Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me about CT?

Can anyone tell me about CT?

Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default Can anyone tell me about CT?

I'm really interested in visiting CT to see if it's somewhere we might want to live one day. Can anyone tell me from experience of living there or visiting what it is like? I've looked at some websites, but i'd like to hear from those who live there or have visited. Pictures would be enjoyed!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone tell me about CT?

big state - where are you thinking? We live in NY just near the border - there are some great towns, beautiful beaches and parks, great fall leaves and I got obsessed by covered bridges....
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Big D
big state - where are you thinking? We live in NY just near the border - there are some great towns, beautiful beaches and parks, great fall leaves and I got obsessed by covered bridges....
Sounds wonderful! I'm pretty open, so feel free to fill me in on any of your favourite parts of the state. I am interested in being within an hours driving distance of NY, but not essential. I like what I've read about the Litchfield area, but again, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your response!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Sounds wonderful! I'm pretty open, so feel free to fill me in on any of your favourite parts of the state. I am interested in being within an hours driving distance of NY, but not essential. I like what I've read about the Litchfield area, but again, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your response!
The bits along the coastline as you move towards NYC are more industrialized, urbanized and there are a few crappy looking towns along the way (with exceptions, like very expensive Greenwich) but the rest of the state has quite a rural feel in the main. (The state capitol, Hartford, is also a bit of a dump but West Hartford is very nice and upmarket). Think lots of rolling wooded hills, green fields, small New Englandy towns with white-spired churches, winding roads, wonderful colours in autumn etc. etc. CT has a good selection of nice-looking beaches with soft sand and ok for swimming. There are also places where you can jump on ferries to do day or weekend trips to Block Island, Long Island etc.

In the winter, there is lots of snow and you won't see your lawn between January and late March. There are a few skiing areas around.

I Live in MA but work in CT so all of this is on my doorstep and I love it! Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you might have.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The third smallest state in the country (behind Rhode Island and Delaware) but one of the richest states as well (#1 by per capita, #2 by household income behind Maryland). While it may be small it does have a bit of variety, from beaches to urban wastelands to rolling countryside.

The bits nearest New York (and near the 'Northeast Corridor' rail service) are commuter bits that send folks into NYC every day. The countryside is quite beautiful, and if you are planning a visit I would STRONGLY recommend doing so in the Fall to see just an amazing display of colors (people flock there from all over the country to watch the leaves turn).

Are you looking for a commuter place into NY or a retirement place? Big or small town? If you are looking for a rural New England experience there are other places you could look as well, just to get a good flavor of the whole region. But as others have noted be prepared for snow.

EDIT: They actually publish 'Foliage Watch' in many papers and websites so you can gauge when the colors will 'peak' in certain areas. Google is your friend on that.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Cost of living might be higher than WV.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:07 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll echo a lot of what Tonrob said...

It's hardly a "big state", I think CT is the third smallest state in the country after RI and DE.

CT is really two states.

In general, the urban areas are run down and fairly dump-ish. Average incomes are low, crime is fairly high and the schools stink.

In contrast most of rural and smaller-town Connecticut is very upscale, attractive and posh.

It's very strange: Bridgeport, home of hispanic gangs, industry and good pizza, is close to to Greenwich and Stamford, home of multi-million doillar mansions, aryan I-bankers ("Aryans from Darien"), BMWs, French bakeries and trophy wives.

Most of the eastern Connecticut coast is famously preppy. Towns like Guilford and Madison have a distinct New England sea town feel similar to what you'd see in Cape Cod or Nantucket. Off the coast, there's the Needle Islands and places like Fisher's Island, all of which are famed long time retreats for the well-heeled. Listen to Vampire Weekend and you'll get the idea.

Inland, there are many smaller towns seem to be composed mostly of white picket fences, 250-year old rambling clapboard houses, prep schools and antique shops. Very much small-town New England. In stark contrast, most of the larger cities like New Haven, Hartford, Waterbury etc are gritty, industry focused and tough.

It's a really nice place to live if you like wine parties and you gots da bucks. It ain't cheap to live well in CT.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'll echo a lot of what Tonrob said...

It's hardly a "big state", I think CT is the third smallest state in the country after RI and DE.

CT is really two states.

