Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain Income Tax in USA

Can someone explain Income Tax in USA

Old Oct 20th 2014, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone explain Income Tax in USA

In addition...tax bracket, charitable donations, retirement saving 401k, IRA's etc. deductions etc can make your calculations inexact...sometimes it's adequate to go with a ballpark number.

For example you can contribute to a 401k retirement plan and the amount you contribute, up $17.5k I believe, will come off your taxable salary. ie that's $17,500 you won't be taxed on, and that could also put you in a lower tax bracket.

Last edited by Hotscot; Oct 20th 2014 at 11:07 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You first $1 is not taxed, but your $79,999 is taxed at 25% (or whatever the rate is). As such, it will never be 25% of 80k but an adjusted tax rate somewhat lower (your marginal tax rate). .
That's not correct. After deductions and exemptions a certain amount will be taxed at 10%, 15%, and only the amount above the 15% marginal tax bracket will be taxed at 25% (see marginal tax table below the tax calculator).

In the case of married filing jointly with an income of $80,000 using the standard deduction plus exemptions, $28,200 will be deducted from income before using the marginal tax brackets. The tax on $80,000 ($51,800 taxable income) will be $6,863 (10% on the 1st $18,150 and 15% for the amount between $18,150 and $51,800). If both children qualify for the "Child Tax Credit", $1,000 per child will be subtracted from the tax owed for a total tax liability of $4,863 producing an effective tax rate of 6.08% on total income.

1040 Tax Calculator

Publication 972 (2013), Child Tax Credit

If itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction and/or employer deductions for a 401K or FSA are made and/or contributions are made to a traditional IRA, the tax burden will be less and the savings will be at the highest marginal tax rate (15% in this case).

Last edited by Michael; Oct 21st 2014 at 12:26 am.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodlad
Can someone explain the income tax system in USA.

No.

Nobody fully understands or can explain the income tax system in the US.

Any other questions we can help you with?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
In addition...tax bracket, charitable donations, retirement saving 401k, IRA's etc. deductions etc can make your calculations inexact. .....
For these reasons, others (possible tax charges on your affairs in the UK?), and peace of mind, paying an experienced tax accountant/ CPA to prepare your taxes probably makes sense, for the first year at least.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:51 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Understanding tax, and figuring out your net pay are not the same thing. Loads of employer/state specific variables that may or may not be mandatory, necessary or desireable.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:04 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

ive been here 7 years and im no closer to understanding the tax system lol.

Just bear in mind - its not a PAYE where the 'correct' sum is taken by the employer. Here you 'nominate' a sum of money to be taken (using their fom and statung how many dependants you want to claim for - doesmnt have to be truthful) - that may or may not be correct and its gets all totted up at year end on the tax return you must fill out.

also a lot of other benefits will come out of that salary before its taken home- medical, life assurance, k, dental, vision, legal, elderly care, healthcare expense account etc etc etc.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Can someone explain the income tax system in USA .
Also, when are you moving exactly? The tax year runs from 1st january to the 31st december. If you arrived in november then I am not sure about how much tax you would pay for 2014.

This is the actual IRS withholding calculator...
2014 Withholding Calculator
Old Oct 21st 2014, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Goodlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
That's not correct. After deductions and exemptions a certain amount will be taxed at 10%, 15%, and only the amount above the 15% marginal tax bracket will be taxed at 25% (see marginal tax table below the tax calculator).

In the case of married filing jointly with an income of $80,000 using the standard deduction plus exemptions, $28,200 will be deducted from income before using the marginal tax brackets. The tax on $80,000 ($51,800 taxable income) will be $6,863 (10% on the 1st $18,150 and 15% for the amount between $18,150 and $51,800). If both children qualify for the "Child Tax Credit", $1,000 per child will be subtracted from the tax owed for a total tax liability of $4,863 producing an effective tax rate of 6.08% on total income.

1040 Tax Calculator

Publication 972 (2013), Child Tax Credit

If itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction and/or employer deductions for a 401K or FSA are made and/or contributions are made to a traditional IRA, the tax burden will be less and the savings will be at the highest marginal tax rate (15% in this case).

