothing at all the employer has to do, so if it is NOT in your relocation offer make sure you get it in there in writing that they'll repatriate you if they decide to terminate your employment. You must as well ask as a H-1B holder the same thing for the rest of the family.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkini
I think Moses2013 actually meant in terms of compensation. Obviously US Employers are not under any law to give you anything, apart from maybe senior people who they dont want to burn bridges with...

The only thing (unless this has changed since 2011) an Employer MUST give you is the primary petitioners cost of repatriation - i.e. one flight ticket and moving your stuff back. The rest of the family is your cost.

For L-1 visas (I found out AFTER I moved) there is nothing at all the employer has to do, so if it is NOT in your relocation offer make sure you get it in there in writing that they'll repatriate you if they decide to terminate your employment. You must as well ask as a H-1B holder the same thing for the rest of the family.
Yes, compensation and cost of a private health insurance for the whole family.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Repatriation is a really important consideration. It's not just the cost of moving your family/stuff/pet home, but also the likelihood of having to break a lease agreement on your home and possibly car. I don't know about the rest of the US, but here in NJ home rental leases are typically signed for a year and if you break it the landlord can ask for rent to be paid for the remaining term. I don't how often this would happen though.

Also, if you have property back in the UK that you are renting out, you will need to give your tenants sufficient notice to vacate the property.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

90K in the East Bay ? No way. Maybe a house in some parts of Oakland

We were on $160k and found it a struggle in the middle of Silicon Valley. £100k/year is a bloody good salary in the UK (my brother is a GP on £66k year and does very nicely), but EVERYTHING is much more expensive. Usually not the "sticker price" but by the time you add on extras, it all adds up.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I have just moved to the east bay area and boy it is expensive to rent!! We are paying twice as much for a smaller apartment than in Humboldt county....and I don't even have a washing machine in the flat
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:04 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I have just moved to the east bay area and boy it is expensive to rent!! We are paying twice as much for a smaller apartment than in Humboldt county....and I don't even have a washing machine in the flat
I've got a washer and dryer for sale if you're interested
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I've got a washer and dryer for sale if you're interested
Thank you....however the apartments are not built for them....no space or outlet..there's a laundry room onsite we use...ahhh apartment living US style. I have a pool tho!!!
Thanks again
Old Mar 7th 2014, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Choicing doesn't mean that you'll get your desired choice. At least, not in the SDUSD.

I believe you get three choices. One of which will take you, at least that was what i was told and appears to be confirmed on SDUSD website.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite.

They are only responsible for the flight home of the primary, so they don't have to send your shit back with you, unless you negotiated that into your contract.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Your friends may live in a rent controlled apartment, or receive other help.
Yes, postdocs often get subsidised housing and healthcare.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, postdocs often get subsidised housing and healthcare.
Not in the UC system. Public. The UC accommodation is available for postdocs but they pay fair market value, a lot more than grad students. And the waiting list is 18 months the last time i tried to help a postdoc.

Certainly you do get help in CSHL, Rockefeller and NYU. But New York is a hard place for scientist.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Not in the UC system. Public. The UC accommodation is available for postdocs but they pay fair market value, a lot more than grad students. And the waiting list is 18 months the last time i tried to help a postdoc.

Certainly you do get help in CSHL, Rockefeller and NYU. But New York is a hard place for scientist.
I'm talking about UCLA at least.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm talking about UCLA at least.
Interesting, UCLA gave zero help to my friend. Though this could be lab specific. It probably requires the PI to care about the postdocs.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 3:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Interesting, UCLA gave zero help to my friend. Though this could be lab specific. It probably requires the PI to care about the postdocs.
Isn't it all about the financing of whatever the research program is? A lucrative research project running in partnership with a for-profit business can have money to throw around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.