Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can someone help me?

Can someone help me?

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

JennieC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can someone help me?

lansbury -I was going to say that. It was considered a domestic flight.
BritishGuy36 - When I came in through Dublin I did NOT have to clear customs again through Manchester, granted it was early but give me a break I wasnt going to question the man. He said I was clear to enter who am I to check his work twice. I know nothing of what "he" is supposed to do, thats not my job... there isnt anything "rich" about it. Even the immigration officer in Manchester said he was in the wrong.

Last edited by JennieC; Oct 23rd 2009 at 8:59 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
No it just indicates a UK immigration officer examined your passport and admitted you to the UK. It is no proof you are still in the UK legally.

I did work in the immigration halls at Heathrow for a number of years
I defer to your greater direct experience.

But you would need said visa to enter the UK again, as a resident; what other proof would you have?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I defer to your greater direct experience.

But you would need said visa to enter the UK again, as a resident; what other proof would you have?
When I was there if the person had landed in the UK the paper landing card filed in a vault in Croydon, I believe that is still the same. Not sure about coming in via Dublin if a landing card is filled in there or not. But as happened they queried why it wasn't stamped and then stamped it. The visa is in the passport they were just wondering why it hadn't been "used".

I would be surprised if the immigration officer in Dublin hadn't stamped the passport somewhere, even if in this case it wasn't on the visa. But mistakes happen. Now the visa has been stamped it would seem to have ended to matter.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JennieC
Even the immigration officer in Manchester said he was in the wrong.
When you got off the plane from Dublin was it an immigration officer or just a man in a suit, who you assumed was immigration. I worked the Belfast and Dublin flights at Heathrow sometimes and people always assumed we were immigration. We didn't enlighten them.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

JennieC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lansbury. Thank you for writing back so quickly.
I first went through customs where they took this form that I filled out on the plane and then I went through (immigration, he was in a suit behind a glass cubicle with other officers in a row, some of them) He had a sign above him that said "other passports" and the others were for Im assuming Uk residents.
He took my passport from me looked it over. I had it opened onto my visa, he asked me if I had ever met my husband I kind of chuckled to myself thinking (how else could we have gotten married hehe) but answered politely yes and told him I was going to live in Manchester, England and that it would be my final destination. He gave it back to me and I ran off (late for my other flight) Mind you- Im only 4'11" and could barely see over the podium he was in. So I was standing on my tippy toes trying to look into his cubicle. So I didnt know what he was doing or looking at in my passport.
Hope that helps explain the events a bit more clearly.