British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can a lien be put on my house? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-lien-put-my-house-602617/)

coopa_troopa Apr 9th 2009 3:10 am

Can a lien be put on my house?

I have a family member in the UK who has a bank account here in Florida, and I've been letting him use my address for mail he receives from the bank.

I've now found out his bank account is overdrawn, and the bank have written to him at my address to inform him they will be closing his account and reporting him to Chex Systems and all Credit Reporting Agencies.

My question is, how will this affect me, if at all? Can a lien be put on my house for any debts he has here? Will it affect my credit rating?

Someone told me (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) that my address could be "blacklisted" as this is the address which will be reported to the Credit Reporting Agencies.

Need I be worried?

Thanks.

MsElui Apr 9th 2009 3:13 am

Re: Can a lien be put on my house?

i dont know - but i thought all 'credit' here was fixed agaiunst the ssn number of the individual. So whilst they might write nasty letters the house isnt in the ssn numbre of your cousin so how could they lien on it? (similar if he was living in rented accomodation - they cant lien on that if he doesnt own it)

coopa_troopa Apr 9th 2009 3:26 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 7464906)
i dont know - but i thought all 'credit' here was fixed agaiunst the ssn number of the individual. So whilst they might write nasty letters the house isnt in the ssn numbre of your cousin so how could they lien on it? (similar if he was living in rented accomodation - they cant lien on that if he doesnt own it)

But he doesn't have a SSN as he doesn't live here, he lives in the UK. The only association he has with the US is the fact he uses our address for mail, so no-one would actually know if he lives at my address or not.

But my concern is if I apply for credit, would my address show up as having a bad debtor living there?

Thanks for your reply.

MsElui Apr 9th 2009 4:12 am

in the same vein- your ssn should not be tainted by his credit card issues as he will not have quoted your ssn number on the application.

I dont think it works like the UK - whereby the address/name is the key factor for credit. In the US it seems to purely be the ssn number.

AdobePinon Apr 9th 2009 4:12 am

The house isn't in his name.... shouldn't affect you, IMO. And they can't blacklist everyone who lives at a given address.

fatbrit Apr 9th 2009 4:41 am

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa (Post 7464899)
I have a family member in the UK who has a bank account here in Florida, and I've been letting him use my address for mail he receives from the bank.

I've now found out his bank account is overdrawn, and the bank have written to him at my address to inform him they will be closing his account and reporting him to Chex Systems and all Credit Reporting Agencies.

My question is, how will this affect me, if at all? Can a lien be put on my house for any debts he has here? Will it affect my credit rating?

Someone told me (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) that my address could be "blacklisted" as this is the address which will be reported to the Credit Reporting Agencies.

Need I be worried?

Thanks.

Nothing to worry about.

The morons in corporate America can try anything. But generally the law is on your side.

Jsmth321 Apr 9th 2009 8:29 am

If your name is not on said accounts you have nothing to worry about.

Your credit is tied to your name. dob and ssn, not your address.

coopa_troopa Apr 9th 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks everybody. You've put my mind at rest:)

Bluegrass Lass Apr 9th 2009 1:06 pm

Your address isn't blacklisted, nor will your credit be affected, as long as your name isn't on any of his accounts. Credit is purely by SSN.

limeynus Apr 9th 2009 7:19 pm

I agree with most of the posters ... I had a roomate a few years ago .... horrible credit history ... kept getting collection letters. When he finally moved out the letters kept coming but I just returned them to sender ... "no longer at this address" Nothing beyond that has happened ... Although I still get the odd collection letter now and again!

agentpeppermint Apr 11th 2009 1:26 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 7466111)
Your address isn't blacklisted, nor will your credit be affected, as long as your name isn't on any of his accounts. Credit is purely by SSN.

yea the US doesnt do credit like the UK does, your address wont be black listed at all.

Xebedee Apr 11th 2009 12:09 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7465038)
The morons in corporate America.

A lesser spotted Moron.
Aka "Office Gnome"

SpoogleDrummer Apr 11th 2009 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint (Post 7470425)
yea the US doesnt do credit like the UK does, your address wont be black listed at all.

Must be the first thing I like about this system over here. I remember back in the UK I got turned down for a phone contract from Orange despite having used them for 5 years, apparently it was because the person that lived in my flat before me had bad credit so in turn that obviously meant that I wouldn't pay my bills :confused: