British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can i use my U.K. credit rating in the USA ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-i-use-my-u-k-credit-rating-usa-593316/)

50 cool 50 Feb 23rd 2009 12:22 am

Can i use my U.K. credit rating in the USA ?

or do i have to start all over again in the uSA?
I believe they have equifax and experien in the usa like we do in the uk so people should be able to access the information from the USA if needed?

tks guys for all our advice in advance!!!!

50cool

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 23rd 2009 12:23 am

Re: Can i use my U.K. credit rating in the USA ?

Originally Posted by 50 cool 50 (Post 7311884)
or do i have to start all over again in the uSA?
I believe they have equifax and experien in the usa like we do in the uk so people should be able to access the information from the USA if needed?

tks guys for all our advice in advance!!!!

50cool

Hi there! Others will be around shortly with more specific advice, but my understanding is that in most cases you will need to start over unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong and good luck to you!

paul1968mcr Feb 23rd 2009 1:05 am

You'd have thought seeing they were the same companies yes, but sadly no!

you have to start all over afeckingain.

we had to pay $1000 deposit on our cell phones, got bum raped on our lease car.

:curse:

goap Feb 23rd 2009 2:37 am

You can get a HSBC Premier Credit Card and if you apply through the international banking centre in Buffalo, they will use your UK credit rating to set your credit rating here.

e.g. they gave me a limit of $10,000 a week after I moved to the US.

You may need to pay an annual/monthly fee for this though, but once you have this card for 6 months it will build your credit enough to apply for other cards.

Islandgurl Feb 23rd 2009 4:20 am

Do you have a AMEX card, I think they can use your UK rating in the US

ChocolateBabz Feb 23rd 2009 2:42 pm

In our experience they don't care about your UK rating at all. We paid to get our UK report for the mortgage folks over here and they didn't even look at it.

If you have an Amex Card in the UK you can do a 'Global Transfer' of your account once you get here to obtain a US Amex Card. They didn't give us the same credit limit as we had in the UK - they gave us $5,000 and told us that was the most they could do for a tranfer.

Chase Bank on the other hand gave us a $500 limit on one of their Visa's despite having all the cash from our house sale sitting in their account.

I got a Macy's store card a few months in and try to use these cards at least once a month and then pay them off at the end of the month just to build credit.

Duncan Roberts Feb 23rd 2009 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Islandgurl (Post 7312337)
Do you have a AMEX card, I think they can use your UK rating in the US

The UK AMEX won't technically help with your credit rating. What it does do is help you get a US AMEX which will help with your credit rating. It's a good in because chances are you will be denied for credit at almost everywhere if you have no credit rating.

rebs Feb 23rd 2009 3:41 pm

We paid to sign up for the AIG international relocation services - we applied for a credit card via this method and got the HSBC Premier Card with a $10,000 credit limit.

Having that one card to start with has enabled us to build credit history and score.

We also arranged lease cars via this route and those leases are also adding to our credit history.

http://www.aig.com/inbound-united-st..._20_15807.html

Kate2112 Feb 23rd 2009 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr (Post 7311987)
You'd have thought seeing they were the same companies yes, but sadly no!

you have to start all over afeckingain.

we had to pay $1000 deposit on our cell phones, got bum raped on our lease car.

:curse:

Rap is the word you are looking for, yours would illicit sympathy and a prosecution.

Duncan Roberts Feb 23rd 2009 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112 (Post 7314106)
yours would illicit sympathy and a prosecution.

I think that was the intention and rap is not the word they were looking for.

Kate2112 Feb 23rd 2009 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7314200)
I think that was the intention and rap is not the word they were looking for.

What a peculiar turn of phrase in that case.

Longy Feb 23rd 2009 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7314028)
The UK AMEX won't technically help with your credit rating. What it does do is help you get a US AMEX which will help with your credit rating. It's a good in because chances are you will be denied for credit at almost everywhere if you have no credit rating.

From what people who have done this have said, apparantly they transfer over your UK card history to the US card as well, so it would help with your score.

Dan725 Feb 23rd 2009 5:38 pm

:D

Originally Posted by Kate2112 (Post 7314106)
Rap is the word you are looking for, yours would illicit sympathy and a prosecution.

I think the way he said it was exactly what he meant.....it's not peculiar - have you never heard it before?

Duncan Roberts Feb 23rd 2009 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112 (Post 7314219)
What a peculiar turn of phrase in that case.

I'll translate. Ass raped as in they were ****ed by the terms of the lease.