Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can someone remind me - Texas Driving test..

Can someone remind me - Texas Driving test..

Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:13 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Default Can someone remind me - Texas Driving test..

Is the "written" part of the test two separate test, one for rules and one for signs with you having to score 80% pass on each (i.e. 32 out of 40 on each?).

Not picked up the book for quite a while, and being laid off with time on my hands I thought I might just try my luck - did an online test and got 36 out of 40 for signs but only 24 out of 40 for Rules.

I remember someone saying that their test stopped after they had answered 20 or so questions correct....

Thanks
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone remind me - Texas Driving test..

generally speaking if you can breathe and see 3 ft you'll pass.

</jk>
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you can breath, your doing pretty well...some of those blue rinses, I mean they can't be still alive
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:53 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
Is the "written" part of the test two separate test, one for rules and one for signs with you having to score 80% pass on each (i.e. 32 out of 40 on each?).
Yes, two papers, but you sit them both at once. I thought the pass mark was 70%, but I could be wrong. Also, I don't think there were 40 questions on each, more like 20. But, again, I could be wrong.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

I passed my driving test this March, it was very easy, don't know why i got so wound up! i can't remember how many questions but i know there wasn't many, the test actualy stops you going any further when you have passed, plus you can skip a question or two and go back to it later if you are struggling to make the %.
All i can say is, study the legal issues, they do ask a lot of those questions.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:22 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shazza777
I passed my driving test this March, it was very easy, don't know why i got so wound up! i can't remember how many questions but i know there wasn't many, the test actualy stops you going any further when you have passed, plus you can skip a question or two and go back to it later if you are struggling to make the %.
All i can say is, study the legal issues, they do ask a lot of those questions.
Ah, I'm guessing you did it at one of the bigger offices, where they have computers. I did mine at a smaller office, where you get given two scrappy bits of photocopied paper and a manky pencil.

You're right about the legal stuff, and also about it being easy. My favourite was this sign:

One of the options was: "Slow down for the roadside barber shop".
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:29 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all

Hahah.... well what was throwing me was I purchased, for a small fee, an online testing pack - which literally take sections from the Handbook and test you.

You are so right about the legal topics.. and that is my current Achilles heal i.e all the different punishments a minor (17-21) can get for being drunk when NOT in a car. I wish they would introduce this in the UK - might stop some of the under 21 drinkers getting so smashed in the town centers on a Sat night!

Is it me or are there some really stupid rules in there.... and then.. some really good ones! hahah... it's Texas! Yehaww!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Ah, I'm guessing you did it at one of the bigger offices, where they have computers. I did mine at a smaller office, where you get given two scrappy bits of photocopied paper and a manky pencil.

You're right about the legal stuff, and also about it being easy. My favourite was this sign:
http://www.scenicsigns.com/images/signs/M-009.jpg

One of the options was: "Slow down for the roadside barber shop".
I remember doing the practise questions on a site, one of the signs was for deer crossing, got that one right, then after answering a few more the same sign came up {so i thought} i got that one wrong. Turned out that they have a sign for Deer crossing and Stag crossing.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

When I took the TX test, I was ill the day before and didn't even pick up the book. Ended up flicking through it in line for the test. Passed no problems.

Only questions I struggled on was the whole blood alchohol percentage thing.

One kid didn't pass. When asked if he could read, he said no, and they said with warning they would provide someone to read the questions to him...
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

I took the test less than 2 years ago at Conroe - it was done on a computer and was, at the most, 35 questions to answer. They were mainly on fines for first offenses (esp young drivers), stopping distances and road signs. A few were common sense (but what made sense to me didn't apparently make sense to them lol). When you hit the pass ratio the questions stop.

At Conroe, (don't know if that's your nearest test center is but it's pretty close to where you are), if you get there first thing you can usually do your driving test an hour or so after the written. Practice your reverse parking (OH had me doing this for hours the day before as I'm useless at this) and watch out for a couple of unmarked junctions. Other than that it's really easy and if I passed anyone can!! Hope this helps.