Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can the US Embassy refuse travel document?

Can the US Embassy refuse travel document?

Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can the US Embassy refuse travel document?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Equitable, not "generous". "The cake" in the UK is smaller, and the government determines the size, but everyone gets equal access based on their assessed need (though you can buy supplemental private insurance to move you up the queue). The result of this can be that waiting times for non-life threatening conditions can be many months - joint damage that might be curable with surgery could be "managed" with drugs for years!

Whereas the US has a huge cake, with some people taking a giant slice, and others left with crumbs, depending entirely on what they can afford.
Canada has those kinds of waits too, completely familiar with them, comes with the territory in a single payer system.

I was surprised that someone mentioned visitors would be covered in an emergency, so compared to what the US and Canada has that is generous.

(we however don't have private supplemental insurance that allows us to jump que, supplement insurance here only covers things not covered by provincial plans like medication, dental and such.)
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:40 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heading_Baltimore
Officer said she is British so can access Brit health services.
Citizenship (British or otherwise) has no bearing on access to the NHS.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Apr 1st 2014 at 3:54 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:06 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
yep, that's true.. it wouldn't surprise me if some doctors worked their entire career and never issued a bill directly to a patient
To be accurate, doctors never issue bills in the first place. A doctor on the NHS is getting paid regardless, why would they care about getting a bill sent out? No. The manager of the hospital takes care of those kind of issues with their finance dept. I think you'll find most doctors working for the NHS would be aghast at the thought of billing a patient for NHS work.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I think you'll find most doctors working for the NHS would be aghast at the thought of billing a patient for NHS work.
Yes, that was pretty much my point!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
All US citizens are required, by law, to enter the US with a US passport.
Not just enter. There are some exceptions but, in most cases, US citizens are also required to leave on a US passport. So the real mistake was leaving without one. Although, without exit controls, this is an easy rule to break.

http://travel.state.gov/content/trav...tionality.html

" Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. "
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:05 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find most doctors working for the NHS would be aghast at the thought of billing a patient for NHS work.
When my wife (USC) and daughter were there last year, they both got treated at my dads local doctor for free (eye infections and the like, they were there 3 months) and my daughter had to have x-rays and her foot/leg cast after fracturing it, at the local hospital (multiple trips) and they would not even let my wife give them her travel insurance details! they told her not to worry about it and sent them on their way. My wife was most impressed!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
When my wife (USC) and daughter were there last year, they both got treated at my dads local doctor for free (eye infections and the like, they were there 3 months) and my daughter had to have x-rays and her foot/leg cast after fracturing it, at the local hospital (multiple trips) and they would not even let my wife give them her travel insurance details! they told her not to worry about it and sent them on their way. My wife was most impressed!
Why do people in the UK put up with such a crimp on their freedom? Just asking.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I know right? What idiots the Brits are with their single payer healthcare system.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
All US citizens are required, by law, to enter the US with a US passport.
Except those under age 16.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Please could you provide a link to support that.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please could you provide a link to support that.
It only applies if traveling by sea or land. All travelers regardless of age must use a passport if traveling by air.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...do-i-need.html

"U.S. citizen children under age 16 arriving by sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate."

"U.S. citizen children under age 16 arriving by land from Canada or Mexico may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate."
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It only applies if traveling by sea or land. All travelers regardless of age must use a passport if traveling by air.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...do-i-need.html

"U.S. citizen children under age 16 arriving by sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate."

"U.S. citizen children under age 16 arriving by land from Canada or Mexico may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate."
Thank you for providing the information. I guess for most they will wish to enter by air so the child will require a US PP.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:06 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I know right? What idiots the Brits are with their single payer healthcare system.
Don't even get me started, especially living in the deep South!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thank you for providing the information. I guess for most they will wish to enter by air so the child will require a US PP.
Strangely enough, it doesn't appear to be against the law for the child to a) fly to Canada on a Brit passport, and b) crossing the land border into the US with a birth certificate copy only. Even while the consulate is still considering the travel document.

Or is it?
Old Apr 5th 2014, 2:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely enough, it doesn't appear to be against the law for the child to a) fly to Canada on a Brit passport, and b) crossing the land border into the US with a birth certificate copy only. Even while the consulate is still considering the travel document.
As I understand it, the law is that a U.S. citizen should be in possession of a U.S. passport while outside the United States, unless exempted by the Secretary of State. That said, although many on online forums are fixated on a literal interpretation of the law, enforcement isn't quite on the same level. No reports of anyone going to jail for breach of this particular requirement.

Could it work in theory to go to Canada and cross the land frontier. Maybe. However, unless one is Canadian citizen/PR, admission to Canada is never guaranteed and if the reason for the problem with the passport is that the U.S. Embassy suspect child abduction then a travel alert may already have been issued.

Interestingly, the original poster has never come back with more details on what is going on. This is out of character for the Embassy, they are (anecdotally) normally quite helpful in these situations. While they can refuse a passport, they have to give a reason. And if a passport has been unreasonably refused, there are options to escalate the issue, including getting the office of one's Congressman/Senator involved.

Without knowing the full facts, one should hesitate before coming to a conclusion as to what the next steps should be.