Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can my wife work in the USA?

Can my wife work in the USA?

Old Apr 9th 2004, 4:16 am
Just Joined

bigears is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Can my wife work in the USA?

Hi there,

I am a UK citizen and have the following question I hope you knowledgeable folks can help me with!

If I get a job in the USA (and associated visa issues for me are taken care of) I assume my wife will be allowed to come to.

The real question is, will she have the right to work? Or would she need to find her own sponsor despite living there? Or is the situation like in Japan where she can work a maximum number of hours per week (i.e. part-time).

If she cant work can she at least study at university?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 9th 2004, 5:44 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my wife work in the USA?

Originally posted by bigears
Hi there,
I am a UK citizen and have the following question I hope you knowledgeable folks can help me with!
If I get a job in the USA (and associated visa issues for me are taken care of) I assume my wife will be allowed to come to.
The real question is, will she have the right to work? Or would she need to find her own sponsor despite living there? Or is the situation like in Japan where she can work a maximum number of hours per week (i.e. part-time).
If she cant work can she at least study at university?
Thanks!!
Depends on what visa you get !
Old Apr 9th 2004, 5:53 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Ray is right with the visa thing. If you get an L1, then yes (once she gets her EAD) otherwise, probably not.

As for studying, she can always study, but it will depend on the college/university/state as to what criteria you need to satisfy to pay "home student" fees. International student fees are steep, to say the least!