Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I have UK & USA Passport?

Can I have UK & USA Passport?

Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I have UK & USA Passport?

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
Yes, with the exception that you posted US citizens must exit the US on their US passport. It probably depends on the airline. When I flew BA, they'd take the US passport. Still, as long as you get in and out, does it really matter?
I think it matters. As you note, there is no exit control from US borders.

I would not leave things up to the airlines as you do, but probably because I think it matters.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Dual national BIL once took a trip to Australia from US. Australia has an online visa application system upon which the US ESTA was later based. He first applied using his UK passport and was denied. He then applied again with his US passport number and was approved.

Go figure.
We applied online using our UK PP and got the visas.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:47 pm
Getting my head around it

WhySoHard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
What countries would a Yank or Brit be visiting that they would require a travel visa?
China
Ghana
Pakistan... To name a few!!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:29 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if I'm drinking British beer, but I only have an American pisspot?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhySoHard
China
Ghana
Pakistan... To name a few!!
Vietnam required one. That said, a travel agent located in Vietnam corresponding with one in the US can obtain a pre-clearance for a group. We showed the PDF of the official clearance with all names except our own blacked out -- and China Airlines boarded us at LAX with no problem. The visa sticker was placed in the passport at SGN.

BTW, if one travels to Vietnam on an organized tour -- it is CHEAPER in regards to visa fees than applying to the Consulate. Go figure. I should not complain, I passed up a chance for an all expense paid trip there 41 years ago -- but it was a lot safer now than then.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think it matters. As you note, there is no exit control from US borders.

I would not leave things up to the airlines as you do, but probably because I think it matters.
Mona: Well said. I like to remember Karl Malden to describe US law -- "Don't leave home without them."

BTW, the AmEx offices in Europe no longer offer the same services they used. I got caught up in that a few years back when I went to exchange Euro's for Czech Kroners in Berlin and I've been an AmEx "member" since 1988. [Further BTW, one daughter has my AmEx card and she is amused that it shows her to be a member since she was five years old. ]

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 30th 2011 at 1:35 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Mona: Well said. I like to remember Karl Malden to describe US law -- "Don't leave home without them."

BTW, the AmEx offices in Europe no longer offer the same services they used. I got caught up in that a few years back when I went to exchange Euro's for Czech Kroners in Berlin and I've been an AmEx "member" since 1988. [Further BTW, one daughter has my AmEx card and she is amused that it shows her to be a member since she was five years old. ]
Those offices really used to be a touchstone, didn't they? We got a bit stuck when the Spanish banks limited people to exchanging $50 day. Of course, we were living off of "Spain On $5 A Day" at the time.

I wish *I* had been put on the account when I was 5, it had some real cache then!