British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can insurance recommendations (CA) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-insurance-recommendations-ca-879994/)

dbr84 Jul 6th 2016 5:36 pm

Can insurance recommendations (CA)

'looking for a good car insurance company that may consider my UK no claims bonus due to total lack of US driving history other than getting a license out here recently.

Has anyone had any good success here?

SanDiegogirl Jul 6th 2016 5:41 pm

Re: Can insurance recommendations (CA)

Always found GEICO pretty obliging.

mrken30 Jul 6th 2016 5:57 pm

I always found the coverage a bit sparce on some of the Geico policies. I have used Safeco and All State most recently.

britmick Jul 7th 2016 6:07 pm

How old are you?
AAA is good as is any AARP based insurance that deals with older & safer drivers.
My annual insurance through the Hartford (via AARP) is $333 a year for my F150 & l have a "lingering" speeding ticket from a couple of years ago.

dj6372 Jul 7th 2016 6:14 pm

All State were happy to take my 30 years driving experience, but not no claims.

I've heard Geico will except no claims.

Be prepared for a scary quote, myself and Mrs DJ pay $160 a month

mrken30 Jul 7th 2016 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by britmick (Post 11996600)
How old are you?
AAA is good as is any AARP based insurance that deals with older & safer drivers.
My annual insurance through the Hartford (via AARP) is $333 a year for my F150 & l have a "lingering" speeding ticket from a couple of years ago.

is that full coverage with uninsured driver coverage? It also varies with the age and type of car. I don't think there is readily available insurance group information like the was in the UK

cautiousjon Jul 7th 2016 8:38 pm

I just got car insurance with AAA. I have around 6 years of experience in the UK and 1 in the USA. The quote that I got was about $160 per month, to fully cover my $30K CUV, and for $500,000 coverage for things like collision, liability, uninsured driver protection, etc. I could have pushed the coverage up to $1 million for an extra 10% or so.

kins Jul 8th 2016 1:29 am

I've been really happy with Geico - we've put in a couple of big claims and a few smaller ones and they've paid promptly and provided a rental car that was the equivalent size of the car being fixed. I could find a cheaper policy elsewhere but I'm loath to switch.

mrken30 Jul 8th 2016 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 11996948)
I've been really happy with Geico - we've put in a couple of big claims and a few smaller ones and they've paid promptly and provided a rental car that was the equivalent size of the car being fixed. I could find a cheaper policy elsewhere but I'm loath to switch.

Thanks for that information. Unfortunately as a home owner it's difficult to make sense of going with geico as most other insurers give multi policy discounts

Also it may be worth looking at people like metromile that charge on a per mile basis I believe.

sherbert Jul 9th 2016 8:39 pm

We use Amica and have been very happy so far. They have roadside assistance too which is handy. We also have renters' insurance through them and got a small discount for having multiple policies.

username.exe Jul 10th 2016 9:01 pm

I've been on Geico. Reasonable rates. Will be looking to consolidate various policies with a single provider for [hopefully] a better discount soon.

Wintersong Jul 11th 2016 5:22 am

We have Geico - they're not necessarily the cheapest, but they've always been extremely good with handling claims.