Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I claim back Sales Tax?

Can I claim back Sales Tax?

Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I claim back Sales Tax?

Northern Washington state is full of Canadians shopping. I made the mistake of going out on the day after Thanksgiving and drove past an outlet mall. It was packed with Canadian cars, at least 50%, they backed up traffic everywhere. A stupid day to go shopping anyway, the deals are rarely any better unless you are the fifth person in line or nearer, which means standing in a queue for two days to save a less than a few hundred dollars.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The house prices in Vancouver are so high now I've encountered people who have a tiny condo downtown and they live in Bellingham or Blaine, Sedro Woolley etc. on the weekend.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
What I've found amusing in the past is that everyone in Canada comes to Alberta to shop (hence the West Edmonton Mall) because we have the lowest sales tax in the country, but people in Alberta go to Montana to shop because there is no sales tax!

If you factor in two tanks of gas and x days in a hotel it's a complete waste of time given the pretty low customs exemption limits (if you stay for a week it's a maximum of $750) but it's all about perception and whether CBSA catch you. If you go to Peach Arch POE and go into the hall for pedestrians you see all these people wearing these rather new looking clothes on their way back.

I think larger selection has something to do with it as well, I cross the border to shop because the selection on this side of the border is not as good as it is south of the border and for me anyhow its a quick trip, no hotel, not much gas, so the savings can be quite a bit vs buying in Canada.