British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can I get car insurance in Il without a social security number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-i-get-car-insurance-il-without-social-security-number-646610/)

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 9:23 am

Can I get car insurance in Il without a social security number

Hi all,

New here - have read some previous threads re this issue but don't appear to answer my query. My wife and I will be moving over to Chicago from the UK in the new year, and I've realised that upon arrival I will need to wait approx 10 days before applying for my ss number.

I had intended to arrive and
(1) try and buy a car (cash if pos) and have had confirmation from a few dealers that I can buy a car without a ss number as long as I would be paying cash and not financing the vehicle.
(2) rent a house - still not sure if a ss number is required for this, but from what I've read a larger security deposit may negate the need for a ss number (given we have no credit history anyway).

So, given that with (1) I will be able to buy the vehicle, are there any insurers who will provide insurance without a ss number? anybody had any experience with this in Il?

And with (2) - any further advice?

Many thanks,

Dean

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 9:25 am

Re: Can I get car insurance in Il without a social security number

forgot to mention I will be on an L1 visa and my wife an L2 if that helps.

dave2702 Dec 30th 2009 11:41 am

Don't know about the insurance, but another issue maybe can you buy a car without a Drivers Licence :fingerscrossed: and you won't be able to get a Licence without a SSN and without a licence then you'll have problems getting insurance

Make friends with Jesse White and the Illinois DMV

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks Dave. It would appear that my valid UK drivers is acceptable in the state - so hopefully that won't be a show stopper.

lisa67 Dec 30th 2009 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Chicago Dean (Post 8206128)
Thanks Dave. It would appear that my valid UK drivers is acceptable in the state - so hopefully that won't be a show stopper.

for how long? I don't know about Illinois, but a lot of states only allow you to drive for around 90 days without a valid state driving license :ohmy:

NiceOneDelBoy Dec 30th 2009 2:09 pm

I think you will find that you can get insurance using an international driving license number for a short time (I used to work for an insurance agency in PA). Although the rates will be higher than that of a US driving license applicant.

fatbrit Dec 30th 2009 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chicago Dean (Post 8205618)
(1) try and buy a car (cash if pos) and have had confirmation from a few dealers that I can buy a car without a ss number as long as I would be paying cash and not financing the vehicle.

The easy solution to the car is to rent for the first 2 or 3 weeks on your UK license.

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 2:26 pm

Many thanks all - I will prob have to rent a car and wait. I read that the international drivers was not valid in Il?

ChocolateBabz Dec 30th 2009 2:32 pm

We rented an apartment with no SSN's here in Houston, TX. Everyone required a deposit (apartment, electric, cable) due to no credit history but the SSN part was never a problem. We bought our cars without have our US drivers licences or SSN's - they were only interested in the money ;). We got our insurance with State Farm and were told to let them know our SSN's and US drivers licence nr's when we got them (which was only a couple of weeks later). Maybe you could give their office in Chicago a call and just check that they could do the same.

fatbrit Dec 30th 2009 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Chicago Dean (Post 8206257)
Many thanks all - I will prob have to rent a car and wait. I read that the international drivers was not valid in Il?

The international driver license is not important since your license shouldn't need translation. Against majority opinion here, I'd say get one anyway, though, since it might help out and it's only a tenner or whatever to the AA. If some moron in an office wants to see it, then you've got it. If not, you didn't lose much.

Is your company paying some relocation expenses? If not, they should be! Car rental for the first month and a couple of thousand for the deposits you're going to have to make for being fresh off the boat would seem reasonable. If they agree, make sure they put it in writing.

BritishGuy36 Dec 30th 2009 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8206207)
for how long? I don't know about Illinois, but a lot of states only allow you to drive for around 90 days without a valid state driving license :ohmy:

In most states it's 30 days or less.

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 2:48 pm

I will def give state farm and perhaps a few others a ring to see what they say on this matter. many thanks - really helpful. Yes, fortunately I will have a bit of relo assistance from my co so hopefully it won't be too heavy on the pocket.

