Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me why gas is so expensive?

Can anyone tell me why gas is so expensive?

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone tell me why gas is so expensive?

Originally Posted by JEM3110
I think it's shocking for everyone.

oh it's quite shocking i agree with, who wouldn't!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Seriously...

No natural disasters..... No shortages.... so why is gas still going up. We are on the verge of any miner disaster pushing gas to $5 a gallon:curse:
Tis the way of the markets!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ugacrew
The f***ing bast***s of OPEC, and that fact we're in Iraq. The Middle East has pulled down our pants and is giving us a good rogering. I think the moment they hear of any large scale plans of us finding an alternative renewable fuel source that makes us independent of the East, only will the prices drop substantially. I also think they are trying to milk us on a resource they know is going to run out. That's my 2 cents.
How very dare them nasty folk in the East hold the US to ransom

One of the reasons that the US seems to suffer higher increases in gas prices during periods of high crude prices, is that pretty much all of the price that is paid at the pump is the raw material cost, with very little being due to taxation. In contrast to, say the UK, where a large percentage of what is paid at the pump is taxation. Therefore a spike in the cost of the raw material will have a bigger impact on overall price at the pump in the US than it will in the UK, for example.

$3.50 per gallon is still far too cheap IMO, as even at that price it offers little incentive to the US consumer to find alternative means of transport, with people (my wife included) thinking nothing of commuting 30 miles or more to work everyday. Just my 2 cents

*Dons tin hat*
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:16 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by basementwaj
well i have been here a year now and dont think i am being spoiled paying $3.50 a gallon and paid $1 less when i got here. I think the European gas prices are just insane and played a part in my decision to move here
My husband's Company lured us over with the idea that "Oh, but the cost of living is SO much cheaper here in the US"!!

Yeah, like 'eck is it!

Household bills - the same
House prices - OK we have a bigger house for same money so better quality of life
Cars/petrol - in UK we could manage with the 1 car, now need 2
Food - same
Electronics/gizmos - cheaper
Haircut - same
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lofty79

One of the reasons that the US seems to suffer higher increases in gas prices during periods of high crude prices, is that pretty much all of the price that is paid at the pump is the raw material cost, with very little being due to taxation. In contrast to, say the UK, where a large percentage of what is paid at the pump is taxation. Therefore a spike in the cost of the raw material will have a bigger impact on overall price at the pump in the US than it will in the UK, for example.

$3.50 per gallon is still far too cheap IMO, as even at that price it offers little incentive to the US consumer to find alternative means of transport, with people (my wife included) thinking nothing of commuting 30 miles or more to work everyday. Just my 2 cents

*Dons tin hat*

and i agree with your 2 cents,
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:22 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.

Stop whining about expensive fuel in the US. Firstly, it has cost peanuts for years; secondly, it's cheaper than many other places; thirdly, there are lots of ways for this country to cut down energy consumption easily (insulate housing properly, buy more efficient cars, turn the heating down/AC up), and finally, it's never going to cheaper.

There are people that genuinely can't afford fuel (pensioners in the NE, for example), but their underlying problem is poverty, not gas prices.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lofty79

*Dons tin hat*
if there was a viable alternative to the car (ie good public transport over a wide area) i woudl agree. But i cant as there arent even any busses where we live and my wife has to drive 30mile to work every day. cant even car pool as no-one from her work lives near us. At least i get to work from home!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:26 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Indeed.

Stop whining about expensive fuel in the US. Firstly, it has cost peanuts for years; secondly, it's cheaper than many other places; thirdly, there are lots of ways for this country to cut down energy consumption easily (insulate housing properly, buy more efficient cars, turn the heating down/AC up), and finally, it's never going to cheaper.

There are people that genuinely can't afford fuel (pensioners in the NE, for example), but their underlying problem is poverty, not gas prices.
And really gas is pretty cheap compared to loads of other stuff – how many other liquids can you get a gallon of for $3?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
And really gas is pretty cheap compared to loads of other stuff – how many other liquids can you get a gallon of for $3?
i have never had to buy 18 gallons of cola to earn a living
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

$3.50? Try $3.75 at the cheapest pump and that is not even in downtown Chicago but the burbs!
Diesel is also more expensive than gas here.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
$3.50? Try $3.75 at the cheapest pump and that is not even in downtown Chicago but the burbs!
Diesel is also more expensive than gas here.
i dont mind paying $4 a gallon for diesel if im getting 50mpg
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:36 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Indeed.

It might be cheaper but any rise in price can have devastating effects on our economy. So any rise is a serious concern and shouldn't belittled. When you don't have incomes rising to meet the rise in price then the wallet takes a serious punch. About four years ago I could fill my tank at about $25. Right now it's at $45. I fill up each pay period but at the end of the year I'm out $520 that could have been placed back into the economy in several ways and not into the coffers of the oil companies who seem to be doing just fine with record profits of late.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

oh, and happy St. Georges day
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

The only effect I've noticed from gas prices going up is that the train is more packed. Which is a good thing in my opinion!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:04 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
I think it's shocking for everyone. If we were earning £££'s and not $$$'s it would be OK!
Well, we'd be earning half as many though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.