Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I travel to US - 01 visa pending,

Can I travel to US - 01 visa pending,

Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Scotty007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I travel to US - 01 visa pending,

I would welcome some help regarding the situation I have found myself in.

Have had my petition for 01 visa approved.
I attended interview at US embassy in London where my application was refused under Section 221(g).
However I am still hopeful for a positive outcome as I have been asked to submit my passport along with basic documentation.

I have been told it will take up to 10 days to process my application.

My problem is that I am booked to fly to the USA with my parents to their vacation home for Christmas.

However the paperwork I have received says that I currently have a refusal on my 01 application. I do not have time to send in my passport for processing in time for going to florida for my vacation and I am planning to do that on my return.

I already have an approved ESTA granted prior to my refusal at the embassy. Am I ok to travel on that ESTA to Florida for Christmas with my parents.

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I travel to US - 01 visa pending,

http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/vwp3.html

Have you been refused a visa under Section 214(b) or 221(g)?

Travelers who have been refused a visa under the provisions of Section 221(g) or 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act are not prohibited from traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and submitting a registration under the Electronic System For Travel Authorization. The decision to grant permission to travel will be made on a case by case basis.
2 minutes of research.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that link, it was very useful.

However does that mean that I should apply for a new ESTA waiver? or am I ok to travel on my current one which was approved in September and is still valid.

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty007
Thank you for that link, it was very useful.

However does that mean that I should apply for a new ESTA waiver? or am I ok to travel on my current one which was approved in September and is still valid.

Thanks
The previous ESTA is void because of the visa denial, it changes what your answers would have been....so what do you think?

New ESTA will likely be denied because of a recent denial.

Don't count on the holiday, until you get your O1 visa situation sorted.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty007
I already have an approved ESTA granted prior to my refusal at the embassy.
There are only two possible outcomes from a visa application - approval or denial. Anything that isn't an approval is a denial. While you may be able to salvage your O-1 visa application, it is currently denied. As a result of that denial, you must now reapply for ESTA and declare the visa denial. It is unlikely that ESTA will be approved.

Am I ok to travel on that ESTA to Florida for Christmas with my parents.
If you travel on your current ESTA and get caught, you face a possible lifetime ban from the US. So... what's your risk tolerance for failure?

Ian
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There are only two possible outcomes from a visa application - approval or denial. Anything that isn't an approval is a denial....
Well you can withdraw your application, before a decision is made...but would that also be considered a denial?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:56 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well you can withdraw your application, before a decision is made...but would that also be considered a denial?
Yep.

9 FAM 41.103 N13.6 Applicants Refused if Application Withdrawn (CT:VISA-1887; 09-17-2012) If an applicant withdraws a visa application while it is pending adjudication, you should not delete the case, but rather refuse it under INA 221(g) with case notes indicating why you took the action.

Last edited by crg; Dec 10th 2013 at 10:59 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 11:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by crg
Yep.

9 FAM 41.103 N13.6 Applicants Refused if Application Withdrawn (CT:VISA-1887; 09-17-2012) If an applicant withdraws a visa application while it is pending adjudication, you should not delete the case, but rather refuse it under INA 221(g) with case notes indicating why you took the action.
Well that seems a bit harsh
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:17 am
Just Joined

edgewater is an unknown quantity at this point

If Scotty were to apply for an ESTA while his O1 is in 221g, I understand it would not immediately be approved, but would it be approved, say 72 hours or so later if the 221g was for further docs (e.g. passport, photos etc.) to be provided?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Hey, thanks for your replies. Im not going to the risk of flying to the US for the holidays. Ive decided to go ahead and just complete my O applocation process.

Question though... I have been told to sign in at aid.usvisa-info.com and print off an courier-in authorization certificate. I have signed in to my account but can't find this certificate anywhere. Am I overlooking something??

Thanks