Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can someone point me in the right direction?

Or offer any advice? We're quite liking our lives here now (after the dreadful homesickness start!) and as such have investigated our options for staying.

We've been to see a Lawyer, and seeing as our back-pockets didn't quite hold the $1m loose change to invest, and neither of us were about to marry a USC, the only other option available to us was to seek sponsorship through work. We tentatively did that in fear of being shipped straight back home (after hearing some horror stories of such a thing happening), and the response was far more positive than we ever imagined it would be. If anything, they were fearful my husband would want to go back to the UK, and that was 'their worst nightmare' !

So, we're now weighing up our options, and about to work out figures.

It's one thing living here as an Ex-pat on assignment, in a leased house, on a temporary basis, but quite another making things more permanent.

I've read Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA, but can't find much more in ways of other information we might have overlooked.

So can anyone please point me in the right direction, or give us some advice so we can really mull it over? It's all a huge learning curve, and the last thing we'd want to do it leave stones unturned and find out too late.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:00 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone point me in the right direction?

Originally Posted by Mandana
Or offer any advice? We're quite liking our lives here now (after the dreadful homesickness start!) and as such have investigated our options for staying.

We've been to see a Lawyer, and seeing as our back-pockets didn't quite hold the $1m loose change to invest, and neither of us were about to marry a USC, the only other option available to us was to seek sponsorship through work. We tentatively did that in fear of being shipped straight back home (after hearing some horror stories of such a thing happening), and the response was far more positive than we ever imagined it would be. If anything, they were fearful my husband would want to go back to the UK, and that was 'their worst nightmare' !

So, we're now weighing up our options, and about to work out figures.

It's one thing living here as an Ex-pat on assignment, in a leased house, on a temporary basis, but quite another making things more permanent.

I've read Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA, but can't find much more in ways of other information we might have overlooked.

So can anyone please point me in the right direction, or give us some advice so we can really mull it over? It's all a huge learning curve, and the last thing we'd want to do it leave stones unturned and find out too late.

Thanks in advance
I've re-read your question twice, and I just can't work out what you're asking. Can you clarify what information you want from us, and perhaps I can help a little, given that you seem to be vaguely talking about H1-B visas... I think.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I've re-read your question twice, and I just can't work out what you're asking. Can you clarify what information you want from us, and perhaps I can help a little, given that you seem to be vaguely talking about H1-B visas... I think.
Sorry .. stuff like hidden extras in personal living. Differences between the UK and US. For example, property taxes, community charges, insurances we might not know about right now.

I'm sure we'll get most info as we go along, but there is bound to be something that'll crop up.

Actually, it's hard to know what to ask for! It's all exciting, yet nerve racking at the same time. I guess we'll make an informed decision once we have the figures together.

We're on an L1 and L2 visa right now.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry .. stuff like hidden extras in personal living. Differences between the UK and US. For example, property taxes, community charges, insurances we might not know about right now.

I'm sure we'll get most info as we go along, but there is bound to be something that'll crop up.

Actually, it's hard to know what to ask for! It's all exciting, yet nerve racking at the same time. I guess we'll make an informed decision once we have the figures together.

We're on an L1 and L2 visa right now.
So is the company paying for the lawyer or you?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So is the company paying for the lawyer or you?
We haven't got that far yet, but seeing as they want us here, we're assuming (even though we all know what assuming does! [makes an Ass out of U and Me]) they're paying.

Does who pays the lawyer and GC fees make a difference?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't got that far yet, but seeing as they want us here, we're assuming (even though we all know what assuming does! [makes an Ass out of U and Me]) they're paying.

Let 'em pay! But make sure you have access to the lawyer. In fact, insist on it. First thing to discover is which EB you are since this will give you some idea of the length of wait to the green card.

Wouldn't go making any great plans until you've got this independence in your mitts. The housing market has further to fall, anyway. Start working on your credit score and looking at the tax implications (property and investments in the UK) while you're waiting.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Remember ..they do realize once you get the GC ..you can wave goodbye to them and work anywhere ..Companiies will often be in no hurray to help you
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Remember ..they do realize once you get the GC ..you can wave goodbye to them and work anywhere ..Companiies will often be in no hurray to help you
Or do what we did and get the company to pay and sign a contract stating that you won't leave for 6 months after you receive your GC. In our case this didn't bind us to the company anyway !
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the state, county and towns....
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Or do what we did and get the company to pay and sign a contract stating that you won't leave for 6 months after you receive your GC. In our case this didn't bind us to the company anyway !
Depending on the state, it might also not be legally binding to force you to work, but having to repay the cost of the greencard etc can be.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Route 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Can someone point me in the right direction?

And don't expect the green card to be an overnight thing. We sponsored my sister in law to move to the USA, it took eleven years, that's right, eleven years for her green card to be OK'd
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Route 66
And don't expect the green card to be an overnight thing. We sponsored my sister in law to move to the USA, it took eleven years, that's right, eleven years for her green card to be OK'd
And in what way is this relevant to someone adjusting status from an L1...
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira
It isn't...family class and context is everything...USCIS are crap enough on their own behalf without confusing matters
Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Route 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really niceRoute 66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Elvira; With 21,101 more postings than I have, you seem to be the expert, you tell me. I was trying to be helpful. Have a nice day.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Route 66
We've been told the process will take approximately 18 months from the date the application is submitted, seeing as it's a company sponsorship.

OH will happily sign an agreement to stay in their employ. He's been there nearly 35 years as it is, so no point moving now!

Our decision will all be once we have some figures in our hands. If we end up being far worse off then clearly it's not a viable option. Hopefully that won't be the case, but changing from a UK to US payroll is going to be interesting.

The things I'd like to know about I guess are what will our expenses be once we come off the Ex-pat status, but perhaps I was a bit hasty in posting this thread as we don't know yet what will / won't be in his package - health care, holiday entitlement etc.

We have no idea, for example, how much a 40' container to ship all our stuff back would cost as they brought us over here. Not that we're thinking of getting a GC and then going home - but it did cross our minds that we might have to one day!

And silly little things like how much is yard-maintenance, pool maintenance, would we even be able to afford a pool if we bought a house? All these things are taken care of right now (and we know how lucky we are!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.