Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can i use a printed form instead of the one they sent? + sponsor?

Can i use a printed form instead of the one they sent? + sponsor?

Old Sep 10th 2004, 8:56 am
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all
Default Can i use a printed form instead of the one they sent? + sponsor?

Just a couple of quick questions regarding my forms sent by the embassy.

I've misplaced my DS-157 after making a photo copy of the original to practice on (stupid i know), but have found it in .pdf format on www.usembassy.org.uk and printed it out. I'd be ok to use this printed copy rather than the original they sent, yes?

Second, the form that specifies your sponsor (I-134 i think off the top of my head - its at home, im at work) anyway, is my fiancee ok to be my sponsor? Does she have to meet any particular monetary requirements?

Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2004, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Expat_Wannabe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can i use a printed form instead of the one they sent? + sponsor?

Originally Posted by torpkevuk
Just a couple of quick questions regarding my forms sent by the embassy.

I've misplaced my DS-157 after making a photo copy of the original to practice on (stupid i know), but have found it in .pdf format on www.usembassy.org.uk and printed it out. I'd be ok to use this printed copy rather than the original they sent, yes?

Second, the form that specifies your sponsor (I-134 i think off the top of my head - its at home, im at work) anyway, is my fiancee ok to be my sponsor? Does she have to meet any particular monetary requirements?

Thanks
You have to fill the DS-157 in online and then print it out.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:05 am
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the pdf form instead of the one they sent me and typed the whole form, I had no problems with this, they gave me a visa on tuesday. They publish these forms on-line for those of us that lose the originals.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:47 am
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by elf
I used the pdf form instead of the one they sent me and typed the whole form, I had no problems with this, they gave me a visa on tuesday. They publish these forms on-line for those of us that lose the originals.
Thanks, I'll use the one I printed out then.

Any ideas on the sponsor thing?
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how many people will be in your family, she needs to make a certain amount. For 2 people it's around $18,000 I think.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Depending on how many people will be in your family, she needs to make a certain amount. For 2 people it's around $18,000 I think.
Its $15,612 for 2 people. The FAQ and breakdown can be found here:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:56 am
Scouse Git

Originally Posted by Dan725
Its $15,612 for 2 people. The FAQ and breakdown can be found here:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm
Sorry if i seem a bit of a dumbass here, but honestly that just reads like stereo instructions to me.

she has to make more than $15,612 per year to sponsor me, (which is around £8,800) or be able to "You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference"

so for example, if, for easy counting, she made $12,000 a year she would have to prove that her cash assets are in excess of $18,060 ??

It shouldn't be a problem, but I'd rather know so I can explain it to her a bit easier.

ta'
Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torpkevuk
Sorry if i seem a bit of a dumbass here, but honestly that just reads like stereo instructions to me.

she has to make more than $15,612 per year to sponsor me, (which is around £8,800) or be able to "You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference"

so for example, if, for easy counting, she made $12,000 a year she would have to prove that her cash assets are in excess of $18,060 ??

It shouldn't be a problem, but I'd rather know so I can explain it to her a bit easier.

ta'
Basically, she needs to make $15,612 total. Wages are 1:1, assets (property etc) are 1:5.

So using your example, she makes $12K a year. That leaves $3,612 to find. So your assets must be worth 5 x $3,612, which as you say is $18,060.

Now, the actual bit you want to know, are savings counted as cash or assets - I'm not sure!!!!!! We had way in excess of both, but I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want to give any wrong advice) cash assets count 1:1, as the reason for the 5:1 business was that if you were starving away feeding your family of 50 on a paltry wage, you could quickly sell everything (someones got to buy at 1/5th the market price, right!) and get yourself out of the hole!

I guess to be on the safe side, you could count cash as 5:1 if you've got it, otherwise I'd just be tempted to Email the powers that be and clarify it.

Bear in mind, that assets can also be stuff you own, any wage that you earn etc.

Sorry I can't be more help!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:24 pm
Scouse Git

You've been a great help, thanks. Like I say, it shouldn't be a problem, but forewarned, is forearmed as they say
Old Sep 10th 2004, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Cash assets are NOT 1:1 but 1:5

You can try reading the FAQ at the start of the alt.us.marriage-based forum on BE. We deal with only marriage-based and fiancee visas for USC and foreigners.

Rete

Basically, she needs to make $15,612 total. Wages are 1:1, assets (property etc) are 1:5.

So using your example, she makes $12K a year. That leaves $3,612 to find. So your assets must be worth 5 x $3,612, which as you say is $18,060.

Now, the actual bit you want to know, are savings counted as cash or assets - I'm not sure!!!!!! We had way in excess of both, but I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want to give any wrong advice) cash assets count 1:1, as the reason for the 5:1 business was that if you were starving away feeding your family of 50 on a paltry wage, you could quickly sell everything (someones got to buy at 1/5th the market price, right!) and get yourself out of the hole!

I guess to be on the safe side, you could count cash as 5:1 if you've got it, otherwise I'd just be tempted to Email the powers that be and clarify it.

Bear in mind, that assets can also be stuff you own, any wage that you earn etc.

Sorry I can't be more help!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
Cash assets are NOT 1:1 but 1:5

Rete
Thanks for correcting me Rete. I think it's kind of dumb though - cash is cash whether you earn it or have it in the bank and could live on it for a year. Still, no one said the immigration process had to make sense....
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Thanks for correcting me Rete. I think it's kind of dumb though - cash is cash whether you earn it or have it in the bank and could live on it for a year. Still, no one said the immigration process had to make sense....
Cash is spent, and then it's gone, like other assets. Earnings are presumably recurring. The sponsorship form is determining ability to support you for many years.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Cash is spent, and then it's gone, like other assets. Earnings are presumably recurring. The sponsorship form is determining ability to support you for many years.
Yeah, Im not disputing that, but you can't tell me that someone with, say 4x the requirement (say $60k) in cash will be worse off than someone who earns $15k a year. Even if it took the person with money in the bank 2 years to find a job, they could live to twice the standard of the person earning $15k whilst looking. Plus, jobs can be lost. The requirements are what they they are but I think its stupid. Who the hell can live at those poverty line requirements anyway? I don't know any husband and wife who get by on $15k a year