Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

can i move??????

can i move??????

Old Oct 8th 2014, 2:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can i move??????

Originally Posted by Bridges01
like i said before im pretty confident that the skills i have would be useful to a potential employer ...

...with the experience i have and attention to detail i think that i could be a real asset to any reputable flooring company.
If you believe this to be true, then all you have to do is find a flooring company in the USA that would be willing to spend the money it takes to bring you over to the USA to work for them. Your job probably does not qualify for an H1B (simply because of the nature of the work), but perhaps a US flooring company would be willing to petition you for an Immigrant Visa, which can take a year or more to obtain. If they feel your work is special enough, maybe they will do that for you. It's up to you to find such a company and convince them that they need you.

it is my intention to set up my own company in the future with that ethos installed.
You could set up your own company now in the UK and then later transfer yourself to the USA to set up a branch here. The UK business still has to stay up and running, though.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2014, 2:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
....... You could set up your own company now in the UK and then later transfer yourself to the USA to set up a branch here. The UK business still has to stay up and running, .....
..... for as long as you remain in the US, unless/until you obtain a green card, which is possible via that route.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bridges01
i really appreciate all the info people are giving me but i think i am being a little misunderstood, im not after some sort of life advice or even advice of whether the move is the right or wrong decision for me. like i said before im pretty confident that the skills i have would be useful to a potential employer as im not just cheap paid labour i have spent years becoming a master fitter in all types of flooring and tilling, i can lay soft wood, hard wood, vinyls, marmoleum, vinyl tiles, luxury vinyl tiles, all types of carpet (which there are quite a few with big diiferences) ceramics, stone, slate, all types of natural flooring from sisal, coir to seagrass and plynyl. i can lay artificial grass. ive done floors for major events like wimbledon, royal ascot and the british grand prix. ive laid floors for major companies like aston martin, redbull, mercedes, moet & chandon and the main meeting hall at the celtic manor hotel where the g20 summit was held a few weeks ago. i can also fully prepare any job measure, price, order materials and set out borders and inserts. i can speak to and take a client every step of the way through a job and if need be reassure and install confidence in the task at hand. i know im ranting a bit but its a little disrespectful to think that someone stood on the street corner could achieve the same finished product as a skilled tradesman. some people might like to spend cheap and get a cheap end product but there are a lot of people out there that will spend big and would expect perfection of which i intend to supply. so in that respect with the experience i have and attention to detail i think that i could be a real asset to any reputable flooring company. it is my intention to set up my own company in the future with that ethos installed. i am well aware of the turbulent us employment market but the economy is growing again and if everything i am reading about the us (and seeing here in britain) continues i really think there will be no shortage of work. we were looking at the east coast anywhere from north carolina to virgia to vermont so its a real broad area. i have a 10 year old and a 2 year old so my wife is a full time mum at the minute but were looking at maybe some sort of college or university course until the 2 year old starts school and she could go back to work. thanks
I get that too. I'm a landscape architect and most people think I push a lawn mower around all day, which is a bit like assuming an architect is a hod carrier (without any disrespect to hod carriers!)

FYI, I got here in 2002 on an EB3 visa which is for skilled workers. I found a company here to sponsor me for it. It took over two and a half years of waiting and paperwork, but eventually it came through. They had to prove there was no US citizen available to do the job. Not sure how they did it, but somehow it happened. Probably because the job was in a geographical area not appealing to most Americans to move to and without too many qualified landscape architects already there. If your skills are as extensive and niche as they sound, you might get through the labor certification part of it, but finding an employer happy to wait a long time and pay all the fees will be difficult.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That seems a fairly quick process for an EB3. I believe it has speeded up recently but seem to remember it was 6 years not so long ago.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
That seems a fairly quick process for an EB3. I believe it has speeded up recently but seem to remember it was 6 years not so long ago.
I think the employer started the application in November 1999 and I got the visa in August of 2002. It may have involved them contacting their senator to complain about the length of the process at some point, although not sure he actually did anything.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You could set up your own company now in the UK and then later transfer yourself to the USA to set up a branch here. The UK business still has to stay up and running, though.

Ruhhhheally? But is this the thing that requires a significant amount of $$$ investment and promise of providing x amount of jobs for the local community? If not, please direct me to where we can find more info about this.

To the OP, Bridges01, you'll have to get used to the tone, the 'computer says no' and the holier than thou attitude of some posters. Once you get used to that, you'll see that what (most of them) are saying is generally correct.

It's true that it's a HARD life here in the US if you are not transferred here with a company on a fat expat package or are making a massive amount of money somehow.

Not saying you can't make a massive amount of money with what you do but what they are saying is true; realistically you have to find someone to get you over here otherwise it will be a struggle.

Perhaps research about whether you have one special skill in your list of skills that is in demand in a certain geographical area that you can play up your experience in (remember: everyone here is a sales(wo)man; they could sell kibble to a dog!) and start pitching yourself to high end companies. It may come to nothing but at least you tried.

Mr Weeze, everyone from Cuba is some sort of professor or doctor. I often wonder whether it's true. When I was in Havana our taxi driver told us he was a brain surgeon and needed to drive a taxi because he only made $20 a month at the hospital.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Ruhhhheally? But is this the thing that requires a significant amount of $$$ investment and promise of providing x amount of jobs for the local community? If not, please direct me to where we can find more info about this. ....
L-1.visa, plain and simple, no "minimum investment", no requirement to create jobs, just a branch of a self-sustaining UK business.

Just a like a businessman in the UK can delegate a trusted employee, apply for an L-1 visa for him, and send him to the US to start a US branch for him, the businessman can choose to leave a trusted employee behind as manager of the UK "head office" and start the US branch himself.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 9th 2014 at 3:45 am.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmnnnn. Doesn't work if you're a sole trader or a LTD with no employees then !

For information purposes for others:
http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...ction-l1-visa/
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Nobody suggested it would?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

"Self sustaining UK business" could mean anything as long as it's duh, self sustaining and in the UK.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:47 am
Account Closed

True.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Ruhhhheally? But is this the thing that requires a significant amount of $$$ investment and promise of providing x amount of jobs for the local community? If not, please direct me to where we can find more info about this.

To the OP, Bridges01, you'll have to get used to the tone, the 'computer says no' and the holier than thou attitude of some posters. Once you get used to that, you'll see that what (most of them) are saying is generally correct.

It's true that it's a HARD life here in the US if you are not transferred here with a company on a fat expat package or are making a massive amount of money somehow.

Not saying you can't make a massive amount of money with what you do but what they are saying is true; realistically you have to find someone to get you over here otherwise it will be a struggle.

Perhaps research about whether you have one special skill in your list of skills that is in demand in a certain geographical area that you can play up your experience in (remember: everyone here is a sales(wo)man; they could sell kibble to a dog!) and start pitching yourself to high end companies. It may come to nothing but at least you tried.

Mr Weeze, everyone from Cuba is some sort of professor or doctor. I often wonder whether it's true. When I was in Havana our taxi driver told us he was a brain surgeon and needed to drive a taxi because he only made $20 a month at the hospital.
Who's 'holier than thou'?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Can he not enter as well?
No....Brits aren't eligible, with the exception of N.Ireland. Down to wifey, I'm afraid!
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue
No....Brits aren't eligible, with the exception of N.Ireland. Down to wifey, I'm afraid!
I thought wives could apply using husband's citizenship and vice versa?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I thought wives could apply using husband's citizenship and vice versa?
Anyone who is eligible and "wins" gets gs's for their spouse and children. Two eligible spouses can both apply, but if only one is eligible then only one can apply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.