Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I buy a car without a driving licence?

Wikiposts

Can I buy a car without a driving licence?

Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:39 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I buy a car without a driving licence?

Originally Posted by English Muffin
Just to update this thread, I found out today that it is possible to buy and insure a car without a US driving licence. I am now the proud owner of a brand new Toyota Corolla.

Congrats!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky, I call it !
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeeDaz
Lucky, I call it !
Why lucky?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeeDaz
Lucky, I call it !
depends on the state don't it, and it's allowed in this one
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

It still might be a good idea to get an MA license as soon as possible - you've proven you can buy and insure a car without one, but I'm not sure that technically you can drive it if you are resident and do not have an MA license...
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rew1000
It still might be a good idea to get an MA license as soon as possible - you've proven you can buy and insure a car without one, but I'm not sure that technically you can drive it if you are resident and do not have an MA license...
You most probably can but only for a limited period of time...30 days...60 days etc.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

English Muffin, can you please detail what you had to do (and what order you did it in)?

I'll be in the same boat in one week, albeit in a different state.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
English Muffin, can you please detail what you had to do (and what order you did it in)?

I'll be in the same boat in one week, albeit in a different state.
The dealership I went to had no problem at all selling me a car with a UK licence, but they insisted on me arranging my insurance before they would let me drive it away - sensible really!

The insurance company said that they would insure me as long as I could show proof of when my licence was issued and that it had no endorsements on it. With UK licences that is no problem, I just faxed them a copy of the paper part of it. I arranged it all from the dealership's office and they were really very helpful and made it quite easy.

I now just need to get my driving licence but I'm getting married a week on Tuesday and I'll be changing my name so I'm going to do it after that.

Good luck with everything.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - sounds good. Had you contacted insurance companies before getting to the dealership, or did you just call one cold from there?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks - sounds good. Had you contacted insurance companies before getting to the dealership, or did you just call one cold from there?
No, I contacted them before to confirm that I could get insurance. I then called them from the dealership to set everything up - it was really very simple.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:49 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

You are coming to PA aren't you?

Our relocation company put us onto AIG international for insurance and they insured us on our UK licences. We bought cars from International autosource again suggested by the relocation company.
We had to hire a car for the first few weeks until the new cars were ready.
When the cars arrived at the dealership we just took our insurance and UK licence and collected them.
At some point AIG and Int. Auto must have liased because the insurance documents had the car details on them.

It's only two years ago but I can't remember exact details!!! (age)

We drove around for longer than we should have done on our UK licence. I think here in PA you have 12 months on a UK licence but we were told by PenDot that we had to have the International permit too.
But then you do get a different answer every time you ask them.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
You are coming to PA aren't you?

Our relocation company put us onto AIG international for insurance and they insured us on our UK licences. We bought cars from International autosource again suggested by the relocation company.
We had to hire a car for the first few weeks until the new cars were ready.
When the cars arrived at the dealership we just took our insurance and UK licence and collected them.
At some point AIG and Int. Auto must have liased because the insurance documents had the car details on them.

It's only two years ago but I can't remember exact details!!! (age)

We drove around for longer than we should have done on our UK licence. I think here in PA you have 12 months on a UK licence but we were told by PenDot that we had to have the International permit too.
But then you do get a different answer every time you ask them.
Wow 12 mths seems an awful long time. According to the Pa DMV if you have an out of state license you have 60 days before you must get a Pa license...don't know if this includes a UK license. As for exceeding the time allowed to drive on a UK license...you may find your insurance invalidated if you are involved in an RTA.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:06 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wow 12 mths seems an awful long time. According to the Pa DMV if you have an out of state license you have 60 days before you must get a Pa license...don't know if this includes a UK license. As for exceeding the time allowed to drive on a UK license...you may find your insurance invalidated if you are involved in an RTA.
There is a section on the website that tells you you have 12 months providing you have the right foreign license. If you have a french license you can just swap it for a PA one (there's a couple of other countries as well).

We now have our PA licenses and I'm sure it probably was not a good thing to drive longer than we were allowed.We have to have a medical here before we can take the written test and so when you first arrive and are trying to do so much else, finding a doctor to do a driving test medical is low on the list.
When we finally did do it it was all so simple.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:13 am
Who?

There is a section on the website that tells you you have 12 months providing you have the right foreign license. If you have a french license you can just swap it for a PA one (there's a couple of other countries as well).

Here it is ( I began to think I had imagined it!)

"Is an international Driver’s License valid in Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania honors a valid foreign driver’s license with an international driving permit for a period of up to one year. If the foreign license and/or international permit expires before one year, the individual must apply for a Pennsylvania learner’s permit to continue to drive in this state. "
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Here it is ( I began to think I had imagined it!)

"Is an international Driver’s License valid in Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania honors a valid foreign driver’s license with an international driving permit for a period of up to one year. If the foreign license and/or international permit expires before one year, the individual must apply for a Pennsylvania learner’s permit to continue to drive in this state. "
It always amazes me how they allow someone from a country that drives on the other side of the road a longer period of grace than a resident of another state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.