Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I claim unemployment?

Can I claim unemployment?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:47 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can I claim unemployment?

My company told us all today they are laying us off for a week and to get any money we have to apply for unemployment.

Now as a PR am I allowed to do this?

Is it a State or Fed. thing? I have never claimed unemployment in the UK or here so I am absolutely clueless.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:32 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I claim unemployment?

Originally Posted by sime303
My company told us all today they are laying us off for a week and to get any money we have to apply for unemployment.

Is it a State or Fed. thing? I have never claimed unemployment in the UK or here so I am absolutely clueless.
I guess you mean in a week. It's a State thing. You basically are entitled if you have paid in and can do it on-line

http://maine.gov/labor/unemployment/howtofile.html

If it's a lay-off you might want to check with state labor laws and company policy what severance if any you are entitled to.
Sorry to hear the news. I expect to see a bit more of these type of posts in the next year. Sign of the times unfortunately
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:41 pm

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
I guess you mean in a week. It's a State thing. You basically are entitled if you have paid in and can do it on-line

http://maine.gov/labor/unemployment/howtofile.html

If it's a lay-off you might want to check with state labor laws and company policy what severance if any you are entitled to.
Sorry to hear the news. I expect to see a bit more of these type of posts in the next year. Sign of the times unfortunately
Cheers for that. I really didn't have a clue where to start looking, should've guessed though. No I literally mean for a week, I couldn't believe it when they told us. I am going to have 2 weeks off at xmas as opposed to a 1 week shutdown (which they pay for some of the days as vacation days anyway) and the second week is the one I am going to have to claim for. I had no idea we could even do that.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that. I really didn't have a clue where to start looking, should've guessed though. No I literally mean for a week, I couldn't believe it when they told us. I am going to have 2 weeks off at xmas as opposed to a 1 week shutdown (which they pay for some of the days as vacation days anyway) and the second week is the one I am going to have to claim for. I had no idea we could even do that.
Closing down for a week or month is a strategy many employers seem to be planning. Presumably it is seen as relatively painless as health benefits etc. would be unaffected. New York State (my wife's employer) has a different take on it; they are talking about everyone losing a week's pay but not getting any time off in return. I heard on the BBC a few weeks ago that Honda in the UK are going to close down for a month but still keep all employees on basic pay for the month. I guess they reckon they'll still save money on that basis.

Last edited by robin1234; Dec 9th 2008 at 1:42 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Closing down for a week or month is a strategy many employers seem to be planning. Presumably it is seen as relatively painless as health benefits etc. would be unaffected. New York State (my wife's employer) has a different take on it; they are talking about everyone losing a week's pay but not getting any time off in return. I heard on the BBC a few weeks ago that Honda in the UK are going to close down for a month but still keep all employees on basic pay for the month. I guess they reckon they's still save money on that basis.
Cisco are forcing everyone to take 2 weeks at xmas I believe, to get the PTO off the books.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:32 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs tonrob was let go a few months back and she made a successful claim. While we are PRs, I don't recall that immigration status had a bearing on the application.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
Closing down for a week or month is a strategy many employers seem to be planning. Presumably it is seen as relatively painless as health benefits etc. would be unaffected. New York State (my wife's employer) has a different take on it; they are talking about everyone losing a week's pay but not getting any time off in return. I heard on the BBC a few weeks ago that Honda in the UK are going to close down for a month but still keep all employees on basic pay for the month. I guess they reckon they'll still save money on that basis.
Yeah my mate in England works for Honda at the Swindon plant and he works on the new models so even though they are closing for 2 months he still has to go into work and work on the Jazz they are planning to make there next Autumn. For the ones that are going to be off for 2 months (production associates) when they go back if they are required to work overtime they won't be paid for those extra shifts.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Your PR status won't interfere with your claim.
I haven't ever heard of being able to do this for just one week, buuuut, they must be on to something.