Ok so how would I know if my kids would be entitled to Child tax credit?...they are 11 and 7....
So judging by the numbers I could safely say I would be paying somewhat considerably less Income tax than in UK..?

My situation would be as follows:

salary = $81000 per year
Married with 2 kids aged 11 and 7...
I would be paying $450 into 401K
Medical Insurance for whole family would be through my employer costing $250 per month for family.

So from these figures can someone give me a rough idea of take home pay?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 12:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so how would I know if my kids would be entitled to Child tax credit?...they are 11 and 7....
So judging by the numbers I could safely say I would be paying somewhat considerably less Income tax than in UK..?

salary = $81000 per year
Medical Insurance for whole family would be through my employer costing $250 per month for family.

Based on Michael's numbers :$(81,000 -$4,863 -($450x12x. 75) - $250x12)/12
=$(81,000-4,863-4,050-3,000)/12 = $69,087/12 = $5,757/ mth. ..... I think, ..... but it's likely to be close to that.

Assuming that 401k is deductible at your marginal tax rate.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 21st 2014 at 12:14 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

salary = $81000 per year

The $5,400 per year 401K contribution doesn't even show as income when you receive your year end w-2 so income will indicate $75,600 ($81,000-$5,400) minus the standard deduction and exemptions ($28,200) for a total taxable income of $49,400 (medical insurance costs through your employer is not deductible unless you itemize deductions and have total deductions greater than $12,400). The tax on $49,400 taxable income is $6,203.

Since both of your children are under 17, in your care, and you provided at least half their support, both should be eligible for the child tax credit and therefore your total tax burden should be $4,203.

If both you and your wife work, there are also child care tax credits which can reduce your tax burden by up to a maximum of $6,000 depending on your salary and child care expenses. The tax credit will be between 20% and 35% of child care expenses depending on income and is a credit so it is subtracted from taxes owed.

Ten Things to Know About the Child and Dependent Care Credit
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:14 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

Loving this thread, thanks to all those who have given figures. I feel like I have a much stronger understanding of the tax system now and to be honest, with 30% of my salary year one being a tax free Ex Pat allowance, I am feeling pretty happy that I won't be paying too much in tax, particularly compared to over here at the moment!
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Canveydave
...., with 30% of my salary year one being a tax free Ex Pat allowance, .....
What do you mean by that?

Generally speaking, if you receive money from your employer, or by virtue of your employment, (and usually otherwise e.g. lottery winnings and the value of prizes won in competitions) you will have to pay tax on it.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:29 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

For the first 12 months of my employment I am eligible for a "Foreign Service Allowance", in line with "self funded per diem rules" This is on a tax free basis.

After 12 months the amount I receive goes up inline with the amount of tax I would have to pay on it. (In my case it would go up $700 a month). At this point I have to pay the tax.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Canveydave
Loving this thread, thanks to all those who have given figures. I feel like I have a much stronger understanding of the tax system now and to be honest, with 30% of my salary year one being a tax free Ex Pat allowance, I am feeling pretty happy that I won't be paying too much in tax, particularly compared to over here at the moment!
The calculations were only for federal income tax in this thread. Most states also have a state income tax but 7 states do not and 2 states only tax unearned income and not earned income. The highest state income tax (varies between states) have a marginal tax bracket of about 10% and when itemizing deductions for federal income tax, state income taxes paid is a deduction.

FICA taxes (social security and Medicare taxes) also have not been included in this thread. For people on L-1 visas, usually they can opt to pay their foreign pension taxes instead of FICA for up to 5 years (some restrictions apply).
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael
The calculations were only for federal income tax in this thread. Most states also have a state income tax but 7 states do not and 2 states only tax unearned income and not earned income. The highest state income tax (varies between states) have a marginal tax bracket of about 10% and when itemizing deductions for federal income tax, state income taxes paid is a deduction.

FICA taxes (social security and Medicare taxes) also have not been included in this thread. For people on L-1 visas, usually they can opt to pay their foreign pension taxes instead of FICA for up to 5 years (some restrictions apply).
I will be in Texas, so no State Income Tax for me. I will be on an E2 Treaty visa, so will I be able to opt out of FICA and pay pension taxes over here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.