Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I buy a gun?

Can I buy a gun?

Old Feb 8th 2009, 3:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I buy a gun?

Originally Posted by Norri
So what was the purpose of your question?

Do you want to get a permit for your illegal gun or do you just want to buy a bigger one legally?
Nothing Illegal there!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Nothing Illegal there!
How so? The OP doesn't know if he can buy a gun legally, so I assume, that he has no permit for the private purchase.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

You don't need a permit to buy a gun at a private sale in Florida...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

How so? The OP doesn't know if he can buy a gun legally, so I assume, that he has no permit for the private purchase.
No ..he did not know if he can legally buy from a dealer..
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected

Why do they bother with permits for dealers if I can buy a gun on the street corner with no probs?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would you need a permit to OWN the gun?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the state...not up in Maine, only to buy/sell the gun to a dealer...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:11 pm
Ray

I stand corrected
Why do they bother with permits for dealers if I can buy
a gun on the street corner with no probs?
Because not everybody wants secondhand guns, I would not,
unless I know the history, and technically you are not buying
off the street which sounds sordid .. but from newspaper ads
from private sellers or from friend or relatives

I sold a few recently, but only to people I know and trust.
and have a carry permit

Florida is different from a lot of states though
its actually illegal for the sheriffs dept to know what weapons
you own..
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:13 pm
Ray

Not in Florida ... no permit is needed to buy or sell or own privately

the only permit available is a carry permit ...

In other words if you just want to keep it at home ..nothing is needed
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Not in Florida ... no permit is needed to buy or sell or own privately

the only permit available is a carry permit ...

In other words if you just want to keep it at home ..nothing is needed
Ray:

Good thing to note. I note that OP doesn't say what type of weapon he plans to buy. [From my army days, I can't bring myself to call a firearm a "gun." But I digress. It was OK to call the 16/50's and the 5/38's on the Iowa a "gun" but not an M16A1. Go figure.]

The only point is that I want to emphasize is that even if the weapon is "legal" to own, a violation of things like carrying permits or concealed weapons charges can be bad new indeed for a non-citizen.

If OP wants to hunt and has the appropriate licenses, he should be fine for immigration purposes. However, a pistol is a different matter.

Had a client once who was a store-owner and kept an unregistered pistol adjacent to the cash drawer. He was robbed at gunpoint and the robber was walking out of the store when client pulled the pistol and shot the robber in the back killing him. Of course, this constituted a righteous prosecution for involuntary manslaughter. With my coaching, the defense attorney plea bargained it down to unlawful possession of a firearm [it was a very sympathetic case] and they I was able to avoid removal during the ensuing removal proceedings.

Although the facts may differ, it demonstrates that even if an alien possess a legal firearm, USE of it in a situation which is not self-defense can cause problems. [BTW, when Dick Cheney had that hunting accident, it helped me convince an IJ to reverse her decision on removability].
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:46 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
The only point is that I want to emphasize is that even if the weapon is "legal" to own, a violation of things like carrying permits or concealed weapons charges can be bad new indeed for a non-citizen.
I agree and as I said ..get a carry permit first ...
although you can in Florida keep a pistol in a car without a carry permit
..why take the risk .its another layer of protection for yourself
FL is far more liberal than CA of course about weapons of any description

In fact the carry permit is not just for guns, it applies to all weapons
and with the Florida "Castle Doctrine" legislation from 2005 the brady Bunch actually passed out
leaflets at Miami airport warning people that Florida resident will shoot them if
they argue with them..not happened yet

Brady scores CA the toughest gun law state
Florida is 36th

There is no registration of weapons in FL

http://www.bradycampaign.org/
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:05 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I agree and as I said ..get a carry permit first ...
although you can in Florida keep a pistol in a car without a carry permit
..why take the risk .its another layer of protection for yourself
FL is far more liberal than CA of course about weapons of any description

In fact the carry permit is not just for guns, it applies to all weapons
and with the Florida "Castle Doctrine" legislation from 2005 the brady Bunch actually passed out
leaflets at Miami airport warning people that Florida resident will shoot them if
they argue with them..not happened yet

Brady scores CA the toughest gun law state
Florida is 36th

There is no registration of weapons in FL

http://www.bradycampaign.org/
Indiana is a gun friendly state

As soon as my GC arrives, I'm off to the local cop shop, cheque inhand to get my lifetime CCW.
Then it's shopping time.

PS - Just read Massad Ayoobs "In the Gravest Extreme" recommended read for anyone considering toting a roscoe.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:09 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
Indiana is a gun friendly state

As soon as my GC arrives, I'm off to the local cop shop, cheque inhand to get my lifetime CCW.
Then it's shopping time.

PS - Just read Massad Ayoobs "In the Gravest Extreme" recommended read for anyone considering toting a roscoe.
They come 6th ...safest
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:18 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
They come 6th ...safest
LMAO - With you on that one!!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Try finding one, and then the ammunition for it!

I went to Bass Pro Shops this week, they were out of all ammo, Walmart only had 9mm and a sign saying patrons could only buy 1500 rounds of it per day. Yes only 1500!

Then today I was at the range, which was packed (I waited 1 hour to get a lane), and met a few guys who said the wait time on a new Glock was 3 weeks at the local gunshop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.