Most states you can do this online now; in Oregon I don't think they ever have to see you in person anymore.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Mrs tonrob was let go a few months back and she made a successful claim. While we are PRs, I don't recall that immigration status had a bearing on the application.
It shouldn't if it is unemployment insurance which you claim from, which is the case in Mass...oh and you get a 13 followed by a 7 week extension if you have paid in long enough, which is nice.

Doesn't mean that's the case in every state, but in most, and Maine is included, it is an insurance pay out that you claim if you've paid into, as long as you have continuously paid in for 6 months.

I think in Maine you can do it online, but either way, you are expected to apply for any old job, and they do check on you up there depending on where you live. FIL who claims when he is off work for mud season has to do it, even got offered a job doing someones lawn mowing once which he had to do to keep getting the money as technically all the wood folk are laid off during the mud season.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oh of course! Bob, you reminded me of reading about the ski resort people here.. they can/do apply for unemployment because there's no snow!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh of course! Bob, you reminded me of reading about the ski resort people here.. they can/do apply for unemployment because there's no snow!
There is snow in Vail, but they are laying off.

And in Breckenridge and probably many others.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:03 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that an employer who "lays you off" for a short, predetermined period with the idea of getting the government to pay a portion of your wages might be committing a form of fraud.

It's one thing to lay you off for some undetermined time period because they don't need workers and don't know when they'll need them again. It may be another to shut down the plant for a brief vacation period while getting the government to pay for it.

I'd be careful with this, and make sure that the law views this as a legitimate layoff. If you have a friend who knows labor law, I'd ask that person for advice.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:23 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I would think that an employer who "lays you off" for a short, predetermined period with the idea of getting the government to pay a portion of your wages might be committing a form of fraud.

It's one thing to lay you off for some undetermined time period because they don't need workers and don't know when they'll need them again. It may be another to shut down the plant for a brief vacation period while getting the government to pay for it.
This whole scenario sounds really fishy to me. I work at a private university, and the entire campus (well, almost) shuts down from Xmas Eve through New Year's every year. We get our regular pay and it is not counted against our vacation days. Closing the university isn't up to us -- it's an administrative decision -- but we still get paid and aren't expected to go to work during that 9-day period. If someone DID go into work, they'd still only get paid the regular rate, not overtime.

I honestly don't see how it can be legally possible for a company to essentially fire a non-seasonal employee for a week and then rehire them a week later. That just doesn't make any sense at all. If it's not a seasonal job, then you either work there or you don't... right?

There must be some major loophole being utilized here. Because otherwise it's 1) wrong for the employer to expect the government to cover the worker financially until they're "rehired" and 2) it's not enough time for someone to actually be able to prove that they qualify for unemployment benefits -- so the only one who truly loses out here is the worker.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

I honestly don't see how it can be legally possible for a company to essentially fire a non-seasonal employee for a week and then rehire them a week later. That just doesn't make any sense at all. If it's not a seasonal job, then you either work there or you don't... right?

There must be some major loophole being utilized here. Because otherwise it's 1) wrong for the employer to expect the government to cover the worker financially until they're "rehired" and 2) it's not enough time for someone to actually be able to prove that they qualify for unemployment benefits -- so the only one who truly loses out here is the worker.

~ Jenney
Right to fire state, so they can do that...the unemployment is also not technically a complete government benefit but an insurance you pay towards whilst you are working, and as you are let go, you technically can claim the money, it's just a % of your salary/wage though and the % depends on the length of work and the amount of money you earn.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
Cisco are forcing everyone to take 2 weeks at xmas I believe, to get the PTO off the books.
Closing Christmas Day to Jan 5th for all but very essential staff (customer support etc) - which forces everyone to use 4 days of vacation. It makes sense as loads of folks are out anyhow and it costs a lot just to keep the heating/lights/ancillary staff operating plus you get the chance to take the PTO accruals off the books. They are not suggesting we claim unemployment during that time though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.