Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I pay a UK credit card without a UK bank account?

Can I pay a UK credit card without a UK bank account?

Old Apr 13th 2015, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

NorthYorkshirelass will become famous soon enough
Default Can I pay a UK credit card without a UK bank account?

I have a Natwest credit card in the UK that I make monthly payments to by wire transfer from my US credit union (the only bank account I have so far) to an old Student current account at Natwest. I then go online to my Natwest accounts and pay the credit card from the funds that I sent from the US out of the current account.
This current account is overdrawn though, and although I am just chipping away to get the overdraft back to zero, I have been told I am not able to use that current account to make a payment to the credit card, they are happy for funds to be going in to pay down the overdraft, but don't want any funds to leave the account.

My question is, how can I make a payment to the Natwest card if I can no longer use the UK Natwest current account to make a payment?

I am eager to pay the credit card, I called them today and cannot make a payment over the phone as my card is a US bank card, I can't set up an online payment from my US credit union to the UK credit card, and Natwest won't accept a check each month in US dollars to pay the UK credit card because of difference in currency.

Kind of frustrated as I have the funds here to pay the credit card...anyone have a US bank that they link directly to UK credit card/debts to pay it? Is there a US bank I can open an account with that partners with the UK to pay cards etc there? Is there some kind of international bank card I can 'top up' with dollars here, but use online to pay this credit card.

As you can see I am clutching at straws here. Any help is appreciated. Maybe I need to open a checking account at a bigger bank and not my little local company credit union, one that allows international online bill pay or something.

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I pay a UK credit card without a UK bank account?

Could you get a bank draft from your US bank (or other institution....maybe Western Union) in GBP and post it to them that way?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You could get an international bank draft (cashier's check) in GBP and mail it to the UK. Of course there's a fee for the bank draft.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

NorthYorkshirelass will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I will look into the bank draft option, wonder if it will cost me more than the 40 dollars I currently pay for wire transfer from my credit union!
I wonder if there is a US credit card that would take a balance transfer from a UK credit card, so I can pay it down, without incurring the monthly transfer fees?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get a US credit card, you may be able to use it to buy a bank draft to pay off the UK credit card. Depends on the amount and you may run into some issues due to money laundering regulations - rules differ from bank to bank. You might be able to withdraw a cash advance on the US credit card but usually that's an expensive option in terms of interest rate.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 13th 2015 at 7:15 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthYorkshirelass
Thanks, I will look into the bank draft option, wonder if it will cost me more than the 40 dollars I currently pay for wire transfer from my credit union! .....
I'm sorry, but are you saying that you are paying $40 to send a wire? ...... Or are you sending a $40 wire?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:36 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

would it be possible to transfer funds via an foreign exchange service like worldfirst?

I looked at the natwest cc payment options and it says this..
"Other banks’ online and telephone banking services

Please quote your credit card number and sort code (both found on bank giro credit slip). If a bank account number is requested, please quote 00000000. You cannot use these details for a Chaps payment."
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Use one of the money exchange services. You will get a better exchange rate, lower fees and it can go straight to the credit card.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Use one of the money exchange services. You will get a better exchange rate, lower fees and it can go straight to the credit card.

now that is a useful thing to know for sure! Have you done this?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

now that is a useful thing to know for sure! Have you done this?
Not to a credit card company but many times to a third party. It is just a bank to bank transaction. There is nothing different about paying a credit card company, so long as you quote whatever reference(s) they need to identify the payment.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:10 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I have sent fairly small US$ personal checks to my Lloyds/TSB credit card for 11 years on and off. No problem except timing. I think I asked this same question back in the day, and someone suggested just send a check, even if they said don't - I doubt they will reject it.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I usually use xoom to transfer money into my UK account and pay from there, but I have used it to pay to a credit card directly in the past. The rate is not the best out there but it is very quick and easy.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I have used XE.com several times to pay 3rd parties in the UK and Europe. If the credit card company will provide their bank details you should be able to use a service like xoom or xe.com.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

sav2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

The other possible way is to get yourself a line of credit from your bank and pay off the UK card in full, then repay the US debt instead. You are not able to transfer UK credit card debt to the USA, I tried with a few different cards / banks and it is not allowed.
Or even open an offshore bank account with a UK bank (I have one with Lloyds for this very purpose).