Thanks again all,

fatbrit Dec 30th 2009 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 8206297)
In most states it's 30 days or less.

In some states it's a rock and a hard place: you have to get your license in a shorter time than the grinding mechanism makes possible. Regardless, all should get a US license ASAP.

meauxna Dec 30th 2009 4:42 pm

If your company has moved people over before, they may have some helpful info for you. You could also ask the people who were moved previously for tips.
Just remember that the driving/license/insurance rules are different in every state.

Rete Dec 30th 2009 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by NiceOneDelBoy (Post 8206228)
I think you will find that you can get insurance using an international driving license number for a short time (I used to work for an insurance agency in PA). Although the rates will be higher than that of a US driving license applicant.

He does NOT require an international driver's license. That is only needed if your country's license is printed in something other than English.

For my Canadian husband the rates were no higher for him using his Canadian license. When he obtained his NYS license the rate remained the same.

celticgrid Dec 30th 2009 5:10 pm

Do you need an International Drinving Permit? It depends.

Technically for many things you don't. But get one anyway because some places / people will insist that you DO need it, and it is far less hassle to get one and flash it than try battling against their opinions.

FYI....I did what you are doing last year, though not in IL. Off the plane, bought a car with cash. No need for a SS number, just a valid license. That is, what the garage deemed was a valid license in the state. They took a UK license with the International permit.

Then wait a few days for a SS number, drive to DMV and get a learner's permit. Get used to the car, then take test in it.

Insurance? Used Allstate, who were happy to accept a letter I brought from UK showing driving history etc. to drive down the premium. Also, that Allstate office required the International permit. As far as they were concerned I had a valid license, even if it wasn't a US one. (Timing as to how long that works is state specific)

So, job done. International permit might not have been needed but it came in handy and for a few quid it removed an awful lot of potential hassle.

NiceOneDelBoy Dec 30th 2009 6:01 pm

I don't think I said it was a pre-requisite, but rather in my experience at an agency most were only accepted with an international license.... I believe most insurance companies domiciled in the US, have affiliations in Canada, Mexico etc. I knew a couple who had a french license and to the insurance underwriters it was processed and reviewed as an international license. I guess international license can have a number of variations in the insurance industries eyes.

Most insurance agencies have a tiered rating based on driving history, age and a lot of time credit. If you go into an Insurance Agency and have a non US (and some surrounding areas i.e. Canada, Virgin Islands etc.) It is likely that you will be placed in the lowest tier (and therefore highest price) until you obtain a US license.

(I guess I should put a disclaimer that this is just in my experience and also there are many considerations and discounts available i.e. documentation of driving history)

Bob Dec 30th 2009 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8206568)
He does NOT require an international driver's license. That is only needed if your country's license is printed in something other than English.

Or if it is the old style paper one without the photo...then it can be worth getting.

geordieland Dec 30th 2009 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Chicago Dean (Post 8205618)
Hi all,

New here - have read some previous threads re this issue but don't appear to answer my query. My wife and I will be moving over to Chicago from the UK in the new year, and I've realised that upon arrival I will need to wait approx 10 days before applying for my ss number.

(2) rent a house - still not sure if a ss number is required for this, but from what I've read a larger security deposit may negate the need for a ss number (given we have no credit history anyway).

So, given that with (1) I will be able to buy the vehicle, are there any insurers who will provide insurance without a ss number? anybody had any experience with this in Il?

And with (2) - any further advice?

