Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I drive myself to my road test?

Can I drive myself to my road test?

Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I drive myself to my road test?

Originally Posted by Brandy07
I think I’ll get someone to drive me just to be on the safe side!
Why? If you have a valid UK DL and you have informed your auto insurance company you are driving using a UK DL...there should be no problem. Of course driving instructors will tell you they have to take you because they charge you for the privilege.

We were in NJ...hubby drove to the DMV for our test.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can drive for 12 mths on a foreign DL in Penn.

Straight from the horse’s mouth...

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Pages/FAQ%20Pa...stions.aspx#Q5
Thank you, that's interesting, I shall have to remember that.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Why? If you have a valid UK DL and you have informed your auto insurance company you are driving using a UK DL...there should be no problem. Of course driving instructors will tell you they have to take you because they charge you for the privilege.

We were in NJ...hubby drove to the DMV for our test.
I think the concern is the rule some states have that someone on a learner's permit is not permitted to drive in a test area, including to get there for a road test. It's unclear if PA has that rule, and as OP is allowed to drive in PA on their UK licence for a year, they could argue in any case that legally they haven't driven to the test area on their learner's permit. However, unless someone with knowledge of PA's law and practice can re-assure them that that would be allowed, I don't blame them for being cautious.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Found this
15. If I have my International Permit and Foreign License, do I need to bring a licensed driver over the age of 21?
If you hold an International Permit and Foreign License, you are not required to have a licensed driver accompany you to the exam.

I don’t have an international license just my UK one, so assume you need both to drive yourself.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Found this
15. If I have my International Permit and Foreign License, do I need to bring a licensed driver over the age of 21?
If you hold an International Permit and Foreign License, you are not required to have a licensed driver accompany you to the exam.

I don’t have an international license just my UK one, so assume you need both to drive yourself.
If you read the link in my previous post you will see that you do not need both. It is from the DMV website...you can’t get more accurate advice than that. Relax
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:36 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of getting shot down, that's contrary to the information I was told by the DMV themselves when I went to the office to ask the same question. They claimed the information about the ability to drive in PA for one year applied to visitors, but as soon as you establish PA residency, you have 60 days (as Pulaski said), as stated on this page.

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Service...Residents.aspx

Anyway OP, sounds like you're getting close to this not mattering anymore. The road test is a breeze BTW. When I took mine, the examiner heard my English accent, put her clipboard down and said "oh, well this will be easy". Which DMV are you taking yours at? I took mine at Malvern.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No you can't! That a common myth and simply not true - once you become resident you have 60 days, under PA law.

The "12 months on a foreign licence" is a federal law that applies to visitors to the US, but once you take up residence in a state, any state, the state rules apply, which means getting a local license somewhere between 10 and 90 days (depending on the state) after you arrive and become resident. Becoming resident is typically caused by things such as buying or renting a home, starting work, enrolling your child in a school, etc.

And FWIW if you are involved in an accident and found to not have a valid license, i.e. are driving beyond the permitted 60 days in PA, then (i) you can be prosecuted for that in addition to any other infractions, and potentially worse, you may find that you insurance company voids your insurance, leaving you personally liable for damages.

In any case as the written and road tests in any/all US states are pretty much a joke, there is IMO no reason not to get a local license ASAP anyway.
It isn't just for visitors the 365 days applies to residents as well. The Convention which the USA signed is a reciprocal one which gives the same rights to US licences in other countries, including the UK. When I challenged the Oregon DMV they freely admitted the resident requirement applied to those already holding another US license. Overseas license holders moving to the State had 365 days. I drove on my UK license for several months before I took the Oregon test.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The OP isn't a permanent resident. Looks like husband is on a 2 year contract.

I would take a screen shot from the dmv website shown in the link I gave...then I would show the staff that if there were problems.

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
At the risk of getting shot down, that's contrary to the information I was told by the DMV themselves when I went to the office to ask the samoe question. They claimed the information about the ability to drive in PA for one year applied to visitors, but as soon as you establish PA residency, you have 60 days (as Pulaski said), as stated on this page.

Anyway OP, sounds like you're getting close to this not mattering anymore. The road test is a breeze BTW. When I took mine, the examiner heard my English accent, put her clipboard down and said "oh, well this will be easy". Which DMV are you taking yours at? I took mine at Malvern.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 7th 2018 at 4:06 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Found this

An International Driving Permit is just a translation of your licence into a specific language, which would be English here obviously. I think you'd be incredibly unlucky to run into even a DMV employee that would insist on an IDP for a licence that's already in English, TBH.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:21 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

The OP isn't a permanent resident. Looks like husband is on a 2 year contract.

I would take a screen shot from the dmv website shown in the link I gave...then I would show the staff that if there were problems.
Nor am I, yet. At the time I was (and still am) on an L1. It's conflicting information which even some staff aren't aware of which rule to follow. You and lansbury make good and valid points though.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

At the risk of getting shot down, that's contrary to the information I was told by the DMV themselves when I went to the office to ask the same question. They claimed the information about the ability to drive in PA for one year applied to visitors, but as soon as you establish PA residency, you have 60 days (as Pulaski said), as stated on this page.

It actually says new residents with out of state licenses have 60 days not those with foreign licenses. I agree it’s confusing. The DMV put me into PennDOT as they weren’t sure and PennDOT confirmed I can drive here on my UK license for a year.

I’m probably going to go to Malvern unless I can get an earlier appointment at Media.
Did you drive yourself there?
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:30 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
An International Driving Permit is just a translation of your licence into a specific language, which would be English here obviously. I think you'd be incredibly unlucky to run into even a DMV employee that would insist on an IDP for a licence that's already in English, TBH.
Albeit in 2008...

When I was going through exactly what the OP is going through, in PA, when getting insurance sorted the Allstate person insisted on an IDP because the system told her to. I had one - easier to show and move on that get into wasted debate.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
Thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:33 pm
I don't (often) bite

It actually says new residents with out of state licenses have 60 days not those with foreign licenses. I agree it’s confusing. The DMV put me into PennDOT as they weren’t sure and PennDOT confirmed I can drive here on my UK license for a year.

I’m probably going to go to Malvern unless I can get an earlier appointment at Media.
Did you drive yourself there?
That was the point that the guy at the DMV made. He said that a UK license was technically an out-of-state license. It would seem, he was wrong!

I actually booked myself a driving lesson which included the loaner use of his car for the test. That way, he could present his insurance to the examiners and I took it out of the equation. The Malvern route for the road test is ridiculous. PM me, if you want details of where they take you!
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

That was the point that the guy at the DMV made. He said that a UK license was technically an out-of-state license. It would seem, he was wrong!

I actually booked myself a driving lesson which included the loaner use of his car for the test. That way, he could present his insurance to the examiners and I took it out of the equation. The Malvern route for the road test is ridiculous. PM me, if you want details of where they take you!
I guess it’s down to interpretation. You can argue it is an out of state license as it’s not a PA license, but on the other hand, the UK isn’t a state and you can’t exchange the license as you could if it were an out of state license.

I’ll let you know if I book Malvern - info on the test route would be good!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.