Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can U help? Brits that have moved to LA...?

Old May 21st 2009, 2:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can U help? Brits that have moved to LA...?

Originally Posted by super copywriter
Can U help?
it's not happening.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
No...that's Houston isn't it??
I thought Houston was for money grabbing oil types on tasty L1's.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am looking to move to Los Angeles, more specifically, the Hollywood Hills or Santa Monica.

I have been researching both for quite some time, but would love to hear from other Brits who have already moved.

I would be doing a junior copywriting job in Advertising.

I would particularly like to hear experiences of/tips about:

Shipping your possessions over

General costs involved in moving

Accommodation to rent

Public transport, particularly in the centre/dowtown of LA

The immigration process for either a HB-1 visa or green card

Learning to drive in the U.S and taking their driving tests

Help regarding any of the above would be great.

Thanks.
Welcome to BE.

I see you're looking for a job in the US. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your chances of getting a job here and getting an employer to sponser you are zero. Even if the US economy was good it would still be extremely difficult for you to work and live here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...48#post7591748
Old May 21st 2009, 6:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

thank you (most of you) for the answers. i have done much research into this subject, but was hoping to get some 1st hand accounts to enhance this. i have not yet got a job offer, but have found relevant companies with opportunities.

i am currently reworking my portfolio and then i shall be applying.

so, if anyone can offer me any additional, constructive tips, i would appreciate it.
Hi, as lots of people have pointed out your chances are non existant in the current economy.

We did manage to make the move over to LA, but my husband worked for a major studio in the UK and we were lucky enough to get a intercompany transfer.

I started applying for jobs 2 months after arriving, it took me a further 6 months to get an interview. Lots of companies look just look at your last place of employment, see it was in the UK and assume you want sponsorship and bin your application. I was already here and struggled, I'm afraid you have no chance of having your job applications taken seriously while outside the country. And no way of getting into the country without a job.

If its something you really want to do you need to put a long term plan together, try and get a job in the UK with offices in America where with lots of hard work, dedication and an absolute heap of luck you may be able to get a transfer in a few years.

I know it sometimes appears people are being rude telling you 'no chance' but with a little bit of research rather than a dream you would have found out that its unrealistic.

To answer a few of your questions. Living in Santa Monica is very expensive, public transport is a nightmare, visas are extremely hard to come by, green cards cost a lot of money, cost of living is high.

Best advise I can offer is marry an American.

Good luck
Old May 21st 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
To answer a few of your questions. Living in Santa Monica is very expensive, public transport is a nightmare, visas are extremely hard to come by, green cards cost a lot of money, cost of living is high.

Good luck
Better add rich to the "American", I don't think part of the dream is to come over and be skint.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
Better add rich to the "American", I don't think part of the dream is to come over and be skint.
Good point
Old May 21st 2009, 7:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

so, if anyone can offer me any additional, constructive tips, i would appreciate it.
Here's some music to sooth your disappointment.

Old May 21st 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice

Hi everyone,

I have a green card and have just acquired a job in LA county at a uni near carson - I will be moving from Tulsa in August. Can anyone give me some idea of places to live in this area. I don't mind doing a 30-40 minute commute because I know renting an apartment in Santa Monica is going to be expensive. I want to rent a two bedroomed apartment in safe area that is reasonably priced. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

thank you

julia

thank goodness i am leaving the bible belt mid west - it has been an experience.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:47 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am looking to move to Los Angeles, more specifically, the Hollywood Hills or Santa Monica.

I have been researching both for quite some time, but would love to hear from other Brits who have already moved.

I would be doing a junior copywriting job in Advertising.

I would particularly like to hear experiences of/tips about:

Shipping your possessions over

General costs involved in moving

Accommodation to rent

Public transport, particularly in the centre/dowtown of LA

The immigration process for either a HB-1 visa or green card

Learning to drive in the U.S and taking their driving tests

Help regarding any of the above would be great.

Thanks.

You're going to have to work on your copywriting skills for starters.
I'm in Santa Monica, you can PM me. Especially if your a young(ish) female with huge tits
Old May 21st 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

super copywriter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by N1cky
Hi, as lots of people have pointed out your chances are non existant in the current economy.

We did manage to make the move over to LA, but my husband worked for a major studio in the UK and we were lucky enough to get a intercompany transfer.

I started applying for jobs 2 months after arriving, it took me a further 6 months to get an interview. Lots of companies look just look at your last place of employment, see it was in the UK and assume you want sponsorship and bin your application. I was already here and struggled, I'm afraid you have no chance of having your job applications taken seriously while outside the country. And no way of getting into the country without a job.

If its something you really want to do you need to put a long term plan together, try and get a job in the UK with offices in America where with lots of hard work, dedication and an absolute heap of luck you may be able to get a transfer in a few years.

I know it sometimes appears people are being rude telling you 'no chance' but with a little bit of research rather than a dream you would have found out that its unrealistic.

Good luck
thank you for your answer. I have researched this in-depth, but really value some opinions from people like yourself. I do, however feel like most of the comments are very negative.

I know it is difficult to obtain any job at the moment, particularly one overseas. But, I am quite the optimist. And after all, someone has to get those visas from the quota...
Old May 21st 2009, 8:57 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Here's some music to sooth your disappointment.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=en_mp1oUito
Supertramp also made Breakfast in America.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for your answer. I have researched this in-depth, but really value some opinions from people like yourself. I do, however feel like most of the comments are very negative.

I know it is difficult to obtain any job at the moment, particularly one overseas. But, I am quite the optimist. And after all, someone has to get those visas from the quota...
Sorry, but you are asking for trouble around here coming out with things like that.

It isn't a case of being negative. It's a case of telling you the truth. You are going to have a very hard time getting to Hollywood. There are no well-worn paths we can show you. Most people end up there by a twist of fate or marriage, and everyone's story is different.

Whether the quota is filled or not is irrelevant. You need to find a company that will sponsor you. How do you propose to do that? You need a gameplan that is based around your own skills and career ambitions. You'll need international connections that are enthusiastic about employing you. You can't just turn up in Hollywood and get a job. It doesn't work like that.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Sorry, but you are asking for trouble around here coming out with things like that.

It isn't a case of being negative. It's a case of telling you the truth. You are going to have a very hard time getting to Hollywood. There are no well-worn paths we can show you. Most people end up there by a twist of fate or marriage, and everyone's story is different.

Whether the quota is filled or not is irrelevant. You need to find a company that will sponsor you. How do you propose to do that? You need a gameplan that is based around your own skills and career ambitions. You'll need international connections that are enthusiastic about employing you. You can't just turn up in Hollywood and get a job. It doesn't work like that.
I have just looked up copywriter jobs in Los Angeles on Monster, there are 3. How many applications per job do you think they will receive? Why would they pay $'000s to sponsor you?

Being optomistic is one thing, living in dreamland is another.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree, there is no harm in trying. You should send of your CV to these jobs. But you do need to keep in mind that it is a long shot.

You will need to be very patient.

In the meantime you should keep looking for opportunities in the UK that will help to develop your niche skills and introduce you to broad, international professional networks. In the end that is really your best chance for getting out to the US.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I thought Houston was for money grabbing oil types on tasty L1's.
Not all of us money grabbing oil types or on L1s, but then again I'm a bit north of Houston....phew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.