Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can one renew a UK Passport if becoming US citizen

Can one renew a UK Passport if becoming US citizen

Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Thumbsup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can one renew a UK Passport if becoming US citizen

If one becomes US Citizen can one renew the pink EU/UK passport and have that one as well as a US passport. I heard you can have dual citizenship.?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can one renew a UK Passport if becoming US citiezen

Originally Posted by Thumbsup View Post
If one becomes US Citizen can one renew the pink EU/UK passport and have that one as well as a US passport. I heard you can have dual citizenship.?
Welcome to BE.

Yes! I have both PPs.

Why don't you join us over in the US forums?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can one renew a UK Passport if becoming US citiezen

Yes, and welcome to BE!
Old Jan 17th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can one renew a UK Passport if becoming US citizen

Yes, in fact, you can have more than dual citizenship. I have 4, my wife has 3 and our kids have 4. It depends on the countries involved. Some countries restrict the number of citizenships their own citizens can hold. This does not apply to the UK or US. In addition to UK and US citizenship, I also hold Canadian and Irish citizenship. Canada and Ireland also don't restrict multiple citizenships.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Further to the above responses, the only real caveat is that you must use the US passport to enter and leave the US (you may enter the UK on which ever you please they don't care as much as the US).
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
Yes, in fact, you can have more than dual citizenship. I have 4, my wife has 3 and our kids have 4. It depends on the countries involved. Some countries restrict the number of citizenships their own citizens can hold. This does not apply to the UK or US. In addition to UK and US citizenship, I also hold Canadian and Irish citizenship. Canada and Ireland also don't restrict multiple citizenships.
So to renew UK Passport - on the application it asks under the Declaration on last page: -
Question No. 2 "I, or the person named in Section 2 (if different) am a British National and have not lost or given up my national status;
and Question No. 8 "I, or the person named in Section 2, understand that by voluntarily applying for a British Passport, I may lose, my citizenship of another country.
So if you are now a US Citizen how would one answer that and would one declare the American passport and provide that number and provide that passport too along with the British one that is being renewed?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

So to renew UK Passport - on the application it asks under the Declaration on last page: -
Question No. 2 "I, or the person named in Section 2 (if different) am a British National and have not lost or given up my national status;
The only way to lose your British citizenship is by filling in a British citizenship renunciation form. Unless you have filled one in recently you are still a British citizen.

and Question No. 8 "I, or the person named in Section 2, understand that by voluntarily applying for a British Passport, I may lose, my citizenship of another country.
So if you are now a US Citizen how would one answer that and would one declare the American passport and provide that number and provide that passport too along with the British one that is being renewed?
The US don't care if you have other citizenships so you won't lose your US citizenship. You have to swear in front of a federal official that you want to renounce your US citizenship.

India used to take dual citizenship quite seriously. Are you Indian?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for all the info. I really am very grateful for the clarification. No, I am not Indian.