Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can UK credit score be transferred to USA?

Can UK credit score be transferred to USA?

Old May 18th 2016, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

bbcc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can UK credit score be transferred to USA?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could open an international account in the UK that can be used in the US, does that mean your credit score can be transferred?

I've read that you can open an American Express card in the UK that can be used in the US - would this work?

I've also read that credit scores cannot be transferred and that you essentially start from zero when you enter the US...

does anyone know any ways to transfer your credit score to the US or is this just not possible?

Thanks!
Old May 18th 2016, 3:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can UK credit score be transferred to USA?

Originally Posted by bbcc
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could open an international account in the UK that can be used in the US, does that mean your credit score can be transferred?

I've read that you can open an American Express card in the UK that can be used in the US - would this work?

I've also read that credit scores cannot be transferred and that you essentially start from zero when you enter the US...

does anyone know any ways to transfer your credit score to the US or is this just not possible?

Thanks!
Welcome to BE.

Credit scores are not transferrable between countries, so you have to start at Zero.
Old May 18th 2016, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Darn, that's what I suspected. Thanks for the reply!
Old May 18th 2016, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks!
Some American Express Cards and some banks with certain accounts (HSBC and Citibank get mentioned) will take account of your UK credit history to provide services in the USA but, if it works, it is only within those organizations.
Old May 18th 2016, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the reply. What kind of services do you know of? Will they help with purchasing or leasing a vehicle?
Old May 18th 2016, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a UK issued Amex, it did not carry over to my US credit
Old May 18th 2016, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I had a UK issued Amex, it did not carry over to my US credit
No, nothing carries over to your US credit. With Amex they will use your UK credit as the basis for issuing a US card. That provides a helpful start to building your US credit score.
Old May 18th 2016, 5:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply. What kind of services do you know of? Will they help with purchasing or leasing a vehicle?
there's another thread going on right now about leasing a car.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...ptions-877619/

my post #9 gives some options.

since you still appear to be in the UK , contact international autosource to see what they can do for you.
Old May 18th 2016, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

I am actually a us citizen. I work for an organization that brings professionals from the uk to the us to live and work. They actually use autosource. The problem with it, is that its pretty expensive and the client doesn't have the chance to test drive, etc. We are looking for a cheaper and more effective option for car buying/leasing for them. Since they will not have a credit score when they arrive, its difficult for them to have any other options of obtaining a vehicle without going through autosource.

Thanks for the reply!
Old May 18th 2016, 5:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually a us citizen. I work for an organization that brings professionals from the uk to the us to live and work. They actually use autosource. The problem with it, is that its pretty expensive and the client doesn't have the chance to test drive, etc. We are looking for a cheaper and more effective option for car buying/leasing for them. Since they will not have a credit score when they arrive, its difficult for them to have any other options of obtaining a vehicle without going through autosource.

Thanks for the reply!
That's my job too!

I hate to state the obvious but your client isn't going to be able to test drive any car until they have arrived in-country.
You should ask your client to go through the spec for his car, IAS tend to offer high spec cars - if the client thinks they are too expensive, make sure they are comparing apples to apples...
In terms of "expensive" well that's par for the course. They don't have credit history and so this is going to be an issue for the first year. Car insurance is going to be higher than they are used to paying as well.

Options are limited for them without credit history.
Mazda, VW, IAS, Expatride.

Or get a loan in the UK if they can get a better rate, use that to purchase a car and explain about forex to them Don't use the bank
Old May 18th 2016, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

toluani is an unknown quantity at this point

I was able to get a Amex card in the US based on my history with Amex in the UK.

All you have to do is call Amex when you get to the US and they will walk you through the process and close your UK card.

Also if you have moved to the Us via an employer, you may be able to get a credit card with one of the major banks through a program called bank@work.

It is geared towards foreign employees of some major companies and I was able to get a bank of america credit card based on my salary and contract. No harm asking when you get to the US.

Hi all,

Thanks!
Old May 18th 2016, 5:52 pm
Austin. TX.

Oh yes. See if IAS will throw in AIG Inbound for them. That will help them get cheaper car insurance quotes.
Old May 18th 2016, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Forex? Please explain

Also thanks for the great replies! Very helpful.
Old May 18th 2016, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Also, does anyone have the links to the Audi expat program and the deals from Mazda and VW?
Old May 18th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Forex? Please explain

Also thanks for the great replies! Very helpful.
Forex = FOReign EXchange. I'm surprised you haven't heard the term frequently, working in relocation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.