Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

can i travel outside US while waiting for permanent residence?

can i travel outside US while waiting for permanent residence?

Old Oct 7th 2002, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

mikell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can i travel outside US while waiting for permanent residence?

i will soon be applying to have the "conditional status" removed from my permanent resident status....the 90 days before it expires begins next month.

my conditional card expires in early february...and we plan to travel outside the country for a holiday in late february.

i don't suppose that my PERMANENT resident card will be granted and arrive before we leave...so i will have to leave with an expired card...not good...

does the INS immediately issue you an extension while reviewing your application? do you have to ask for this? do you get a renewed card? what will i need to leave the US and return during this waiting period?

thanks for any help...
mikell
Old Oct 7th 2002, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

victor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can i travel outside US while waiting for permanent residence?

After INS receives your petition to remove the conditions on your permanent residence status, they will send you Form G-854 which essentially extends your "green card" for another year. Thus your employment and travel is extended by a year from the date your old green card expires.

You can travel on your expired green card and this G-854 form that INS sends you. Basically your Green Card is extended for 1 year in INS database as soon as INS receives your application and your "money". The immigration officer will see this when they swipe your old green card upon your arrival to US. The G-854 form provides a visual proof of that extension. So go ahead and travel, just dont forget to file your petion as early as you can and then take your old expired green card and the form G-854 that you will receive.
Old Oct 8th 2002, 1:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

With the exception of Vermont, the remaining three service centers (you don't mention which one you will be using) all are doing the I-751 in less than 9 months. No the service center does not issue an automatic extension of the original NOA they send you. You have to go into the local INS office and request another I-551 stamp in your passport.

Rete

Originally posted by mikell:
i will soon be applying to have the "conditional status" removed from my permanent resident status....the 90 days before it expires begins next month.

my conditional card expires in early february...and we plan to travel outside the country for a holiday in late february.

i don't suppose that my PERMANENT resident card will be granted and arrive before we leave...so i will have to leave with an expired card...not good...

does the INS immediately issue you an extension while reviewing your application? do you have to ask for this? do you get a renewed card? what will i need to leave the US and return during this waiting period?

thanks for any help...
mikell
Old Oct 8th 2002, 1:29 am
L D Jones

mikell wrote:
    > i will soon be applying to have the "conditional status" removed from
    > my permanent resident status....the 90 days before it expires begins
    > next month.
    > my conditional card expires in early february...and we plan to travel
    > outside the country for a holiday in late february.
    > i don't suppose that my PERMANENT resident card will be granted and
    > arrive before we leave...so i will have to leave with an expired
    > card...not good...
    > does the INS immediately issue you an extension while reviewing your
    > application? do you have to ask for this? do you get a renewed card?
    > what will i need to leave the US and return during this waiting period?

You will be sent a letter that extends your status for another year. You
can travel with the letter, your passport and your greencard, even if it
is expired.

I have no idea how long it might take for you to receive the letter. You
don't have to ask for it. If you are approved without an interview you
will then have to take new photos to your local INS office and a new
card will then be made as I understand the process.

Old Oct 8th 2002, 2:47 am
Just Joined

mikell is an unknown quantity at this point

ok...i'm still a bit confused...conflicting info?

i'm using vermont .... unfortunately as it sounds....

i will submit my application on the FIRST day that i can...giving myself the whole 90 days to hopefully get some kind of letter or extension before my card expires...or before i leave on holidays...which is about 18 days after the card expires...

should i ask for a letter of renewal? an extension since i will need it quickly? should i let them know i need to travel outside the US at that time?

i'm in rochester NY...would i have to go to buffalo to get a stamp?

just need some clarification....
but i appreciate the info/advice...and i figured that being able to take passport, expired card.....AND a letter or extension would be all i would need...my husband is afraid i'll run into problems getting back into the states...especially if security really tightens in light of "potential" war scenerio with iraq!!! just something else to think about...

thanks again...this group was so much help two years ago when i first started the process...i'm glad to be back on....

mikell