British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can I get car insurance in Il without a social security number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-i-get-car-insurance-il-without-social-security-number-646610/)

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 9:23 am

Can I get car insurance in Il without a social security number

Hi all,

New here - have read some previous threads re this issue but don't appear to answer my query. My wife and I will be moving over to Chicago from the UK in the new year, and I've realised that upon arrival I will need to wait approx 10 days before applying for my ss number.

I had intended to arrive and
(1) try and buy a car (cash if pos) and have had confirmation from a few dealers that I can buy a car without a ss number as long as I would be paying cash and not financing the vehicle.
(2) rent a house - still not sure if a ss number is required for this, but from what I've read a larger security deposit may negate the need for a ss number (given we have no credit history anyway).

So, given that with (1) I will be able to buy the vehicle, are there any insurers who will provide insurance without a ss number? anybody had any experience with this in Il?

And with (2) - any further advice?

Many thanks,

Dean

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 9:25 am

Re: Can I get car insurance in Il without a social security number

forgot to mention I will be on an L1 visa and my wife an L2 if that helps.

dave2702 Dec 30th 2009 11:41 am

Don't know about the insurance, but another issue maybe can you buy a car without a Drivers Licence :fingerscrossed: and you won't be able to get a Licence without a SSN and without a licence then you'll have problems getting insurance

Make friends with Jesse White and the Illinois DMV

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks Dave. It would appear that my valid UK drivers is acceptable in the state - so hopefully that won't be a show stopper.

lisa67 Dec 30th 2009 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Chicago Dean (Post 8206128)
Thanks Dave. It would appear that my valid UK drivers is acceptable in the state - so hopefully that won't be a show stopper.

for how long? I don't know about Illinois, but a lot of states only allow you to drive for around 90 days without a valid state driving license :ohmy:

NiceOneDelBoy Dec 30th 2009 2:09 pm

I think you will find that you can get insurance using an international driving license number for a short time (I used to work for an insurance agency in PA). Although the rates will be higher than that of a US driving license applicant.

fatbrit Dec 30th 2009 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chicago Dean (Post 8205618)
I had intended to arrive and
(1) try and buy a car (cash if pos) and have had confirmation from a few dealers that I can buy a car without a ss number as long as I would be paying cash and not financing the vehicle.

The easy solution to the car is to rent for the first 2 or 3 weeks on your UK license.

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 2:26 pm

Many thanks all - I will prob have to rent a car and wait. I read that the international drivers was not valid in Il?

ChocolateBabz Dec 30th 2009 2:32 pm

We rented an apartment with no SSN's here in Houston, TX. Everyone required a deposit (apartment, electric, cable) due to no credit history but the SSN part was never a problem. We bought our cars without have our US drivers licences or SSN's - they were only interested in the money ;). We got our insurance with State Farm and were told to let them know our SSN's and US drivers licence nr's when we got them (which was only a couple of weeks later). Maybe you could give their office in Chicago a call and just check that they could do the same.

fatbrit Dec 30th 2009 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Chicago Dean (Post 8206257)
Many thanks all - I will prob have to rent a car and wait. I read that the international drivers was not valid in Il?

The international driver license is not important since your license shouldn't need translation. Against majority opinion here, I'd say get one anyway, though, since it might help out and it's only a tenner or whatever to the AA. If some moron in an office wants to see it, then you've got it. If not, you didn't lose much.

Is your company paying some relocation expenses? If not, they should be! Car rental for the first month and a couple of thousand for the deposits you're going to have to make for being fresh off the boat would seem reasonable. If they agree, make sure they put it in writing.

BritishGuy36 Dec 30th 2009 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8206207)
for how long? I don't know about Illinois, but a lot of states only allow you to drive for around 90 days without a valid state driving license :ohmy:

In most states it's 30 days or less.

Chicago Dean Dec 30th 2009 2:48 pm

I will def give state farm and perhaps a few others a ring to see what they say on this matter. many thanks - really helpful. Yes, fortunately I will have a bit of relo assistance from my co so hopefully it won't be too heavy on the pocket.

Thanks again all,

fatbrit Dec 30th 2009 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 8206297)
In most states it's 30 days or less.

In some states it's a rock and a hard place: you have to get your license in a shorter time than the grinding mechanism makes possible. Regardless, all should get a US license ASAP.

meauxna Dec 30th 2009 4:42 pm

If your company has moved people over before, they may have some helpful info for you. You could also ask the people who were moved previously for tips.
Just remember that the driving/license/insurance rules are different in every state.

Rete Dec 30th 2009 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by NiceOneDelBoy (Post 8206228)
I think you will find that you can get insurance using an international driving license number for a short time (I used to work for an insurance agency in PA). Although the rates will be higher than that of a US driving license applicant.

He does NOT require an international driver's license. That is only needed if your country's license is printed in something other than English.

For my Canadian husband the rates were no higher for him using his Canadian license. When he obtained his NYS license the rate remained the same.