Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can sponsor leave the US on holiday?

Can sponsor leave the US on holiday?

Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Qube is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can sponsor leave the US on holiday?

Hi there, just a quick question. Hopefully moving to the US for the New Year, but there are a couple of things my wife (sponsor) is hoping to nip back for in January for about a week. Is that allowed?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can sponsor leave the US on holiday?

Originally Posted by Qube
Is that allowed?
The USC sponsor has no travel restrictions. As always, whether or not she is admitted to the UK is up to the UK authorities... the US, however, has no interest in that.

Ian
Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Qube is an unknown quantity at this point

She's a dual citizen so no problem in that regard. Thanks for the clarification
Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Qube
She's a dual citizen so no problem in that regard. Thanks for the clarification
Does pose an interesting question, what happens if someone immigrates as an LPR (we'll assume either unconditionally or conditions successfully removed) and their I-864 sponsor decides to leave the US before the immigrant has naturalised or completed their 40 quarters of work. Is the immigrant supposed to get a new I-864 sponsor? If so, do the Dark Forces actively check? I'm guessing not.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Does pose an interesting question, what happens if someone immigrates as an LPR (we'll assume either unconditionally or conditions successfully removed) and their I-864 sponsor decides to leave the US before the immigrant has naturalised or completed their 40 quarters of work. Is the immigrant supposed to get a new I-864 sponsor? If so, do the Dark Forces actively check? I'm guessing not.
The sponsor's obligations don't cease just because they leave the US.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
The sponsor's obligations don't cease just because they leave the US.
Indeed, but enforcement would become an issue, and being US-resident or intending to resume such is a pre-condition of being a sponsor. What if a sponsor passes on?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What if a sponsor passes on?
Then they are no longer a sponsor. Indeed, the sponsor's death is one of the conditions under which the I-864 becomes null/void.

Ian
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:12 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Indeed, but enforcement would become an issue, and being US-resident or intending to resume such is a pre-condition of being a sponsor. What if a sponsor passes on?
Same problem with US Citizens residing abroad in that they have commitments to US tax, SS Registration etc. Enforcement is obviously impossible if they never re-enter the US, doesn't stop a legal obligation existing though.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, but enforcement would become an issue, and being US-resident or intending to resume such is a pre-condition of being a sponsor.
If the sponsor moves, they are supposed to submit an I-865 "Sponsor Change of Address".

I'm guessing the requirement to be or resume being a US resident is only applicable for I-864 approval. After that, it doesn't matter where in the world the sponsor is, they are still held liable.

Rene