It's very strange: Bridgeport, home of hispanic gangs, industry and good pizza, is close to to Greenwich and Stamford, home of multi-million doillar mansions, aryan I-bankers ("Aryans from Darien"), BMWs, French bakeries and trophy wives.
Define close. Bridgeport is nowhere near close to Greenwich. Now Stamford is close to Greenwich as is Byram but Bridgeport. No way.

As in most industrialized cities you will now find a large element of criminal activity. It goes with the de-industrialization of the area. Bridgeport is the home of some fine universities and is trying to re-vamp itself.

Since Connecticut borders upper Westchester County, New York to the west, the lower part of Massachusetts at its northern border and Rhode Island to its upper north east, there are many diversified living areas. They will range from the quaint New England type communities where everyone knows your name and business to the tony areas where there are acres between homes and the lives of the rich and famous are closely guarded. There are many state parks and lakes and miles and miles of shoreline which enjoy the less turbulent waters of Long Island Sound.

Cost of living will vary from town to town and until about 20 years ago there was no state income tax. Unfortunately, those days are gone forever.

There is always something to do and enjoy in Connecticut from walking along the beach, fishing in the lake, hiking one of the state parks, picking apples or pumpkins in the fall, trapsing through museums of art or maritime, visiting Groton to view the submarines or the coast guard, gambling at Foxwoods and/or Mohegan Sun, taking a weekend overnighter sail on a clipper ship out of Mystic Harbor or visiting the aquarium there. You can eat seafood caught fresh on outside tables or take a ferry to Long Island or Block Island (RI) (one of my favorites on the east coast to visit), do a day trip to Boston, and on and on.

I love Connecticut and actually all of the NE. There is much to recommend most of the NE in terms of sights, sounds and adventures.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:43 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Define close. Bridgeport is nowhere near close to Greenwich. Now Stamford is close to Greenwich as is Byram but Bridgeport. No way.
I live in Illinois, by IL standards, Greenwich is right next door to Bridgeport. Connecticut's about the same size as Chicagoland.

/grew up in Western MA, lots of family in CT, competed against Greenwich High as a zit-faced kid, used to take Metro North from New Haven to NYC every weekend to see my wife, can give you the names of all of the exits on the Merritt in order, as well as describe the bridge designs on the Merritt in order, knows what you're getting at

Last edited by Hiro11; Oct 9th 2008 at 2:45 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I live in Illinois, by IL standards, Greenwich is right next door to Bridgeport. Connecticut's about the same size as Chicagoland.

/grew up in Western MA, lots of family in CT, competed against Greenwich High as a zit-faced kid, used to take Metro North from New Haven to NYC every weekend to see my wife, can give you the names of all of the exits on the Merritt in order, as well as describe the bridge designs on the Merritt in order, knows what you're getting at

So can I as I live in Westchester and worked in Stamford for over 10 years and have gone up and down I-95 from the Bronx to Gailee Rhode Island many times. Have friends from BE who lived off of Black Rock Exit in Fairfield county who we visited many times. Husband works in Bryam [Hills]. Have even driven to Bridgeport a few times over the years as former deceased fiancee's niece lived in Bridgeport, CT.

A 25 to 35 minute car ride is not close by anyone's standard that I know of.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:57 pm
I approved this message

... move to the Midwest
Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in CT when I was a kid, and have been back a few times as an adult to visit. We lived in a tiny town called Old Saybrook, way over on the southeast point, a couple of blocks from the ocean. Riding my bike around the coastline was one of my best childhood memories (and one of my mom's worst nightmares...lol).

Love the fall colors. Favorite places to visit: Devil's Hopyard State Park, Gillette's Castle, and Mystic Seaport.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends what kind of travel time you're used to. I drive more than that far to work every day, so to me, a half hour drive is not far, might even be close, considering many places where live can be more than an hour away, and still in the same city.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:12 pm
Concierge

I'm talking I-95 thruway driving. Isn't Old Saybrook where Katherine Hepburn lived? I believe Letterman is in New Caanan
Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:17 pm

I'm talking I-95 thruway driving. Isn't Old Saybrook where Katherine Hepburn lived? I believe Letterman is in New Caanan
I think you're right about Hepburn. I guess 1/2 hour of freeway driving isn't "close", but I still don't think it's too bad. I'm used to things being an hour away on the freeway. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.