Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I return to USA for healthcare if I reside in the UK?

Can I return to USA for healthcare if I reside in the UK?

Old Jun 21st 2023, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Streetlegal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I return to USA for healthcare if I reside in the UK?

Hi all,

UK citizen with long-term green card, will likely file for US citizenship this coming year. Have been working in USA for 20 years and will rely on USA pension, SS, and retirement funds when I retire (save a partial amount of UK state pension at 67). I pay medicare in the USA and have excellent health coverage with my current employer. When I retire, I will look into extending the coverage (or equivalent).

I may, when I retire, live in the UK--at least part of the year--until I decide which country to make my final base.

My questions: can USA citizens continue to access the US healthcare citizen if they reside abroad--for example, returning to the US for a limited period of time each year for "check ups," labs etc.

To rely on the NHS would be a massive stepdown compared with my current US coverage and, as someone with multiple chronic conditions, this is a big factor for my general well-being. From my knowledge, even private health insurance in the UK offers very little in comparison with the service I have in the USA (unless I am mistaken).

For example: with Kaiser I communicate easily with my all consultants via messaging, I can get labs ordered online and results online usually within a day or two and I can get appointments and procedures usually with a few weeks' notice. My PCP visits aren't rushed.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Ed

Old Jun 21st 2023, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I return to USA for healthcare if I reside in the UK?

If you are paying premiums either for an individual plan, company plan or Medicare then, yes you will be able to access that service.

I know several people who live in Mexico, are retired and paying their Medicare premiums for the whole purpose of being able to visit the US for medical treatment..

Whether or not your current company will allow you to continue a company plan while living overseas is up to the company.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much SanDiegogirl!

I believe my current provide, Kaiserpermanente, is limited to my residing within State, so I would definitely need to look in to another provider, even if I just moved to a different state in the USA, let alone abroad.

Is there any general consensus on what British citizens do about healthcare if they retire and move back to the UK? Do people rely on the NHS or do they tend to seek alternative or supplemental coverage for health insurance, or, as you suggest, by keeping payments on an American domestic coverage and returning to the US if needed?

Cheers,
Paul

Old Jun 21st 2023, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most people who return to the UK use the NHS and, where necessary, top us with a private policy.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 11:30 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Streetlegal
Hi all,

UK citizen with long-term green card, will likely file for US citizenship this coming year. Have been working in USA for 20 years and will rely on USA pension, SS, and retirement funds when I retire (save a partial amount of UK state pension at 67). I pay medicare in the USA and have excellent health coverage with my current employer. When I retire, I will look into extending the coverage (or equivalent).

I may, when I retire, live in the UK--at least part of the year--until I decide which country to make my final base.

My questions: can USA citizens continue to access the US healthcare citizen if they reside abroad--for example, returning to the US for a limited period of time each year for "check ups," labs etc.

To rely on the NHS would be a massive stepdown compared with my current US coverage and, as someone with multiple chronic conditions, this is a big factor for my general well-being. From my knowledge, even private health insurance in the UK offers very little in comparison with the service I have in the USA (unless I am mistaken).

For example: with Kaiser I communicate easily with my all consultants via messaging, I can get labs ordered online and results online usually within a day or two and I can get appointments and procedures usually with a few weeks' notice. My PCP visits aren't rushed.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Ed
In the FWIW department, KP does have Medicare C plans. They take the Medicare B premiums that are deducted from your SS payments. The C coverage also includes D coverage. I have that. Also included is coverage for when I’m out of state or country traveling.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Oh thanks, Folinsky. The way Medicare works is new to me. A quick bit of research suggests, as you say, a good deal would be Kaiser C plan which is laid out clearly on their website. I think this only works for when I'm residing in California, though. I'm surprised how competitively-priced it is, including the extended cover of Advantage Plus (IIRC).
Cheers
Ed
Old Jun 22nd 2023, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Most people who return to the UK use the NHS and, where necessary, top us with a private policy.
This is what we do, and have done this past 7 years. Has worked well so far, my wife had cataract surgery under our UK insurance and I had knee surgery. I also had heart treatment and day surgery (ablation) under the NHS over 4 years ago - great service​​​​​, no complaints at all.

