Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can things get much worse? :( - long post)

Can things get much worse? :( - long post)

Old Apr 30th 2006, 10:42 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can things get much worse? :( - long post)

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
So, my advice to anyone who ever has to deal with insurance companies: WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. Include dates and times of conversations, the names of who you talk to, what they said and what you said. That way, when they try to say that they never told you such-and-such or whatever, you can pull out your notes and say, "Actually, you told me this such-and-such at 2.39pm on April 30th." If I hadn't kept good notes I can assure you that my appeal probably wouldn't have been approved, and I would have also had far more troubles with my previous disability claim than I did.

~ Jenney
I completely agree. I have done exactly this for years, it's helped me out no end & really backs your argument with companies. I've told hubby countless times that he must do this & to keep repeating the info they have said, but he still forgets sometimes, (actually I do most of the setting up these days, plus all of our accounts/money/bills etc) he couldn't see what the problem was, until the other day, when he realised he hadn't confirmed the date of our Dish Network installation. He just wrote Monday from 8-12pm, so muggins here was sat waiting, I then got him to call & they said it was next Monday!!! I said, that's why you have to confirm date, time, who you spoke to etc etc, it really helps!

This is also the reason why I handle everything around here!!!
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:11 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh... the drama continues.

I opened up the mailbox today to see what I've been fighting for all these months: A check from Capital One.

I wasn't sure of the exact amount it would be, but I had figured out a ballpark calculation, with the pre-tax amount being approximately $4500, perhaps a bit more. Still, there were certain factors (taxes & 401k contributions) which would make that amount vary some, so I told myself that if it was as low as $3500 after taxes, that would still be ok.

So I open the check and find that it's....... $2151.95. WHAT??

I reviewed the check stub for the breakdown, to see how much is coming from where. The entire check SHOULD have come from "MIP" or "Managed Income Protection", aka short-term disability. But this is what the actual breakdown was:

Regular Earnings ......... (-1940.23)
Vacation Earnings ............ 348.50
MIP 100% Earnings ....... 4155.60
MIP 60% Earnings ........... 562.52
Total Taxes ................... (-656.93)
TOTAL NET PAY ............... 2151.95

The vacation pay is wrong, because I already got a check from Capital One for my unused 2005 vacation, so there is no need to give it to me (and tax me for it) again.

But more importantly, what is this -$1940.23 for?? I haven't earned any income from Capital One since I left the company last August. But it appears that they are docking pay from me TWICE -- the first time legitimately, when I wasn't at work (and filing for disability payments instead), and now erroneously with this check.

I called Capital One's HR to find out what happened. The guy I talked to said that because the check was generated "under unusual circumstances" they have no record of the actual check itself. They don't have any information about it, a fact I find more than a little unsettling. However, if they can't even bother to keep a record of money they send out, no wonder it got so messed up!

Anyway, I explained the breakdown to him and he admitted that, based on what I was telling him, it didn't sound right. He agreed with me that it appears I'm being docked the same pay twice, that the entire check should be $4718.12 minus applicable taxes.

I offered to fax a copy of the check and its information to him, but he declined. Instead he forwarded my case to a lady named Mary, who initially handled things (well, SORT OF) when I called last week to enquire about when I'd be getting the check. Hopefully I'll hear from her by the end of this week.

The sad thing is, I'm not surprised by any of this. If anything I'm surprised that I wasn't expecting this sort of problem to actually happen. But I feel confident that this will be resolved very soon and in my favor. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to see that they've essentially bilked me out of about $2000!!

I'll be updating when I can... STAY TUNED!

~ Jenney

QUICK EDIT TO ADD... As I was writing this post, it occurred to me that there is actually a THIRD mistake with the check. The entire payment should come from MIP 100% Earnings, because the covered period was fewer than 90 days. Any MIP absences up to 90 days in duration are covered 100%; after 90 days it drops to 60%. When I talked to CapOne HR today, I didn't mention it because I didn't notice it at the time. I think I might need to ring again and point this out to them...
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Ugh... the drama continues.

I opened up the mailbox today to see what I've been fighting for all these months: A check from Capital One.

I wasn't sure of the exact amount it would be, but I had figured out a ballpark calculation, with the pre-tax amount being approximately $4500, perhaps a bit more. Still, there were certain factors (taxes & 401k contributions) which would make that amount vary some, so I told myself that if it was as low as $3500 after taxes, that would still be ok.

So I open the check and find that it's....... $2151.95. WHAT??

I reviewed the check stub for the breakdown, to see how much is coming from where. The entire check SHOULD have come from "MIP" or "Managed Income Protection", aka short-term disability. But this is what the actual breakdown was:

Regular Earnings ......... (-1940.23)
Vacation Earnings ............ 348.50
MIP 100% Earnings ....... 4155.60
MIP 60% Earnings ........... 562.52
Total Taxes ................... (-656.93)
TOTAL NET PAY ............... 2151.95

The vacation pay is wrong, because I already got a check from Capital One for my unused 2005 vacation, so there is no need to give it to me (and tax me for it) again.

But more importantly, what is this -$1940.23 for?? I haven't earned any income from Capital One since I left the company last August. But it appears that they are docking pay from me TWICE -- the first time legitimately, when I wasn't at work (and filing for disability payments instead), and now erroneously with this check.

I called Capital One's HR to find out what happened. The guy I talked to said that because the check was generated "under unusual circumstances" they have no record of the actual check itself. They don't have any information about it, a fact I find more than a little unsettling. However, if they can't even bother to keep a record of money they send out, no wonder it got so messed up!

Anyway, I explained the breakdown to him and he admitted that, based on what I was telling him, it didn't sound right. He agreed with me that it appears I'm being docked the same pay twice, that the entire check should be $4718.12 minus applicable taxes.

I offered to fax a copy of the check and its information to him, but he declined. Instead he forwarded my case to a lady named Mary, who initially handled things (well, SORT OF) when I called last week to enquire about when I'd be getting the check. Hopefully I'll hear from her by the end of this week.

The sad thing is, I'm not surprised by any of this. If anything I'm surprised that I wasn't expecting this sort of problem to actually happen. But I feel confident that this will be resolved very soon and in my favor. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to see that they've essentially bilked me out of about $2000!!

I'll be updating when I can... STAY TUNED!

~ Jenney

QUICK EDIT TO ADD... As I was writing this post, it occurred to me that there is actually a THIRD mistake with the check. The entire payment should come from MIP 100% Earnings, because the covered period was fewer than 90 days. Any MIP absences up to 90 days in duration are covered 100%; after 90 days it drops to 60%. When I talked to CapOne HR today, I didn't mention it because I didn't notice it at the time. I think I might need to ring again and point this out to them...
That'll confuse them.
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Is your mum still helping you or are you working it out yourself?
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne

Tsk meow - easy does it...
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Tsk meow - easy does it...
Sorry. I'll take my punishment like a woman.
Old May 4th 2006, 3:46 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Since I don't know you, I am not sure if the condescending tone of your question is intentional or not, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it isn't.

As it happens my mother is on a trip right now so she hasn't heard about this yet. But I will be letting her know about it whenever I can. Should I need her assistance on this like I did with my appeal I will certainly request it and I know that she'll be supportive like she was previously.

Luckily I am doing a lot better now than I was back in Oct-Jan when I was having to deal with Aetna. I am hopeful that this will be resolved without causing me a lot of unnecessary stress, unlike my experience(s) with Aetna.

~ Jenney