Reload this Page >

Can I have Dual Citizenship?

Can I have Dual Citizenship?

Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:30 pm
HKP
Just Joined

HKP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I have Dual Citizenship?

Hello everyone, I'm a first time poster. Apologies if these questions are answered elsewhere, but I've looked for the last hour or so and can't find them.

I'm a UK citizen and a GC holder since 2005, and I'm think about becoming a US citizen.

1. If I go for US citizenship, do I have to give up my UK citizenship? Or can I keep it and basically have dual citizenship?

2. Approximately how much does it cost to change status from GC to USC?

3. How long does the process take?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I have Dual Citizenship?

Originally Posted by HKP
Hello everyone, I'm a first time poster. Apologies if these questions are answered elsewhere, but I've looked for the last hour or so and can't find them.

I'm a UK citizen and a GC holder since 2005, and I'm think about becoming a US citizen.

1. If I go for US citizenship, do I have to give up my UK citizenship? Or can I keep it and basically have dual citizenship?

Of course you can be a dual US/UK citizen if you meet all the US requirements. This forum is full of them, so read around a bit for experience as to how long it takes.

Also read the instructions:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HKP

Hi HKP. You do not have to give up UK citizenship if you become a US citizen. A lot of people have dual (or even more) citizenship.

Most questions you have are probably answered here. I say probably because I can't be bothered to read it and find out
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can I have Dual Citizenship?

Originally Posted by HKP

You don't lose your British Citizenship A few countries don't allow their nationals to take on another citizenship eg. India and Singapore, but the British govt. does not recognise oaths given to acquire other citizenships. The only way to lose it is to formally renounce it in the presence of a British Consular official.

It's easy to change from GC to US citizenship if you meet the requirements , pass the interview and test and pay for it! ($680)

All the info is here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

I've applied for naturalization and have my interview - I'm sure I'll meet the English language standards lol! - and test in a couple of weeks. I just downloaded the form online and mailed it off with 2 passport photos and a cheque and didn't bother going through an agency or legal firm, it's easy to do on your own. I applied in mid-May and had my biometrics at the end of June, in NJ.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:48 pm
HKP
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick replies and the links. I've got a lot of reading to do...

I asked about dual citizenship as I read or heard somewhere that the US expects you to renounce your previous citizenship and I wasn't too happy at the prospect of giving up my British passport.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKP
Thanks for the quick replies and the links. I've got a lot of reading to do...

I asked about dual citizenship as I read or heard somewhere that the US expects you to renounce your previous citizenship and I wasn't too happy at the prospect of giving up my British passport.
No, they can't and don't require you to give up your British citizenship. It's actually quite difficult to get rid of your British citizenship. I think you have to find an ambassador or consul and stamp your foot and turn round three times or something in front of them while saying that you don't want to be British.

What you do have to do is repeat the oath where you abjure your allegiance to foreign principalities and powers. It didn't sit too well with me either, but at the end of the day when you get US citizenship what it means is that the UK can no longer protect you against the US and its laws. And if the US wants to draft you, it can and will, or put you in prison. Practically speaking, it isn't often an issue and you certainly don't lose your UK citizenship or passport.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:04 am
HKP
Just Joined

Very good info from Lion and Englishmum, thanks a lot.

Lion; it seems you have / had the same sorts of concerns as me.

Talking of the laws and protection from the UK government, as I understand it, if you had a GC and god forbid committed a felony offence, you'd do your time here and then get deported. If you were a USC and did the same thing, you'd do your time but would be allowed to stay.

Are there any tax or social security implications between GC and USC? Or are they the same for either status?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by HKP
Very good info from Lion and Englishmum, thanks a lot.

Lion; it seems you have / had the same sorts of concerns as me.

Talking of the laws and protection from the UK government, as I understand it, if you had a GC and god forbid committed a felony offence, you'd do your time here and then get deported. If you were a USC and did the same thing, you'd do your time but would be allowed to stay.

Are there any tax or social security implications between GC and USC? Or are they the same for either status?
As far as I know all social security and tax stuff is the same, but I could well be wrong so I would find someone who knows more than I. Nor do I know if they would deport you. I believe it depends on the crime - ex nazis with US citizenship have certainly been extradited, but that's not quite the same thing I suppose.

For the rest, the US asks nothing unreasonable. You are taking their citizenship, so they ask you to defend the country and uphold its laws. I don't see how they could ask for less. Those of us born in the UK were never asked to swear to anything - we were just born there. Taking the citizenship of another country is a conscious act. How well it sits with you depends on your views toward the country - but if you apply for citizenship you have to take responsibility for that.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKP
Once you become a USC, you are forever obligated to report worldwide income and file a US tax return, if you earn enough to warrant filing one, even if you permanently move away from the USA.

US PR's are also obligated, however, if they stay outside the USA for too long, they abandon their PR status and no longer have to file a US tax return. You can't abandon USCship that way...you'd have to take steps to renounce it.

Rene
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKP
The renunciation oath you take at the US naturalization ceremony means absolutely nothing to the UK. The UK (and many other countries) couldn't care less how the US administers its naturalization process. As others have said, you keep your UK citizenship unless you take specific steps to renounce it with the UK authorities - NOT the US authorities.

In fact, the US does recognize the concept of dual citizenship (or, more accurately, multiple citizenships).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

I have 4 citizenships (Ireland, UK, Canada and US) as do my 4 children. My wife is a citizen of UK, Canada and US.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:34 pm
HKP
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for all the help. The pointers and advice and links have saved me days of frustration and trawling through the internet.