In the middle of the Covid epidemic in 2020 my knee got very painful and swollen so I used one of my 5/year same day video appointments to meet with a GP who sent me a signed pdf referral to an orthopedic consultant. I called our insurance and told him the private hospital I wanted to use and he said they were in their network, so go ahead and pick a consultant. I saw one the following week, who ordered an MRI which I had same day at the hospital. It was a badly torn meniscus and the surgery fixed me up a couple of months later. (Even the private sector had delays during the pandemic).
Old Jun 22nd 2023, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Durham Lad,

Thank you.

You are as helpful as always. Although I have a number of chronic conditions that wouldn't be covered by such a private plan, it would still be useful to me. Could you give me an inkling of where to look online for the kind of coverage you have and how much it costs so I can check it out?

I guess one thing that I would really miss from the States is the ability to communicate with my all my consultants via online messaging (endocronologist, gastroenterologist and neurologist). I find that 80% of the time a message of reassurance from a consultant suffices in lieu of a formal appointment. I'm also able to get labs performed this way with test results also available online, usually within 48 hours. I'm guessing there is no such equivalent in the UK?

Cheers
Ed
Old Jun 22nd 2023, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you are looking for private health insurance in the UK, just Google:

Private health insurance companies UK

Several companies come up.
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you are looking for private health insurance in the UK, just Google:

Private health insurance companies UK

Several companies come up.
Or Bing
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Compare the market also is good

https://www.comparethemarket.com/health-insurance/

Old Jun 24th 2023, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
In the FWIW department, KP does have Medicare C plans. They take the Medicare B premiums that are deducted from your SS payments. The C coverage also includes D coverage. I have that. Also included is coverage for when I’m out of state or country traveling.
Limited to $50k lifetime (?) I think. Also, you have to be resident in states where KP has facilities to qualify for one of their Advantage plans.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 24th 2023 at 2:35 am.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Glad to hear you are having a good experience with Kaiser; I joined them for the first time this year, and find them less accessible/responsive than my previous provider network. What Kaiser region are you in? Regardless - if you have serious medical needs, and you've found a good doctor and a good insurance setup, stick with it! That's not easy to find.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Limited to $50k lifetime (?) I think. Also, you have to be resident in states where KP has facilities to qualify for one of their Advantage plans.
Oh thanks, Folinsky. The way Medicare works is new to me. A quick bit of research suggests, as you say, a good deal would be Kaiser C plan which is laid out clearly on their website. I think this only works for when I'm residing in California, though. I'm surprised how competitively-priced it is, including the extended cover of Advantage Plus (IIRC).
Cheers
Ed
The issue of 'residency' has come up several times in this thread. I believe SanDiegoGirl is correct in saying that, as long as you pay your premiums, you will remain eligible for Medicare regardless of where you live. But you will have to be physically present within a coverage area in order to actually receive service (outside of urgent/emergency care). With Kaiser in particular, you can only get 'routine service' (see doctors, get tests, visit facilities, etc) within one of the 8 defined Kaiser 'regions'. So for example, if you were living in the UK and wanted to see a US doctor, you'd need to visit a KP facility in the US (listed here - https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org...g/kpfacilities ). Presumably, you would travel to wherever you currently have roots, a place to stay, or friends to stay with, etc. This brochure explains more about KP Medicare coverage for travelers: - https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org...-traveling.pdf
The brochure does say you can get routine care outside of your 'home service area', but they are vague about exactly how that works. Is that what Giantaxe refers to above as being limited to $50k lifetime?

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 5th 2023 at 5:33 am.
Old Jul 6th 2023, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi Steerpike,

Thanks for your thoughts and for the links you supply. In response to your question, I am with Kaiser Northern California based in SF. In recent years, there does seem to be quite a high turnover of PCPs, which has been something of an issue. However, I do find my consultants are excellent at responding to messages and lab work is generally performed very quickly and efficiently. Kaiser are indeed limited to only a few states. My current thinking is that I am more likely to base myself in the US in the immediate future and possibly long-term.

Thanks for the links--I've yet to look at the resources but will do.

Cheers
Ed