Many thanks,

Dean

It has been a dozen years since I did this, but back then there was a difference on how long you could drive on your English license depending on whether you were visiting or moving to Illinois - it was a year if visiting and 90 days if moving. You could take a driving test as soon as you could meet the documentation requirements the most difficult thing for me to do was proving residency because we were in a company appartment. Providing you pass the driving test, they will issue you with a temporary licence which you can take with you to the social security office to help with the ss# application. Then you have to go back and get the full license!! Also before you take the driving part of the test they do a quick check of your car which includes registration and insurance docs - so I doubt you could do this in a rental.
You'll want to double check this (see if you can get a copy of the Illinois Rules of the Road from somewhere - I dont know if its available online) as, like I said this was a dozen years ago and I know that some of the ss# rules have changed in that time. My advice would be to rent for a few weeks/months, if you can afford it, you"ll have enough going without trying to figure that out too. We were fortunate and my husbands company let us 'rent' a car from them to buy us time to get organized - if you could negotiate something like this it'll definately take the pressure off.
As for housing - make sure you get advice on neighborhoods, if you can, work with a realtor. We live in the burbs but could help with some general advice if you need it.
Oh, and dont forget winter lasts until April in Chicago - dont forget your woollies !!

fatbrit Dec 30th 2009 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by geordieland (Post 8206856)
Also before you take the driving part of the test they do a quick check of your car which includes registration and insurance docs - so I doubt you could do this in a rental.

You normally need permission from the rental company to take the test in their car.

fatbrit Dec 30th 2009 6:45 pm

You'll want to double check this (see if you can get a copy of the Illinois Rules of the Road from somewhere - I dont know if its available online)

They're here: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...oad/rrtoc.html

Hint: don't ignore the parts about teenage drivers. They might not apply to you but they WILL be in the test.

BritishGuy36 Dec 30th 2009 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8206568)

Correct - however this fact does seem to be lost on some insurance companies, as it sometimes does make a difference (going by responses on here), even though it shouldn't.

BritishGuy36 Dec 30th 2009 8:24 pm

before you take the driving part of the test they do a quick check of your car which includes registration and insurance docs - so I doubt you could do this in a rental.

In most states you can take the test in a rental, as long as you can prove it's insured. Which leads me to.....

A lot of rental companies quote prices without insurance, even though it's the law that you must have insurance to drive it off their property. Some credit cards cover you if you buy the rental with the card, and some US insurers insure you for driving a rental car. So some renters don't even ask if you want the insurance. They may ask if you want a damage waiver of some kind - this is not insurance.

When I moved over I rented a car for 18 days, got the insurance, got an itemised bill to prove it was insured. The registration is somewhere in the car, so I had both registration and insurance documentation to produce at the driving test.

Bob Dec 30th 2009 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 8207043)
In most states you can take the test in a rental, as long as you can prove it's insured. Which leads me to.....

Another thing, check the insurance is valid for the purpose of taking a test with, as sometimes it might not be, especially if it's the standard one you've gotten from the rental.

dave2702 Dec 31st 2009 12:18 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 8206870)
They're here: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...oad/rrtoc.html

Hint: don't ignore the parts about teenage drivers. They might not apply to you but they WILL be in the test.

And make sure you learn the part on where to position you wheels when parking on a hill (in Illinois :eek:) everyone I know has been asked that question

Illinois DMV will let you take the test in a rental but make sure the VIN matches with the insurance documents

JT1 Dec 31st 2009 12:54 am

Originally Posted by dave2702 (Post 8207500)
And make sure you learn the part on where to position you wheels when parking on a hill (in Illinois :eek:) everyone I know has been asked that question

Illinois DMV will let you take the test in a rental but make sure the VIN matches with the insurance documents

Add me to the list - and yes, I got it wrong! I wanted to ask the damn computer, "well it depends on which way I'm facing doesn't it?" :( - I did some chunnering at the screen after that one!

Me and my husband are currently in negotiations as to who is taking our daughter for her permit and I'm currently losing - I hate it - I always get Mr Newbie who thinks I'm a terrorist in rural PA, looks over the paperwork as if it's written in another language, goes for his supervisor etc etc. Give me the dentist any day.

Chicago Dean Dec 31st 2009 8:46 am

Thanks for all the great advice all. really helpful.