British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can a naturalized citizen be deported (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-naturalized-citizen-deported-498838/)

danny11 Dec 9th 2007 5:14 pm

Can a naturalized citizen be deported

I was wondering can a naturalized citizen ever be deported for any crime, minor offense or a felony? Do you guys know?

Thanks,
Danny

Bob Dec 9th 2007 5:49 pm

Re: Can a naturalized citizen be deported

only if you lied to get citizenship, as in you wouldn't have been eligible for it, then they'd strip it and boot you, otherwise no, they can't because they won't recognise your other citizenships.

NC Penguin Dec 9th 2007 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by danny11 (Post 5650008)
I was wondering can a naturalized citizen ever be deported for any crime, minor offense or a felony? Do you guys know?

Thanks,
Danny

Are you planning to do something?:confused:

surly Dec 9th 2007 10:24 pm

But be careful if you are a LPR.

US Supreme Court Allows Deportation of British Man

"Kiren Kumar Bharti has lived in the US for nearly 25 years at this time, with a number relatives and a young daughter. A British citizen, he was awarded permanent resident status in 1998. However, he was convicted in Mississippi that same year on minor drug possession charges for marijuana."

Bob Dec 9th 2007 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5650814)

"Kiren Kumar Bharti has lived in the US for nearly 25 years at this time, with a number relatives and a young daughter. A British citizen, he was awarded permanent resident status in 1998. However, he was convicted in Mississippi that same year on minor drug possession charges for marijuana."

nothings changed there then....that's one of the main reasons to get citizenship, so you couldn't be deported over the slightest thing.

Jerseygirl Dec 9th 2007 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5650090)
Are you planning to do something?:confused:

Maybe that should be past tense. :blink:

surly Dec 9th 2007 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5650823)
nothings changed there then....that's one of the main reasons to get citizenship, so you couldn't be deported over the slightest thing.

Fortunately I'm a USC. ;)

g1ant Dec 10th 2007 4:51 am

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5650814)

You missed out the bit about him being convicted of domestic violence and resisting arrest.

surly Dec 10th 2007 5:53 am

You missed out the bit about him being convicted of domestic violence and resisting arrest.
Resisting arrest is standard police procedure, just about anyone who gets arrested has that tagged on. Whether the level of domestic violence amounted to a deportable offense I couldn't say. 4 supreme judges said no in this case. A predictable 4 to 5 decision.

Patrick Hasler Dec 10th 2007 6:43 am

Originally Posted by danny11 (Post 5650008)

Thanks,
Danny

Nah !!! ..... Just jailed for life, electrocuted, gassed or shot ..... or sent to Iraq in which case you get all of the above ;)

lapin_windstar Dec 10th 2007 2:38 pm

I originally read the title of this thread as "can a naturalized chicken be deported?".

scotch03 Dec 11th 2007 5:47 am

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 5652872)
I originally read the title of this thread as "can a naturalized chicken be deported?".

No, but it can be fried.